weekly ChrisR's first go at a (digital or film) 52: week 37-42 added (to Reflection)

Thanks guys. There was a much more square on version of the Electric shot, but it was affected by the light input. I did manage to get a crop that was almost clear enough to use, but I felt it was too close and lacked context. I'll maybe add it... sadly you can see the light leaking, but anyway here it is...

CNV00003_zps5fb1e781.jpg

Still suffering from some distortion, as it was quite a bit higher than me.

Last edited:
electric is a really rather good spot - and an interesting photography too. great details captured in the brickwork. Is that all really painted onto those bricks??

I like the tree up the LHS, agree the bin could go, but it adds context to a town scene.

Direction is a good shot too. Very "on theme", signs, pointing all ways, for traffic and pedestrians + the directions being given by the traffic lights. I presume you waited for the moment to capture red-amber? (y)

Hi Chris :wave:

Space: Tells a story and well preserved with lovely colours. You've made a nice photo of a difficult subject composure.

Work: Again tells a story with the locked gates. "...No Hats, No boots, No Job..." again work safety theme.

Time: Time for Tea again, the angled boards with different colours add to the image but the window relection on the board detracts a bit.

Juxtaposition: They 'jux' of the CD sleeves, well caught.

Letter: Good idea. Presumed that paper on the floor was a letter by its size Stamp / address as said would have improved the theme but a nice take.

Electric: Unusual and not quite sure to be honest..

Direction: Really nice shot, signposts, traffic lights and pathway with barriers all indicative of direction. Well executed.

Hi Chris

Electric....think I prefer the 2nd version posted...still got plenty of detail in the brickwork , words nice n sharp & an interesting subject (y)

Direction...info overload these days ! Like it as it is , plenty of interest & great that you caught the lights changing...only thing I'd alter is the branch's top left..maybe clone them out ?

OK then, after a bit of a backlog for various reasons (once you get involevd with POTY it gets VERY dominating!), I think Tacky is next. This was my best sighting, in Peebles of all places:

DSCF51222_zpsb362024c.jpg
[/URL]

And then there was Value. I have two here. The prime pick, as it's film, is not really particularly inspiring...

[Note: image above edited with a crop before the thread announced...]

The second is the best of a fairly feeble series attempting a "still life" type setup. It's film... just not a film camera! (In case you didn't know, Poundland do Agfa Vista 200 colour film for... drumroll... £1! It's pretty good value, I think. But I had real problems with depth of field in various efforts to get the coin and the film both in focus and reasonably well lit. This stuff is harder than one might think; my hat off to those folk who manage a properly staged shot every week. Mind you, they may have more light than just the window...)

Last edited:
Well, greed has me completely stuffed! Having done gluttony quite badly, I've been finding the greed pic impossible. I've now two candidates that kind of fit the theme, but they're terrible photos! I'm going with this one; I don't know if it's really greed to live in a nice house like this with 4 recycling wheely bins and several recycling bags and a ride-on mower and no doubt several cars, but in today's society, perhaps it's close:

The backup is a worse photo, but kind of illustrtyes the excess of want over need... you can only see 5 cars in this front garden, but there are actually 8, and another 2 (at least) on the street!

Maybe I'll be able to add some more shots when my two films get back; I can't remember what's on them, though. These, BTW, were taken on the X10.

This one I've found a little easier, with several reasonable candidates to choose from. I'm going with this jumble of roofs on the corner of the nearby main street, from a century or so of extensions no doubt:

The backup is even older, a gen-u-ine tudor cottage (we have several fake ones nearby as well). What I like about these is that the brick bits are actually panels fitting between the timbers, doing nothing for holding the house up!

Hi, Chris, Greed, or success? I'd prefer Greed 1 a bit closer.

Angles 1 for me. Like this one. I'd preder some off the bottom, to focus the eye on the upper section.

Cheers.

Hi, Chris, Greed, or success? I'd prefer Greed 1 a bit closer.

