weekly Dacmirc's 52 Week Challenge 2013

Limited time, I'm afraid, so quick comments...

Space, on theme, I'd like to see more detail in the blacks and a bit wider.

Cheers.

Hi Lee

Space...great original take on the theme...the rebreather makes it work as very few bubbles (y) Smidge more on top , clone the strap & it's a good'un

Wild....simple but effective :)

For some reason it took me a min to notice what i was looking at :bonk::wacky::LOL:

Great take on the theme!

think I prefer the second pic though there is a bit too much white in there and the medal is to far into the right nice idea though (y)

Love both these last two - really well presented, your whites are whiter than an aerial advert - the medal is shinier than a shiny thing and the detail in the cloth is pretty amazing.

So it's only really composition to discuss :LOL:

like the vertical side to the first - the only other alternative I could see would be an obvious V shape - the fact the lines are not at 90º to each other works against you, but that's how they are.

second one bit too far right with too much empty space to the left, and the medal tucked under the light blue doesn't quite sit right.

But think they're both great (y)

Allan - cheers for commenting, i agree im going to do an edit of the second shot tomorrow how much white should i take off do you reckon?

Graham - cheers for commenting also. I managed to get the detail in the fabric because i shot it with my 50mm and a 13mm extension tube. I couldn't focus close enough to get the composition that i wanted.

I agree about the medal position but its attachment loops are there so cant put it anywhere else and to bring in more space on the right would mean the sleeve being in the shot and it looks messy.

Once again thank you for taking the time to comment.

Hi, Lee, #1 for me. Very sharp and the colours work well. Well composed and lit. The strips are a minor issue that could be straightened in PS, should you want to.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy, what tool would i use to straighten them in PS? I used the straighten tool on the vertical ones just not sure how to manipulate the others.

Cheers again!

You culd select the whole photograph and go to free transform or transform and try the distort, or one of the others to just drag it down, keeping ther vertical straight.

Let me know if you need a hand (y)

Cheers.

Hi Lee, looking at both sets of shots, the 1st in the second set stick out for me, very sharp with great detail :)

I like the first shot, for me it just looks to have slightly more gravitas! :D

Good job, well done (y)

Hi Lee, like the corner shot of no.1 rig best. Looks good with the angle of the gong, sharp focus and colour contrast. Good job matelot!

Hi Lee

Work - both good shots - good colour, detail and focus. For the theme, I prefer #2 as it shows the context of the medal, the ubiform and the wearer, whereas #1 could just be a medal laid on a piece of cloth, without the connection to work. Also #1 has some vignetting to cope with and the edit to straighten the lines has slightly altered the roundness of the medal. Like the new crop on #2 , reducing the white area.

Love the diving shot, even better that it was a simple P&S camera and it does suit B&W.

I think I prefer the first of the original shots for work, nice lighting and framing.

I don't think the box does the image any favours. I would have shot them on a plate. Plus the writing says you only get 1 1/2 cakes not all of them.sorry

I think the box is necessary for the idea to work - it's a tough one this week, maybe the scribbling out of the words needs to be clearer to show the intent that they are all for you.

Bit more DOF to get the donuts in focus too, as I'd like to see them as well as the important writing on the box, and there's a bit of an annoying red reflection.

But I see where you're going, and for a difficult week, it works for me (y)

I don't think the box does the image any favours. I would have shot them on a plate. Plus the writing says you only get 1 1/2 cakes not all of them.sorry

Hi Carl, Im not even sure this works too well for me either, your opinion is valid like all. Im glad you've said it didnt work for you in a way. Id prefare people to be honest in what they feel about the image rather than just commenting for the sake of it. So thank you for being honest.

I think the box is necessary for the idea to work - it's a tough one this week, maybe the scribbling out of the words needs to be clearer to show the intent that they are all for you.

Bit more DOF to get the donuts in focus too, as I'd like to see them as well as the important writing on the box, and there's a bit of an annoying red reflection.

But I see where you're going, and for a difficult week, it works for me (y)

Hi Graham, I didnt really like this weeks theme but this was my idea, kind of off the cuff actually when i noticed the misses putting them on the side in the kitchen.

I agree i should have scribbled out the writing more and maybe crossed the one on the middle out and changed it to "All For Me"

With the focus i was trying with a bit of selective but i can also see now that there is quite a bit more needed.

The annoying reflection i didn't notice, but now you've pointed it out it is rather annoying. Its actually a orangey reddy vase on the windowsill thats causing that i think. Guess thats another lesson in itself, clean your set of unwanted reflections first.

Finally thank you for commenting again guys.

I agree with the above. I'm normally a sucker for a shallow DoF, but don't think it worked here. I like the idea, especially with the crossing out the "for you" and "to share" parts, but I think that would have worked better done in a thick black marker or something? The idea itself works great though!

Doesn't scream gluttony to me, I'm afraid. I guess crossing the text out adds something but it's a bit too subtle for me.

Sometimes the themes are not to our liking.

Cheers.

I like the shot, as mentioned the DOF is a little shallow and the box isn't a great feature of the shot - but I can totally see why it was included to strengthen the theme!

I've not tackled this week's theme yet - it's probably the toughest so far I think!

agree with previous comments.
Didn't see the crossing out of the words at first look.

Like the idea and can see the thinking behind it IMO, crit as already said DOF and all the donuts in focus

I like the idea Lee. I think the box is necessary but I also think that a more noticeable and defined mark through the 'one to share' would have helped. The reflection is a little distracting though but nevertheless, a good composition and well in theme.

Gluttony.......I like that you've kept them in the box and not put them on a plate, the lighting and focus are nice. I would have just got a thick marker pen and wrote ME over the for you and share. There is a little light reflecting of the plastic in the lid so I may have removed that or tried a few angles to reduce it.

Back