Angles 1 for me. Like this one. I'd preder some off the bottom, to focus the eye on the upper section.

Cheers.

Yes, I think you're right (and I agree that the greed shot is a bit of a squeeze for the theme). Here's some re-crops of those two.

Greed closer:

Angles tighter:

Not quite the usual aspect ratios, but I think they look a bit better...

The greed crop works a lot better for me, but actually for angles I think you perhaps overcropped, and i preferred the original. Both work well though.

Hi Chris

Greed was a hard one...wayyy to close to gluttony for a lot of us but like you say , you've got the shot , posted & now to move on to the next theme (y)

Think I'd opt for the 1st image....the cropped version works better

Angles....again the cropped version of the none black n white house works well to me..plenty of angles going on there (y)

Both copped images work better though I am not sure the greed one says greed really

Greed: Like your thinking!

Angle: Great shot, never would have thought of that!

Ray, i've had my doubts about the cropping too, but in the end I think it works better. Without the crop it's a house with some interesting roofs. If you crop out the lower part, you're definitely focusing on the roofs, but if the whole of the chimneys left in it just looks like a bad shot. I decided that even though cropping the chimneys looks a bit odd, it makes clear that this is about those amazing roofs (I keep wanting to write rooves!). And there are lots of leading lines around linking the different coloured and textured areas. So I've decided I really like it! +1 to Andy for the idea. I hope it's taught e to look more closely at my shots...

A third of the way through wey hey!

Another non-film one this week from the trusty X10.

Rustic kissing gate round the back of Kenilworth Castle...

Hi

Rustic shot could have fitted in angle theme as well. Like the varying directions of the railings and gate.

Rustic, well spotted and interesting angle. Warn, Sunset lighting would improve, IMO.

Thanks both. I think you're right, the light is flat. I might try and get somelate afternoon sun on it (I don't think it's get the evening sun in that position). Maybe I should try and catch that one on film!

Hi Chris, looks good to me, nicely spotted. Shame about the annoying laminated sign, though.

definately a rustic fence and gate - afraid I agree about the flat light and the sign..... definately one to sneak back to at a quieter time of day. (maybe even with a few drawing pins in your pockets) :naughty:

Hi Chris, sorry I've not popped in for a while, time this year is not on my side!

The kissing gates are perfect for the theme, like others have said the lighting is a little flat and that sign really draws the eye, but I find everything these days has something 'modern' ruining it! However, I do like the angle of the fence as it leads you across and up the shot (y)

Last edited:
Thanks folks, I've done a re-shoot on film in better light, but I'm afraid the sign was still there and I didn't have any pins! When I get it bck I'll post it up: you will see the sign, but I'll be seeing it without the sign (probably)!

This was on Fuji Reala 100 ISO (expired in 2007), shot at 80. Sadly I messed up and didn't get the lab to scan, so had to scan it myself, so the quality is low and the colours a bit off. A reshoot of the roofs:

With primes rather than a zoom, I found I needed to be in the middle of the busy road to get the shot I needed, so it's not quite the same!

Same film as above. Camera Pentax ME, 85mm Pentax-M f/2 lens. One of the problems of scanning yourself with colour negative film is getting rid of the colour cast from the orange film substrate. I though I hd this OK, but it definitely has a magenta cast that has plagued me with colour negative scanning. The same kissing gate as before:

I've been completely stuck on this, and once again have had to shoe-horn something in so I can move on. So this is too many kinds of jam:

X10 at the Kenilworth Festival. Slightly better than the 4 packets of toilet paper, kind to b*ms or something!

I'm not sure I like this best, but I'll start with the film shot. Strictly speaking, perhaps this is Perpendicular rather than vertical? Bath Abbey:

That magenta cast is in there again (same film and fate)!

The backup, which I think I prefer, was yesterday with the X10:

I actually went to this location to try to get a vertical in-camera panorama shot of that tower and reflection. Nearly all of the shots ended up with obvious stitching errors (segments of tower not joining up). There was only one possible, but it looked a bit odd. On closer inspection, the reflection was not directly below the tower: there was a stitching error at the bank level! First time I've had stitching problems, but then, it's the first time I've tried a vertical pano!

Last edited:
[QUOTE I was disappointed that the focus was just a bit off[/QUOTE]
Re: your book photo, it is not soft or out of focus it just has a very shallow depth of field (something you will get used to when shooting wide open on a 35mm format). If you check the shot again you will see the book title is sharp everything else is blurred.

I was disappointed that the focus was just a bit off
Re: your book photo, it is not soft or out of focus it just has a very shallow depth of field (something you will get used to when shooting wide open on a 35mm format). If you check the shot again you will see the book title is sharp everything else is blurred.

Hi, thanks for the interest. I've just checked again; I think I was aware of the shallow depth of field issue (I'm a 35mm amateur from way way back!), but I think I had "Jane Austin" in good focus and "Pride" just sliding out of focus. With a digericam I'd have know pretty much straight away, but in this case I didn't find out until a week or two later!

Don't get me wrong, I love film, but for shots like that it's frustrating...:bang:

kind - that is a lot of different kinds of jam - can;t help but feel the sign in the foreground should have been removed first - but not sure I'd have been brave enough to do that so can;t blame you!

kissing gate looks better without the laminated sign as obvious as last time but definately see the purple colour cast...... you could remove in in PP, by adding a colour balance adjustment layer and adding more green in (opposite of purple), not too time consuming but obv depends how much processing you do generally, and what software you are comfortable using.

the abbey shot does certainly have an old time feel to it - one I'm not really familiar with as having only ever had digital cameras - only remember my dad having film ones when I were a lad.. the two trees flanking the abbey work well.

Shot of the tower seems that the reflections are taking over the shot, and the tower (and its reflection) are being dominated a bit by the trees..... (Would a few steps to the right have given it a bit more space??)

(y)

kind - that is a lot of different kinds of jam - can;t help but feel the sign in the foreground should have been removed first - but not sure I'd have been brave enough to do that so can;t blame you!

kissing gate looks better without the laminated sign as obvious as last time but definately see the purple colour cast...... you could remove in in PP, by adding a colour balance adjustment layer and adding more green in (opposite of purple), not too time consuming but obv depends how much processing you do generally, and what software you are comfortable using.

the abbey shot does certainly have an old time feel to it - one I'm not really familiar with as having only ever had digital cameras - only remember my dad having film ones when I were a lad.. the two trees flanking the abbey work well.

Shot of the tower seems that the reflections are taking over the shot, and the tower (and its reflection) are being dominated a bit by the trees..... (Would a few steps to the right have given it a bit more space??)

(y)

Graham, thanks for this. I think you're right, "kind" would be better without the sign, but I don't have the tools or skill to do that!

In the tower shot, I was aiming for the reflection plus tower as a long vertical line, down as much as up, so I wasn't tilting the camera upwards. I also wanted the tower to be there, but not necessarily the main point of the shot. I wanted the organic, loopy forms of the trees (which sort of echo left to right, and also frame the shot a bit) to contrast with the straight lines of the tower, and I also wanted a bit (more) of that reflection wobble so there was a contrast top and bottom. Quite a lot to ask!

I did try standing a bit to the right, from memory, but it made the tower too central in the frame, and too prominent in the composition. Also I was in danger of falling in!:nuts:

I quite enjoyed this week, with lots of candidates of quite different types. I'm going with two patterns from nature, both with technical flaws, as I think they make the most arresting images. [EDIT: both of these are from the X10, should have made that clear; don't think I have any film pattern shots.]

I thought this beautiful tulip had the most stunning pattern I saw:

The pattern on this dandelion seed head is more subtle, but still lovely:

So... for a few hours I'm up to date with images (not with comments, I'm struggling with that!)

Last edited:
Hi Chris

Patterns...love the bold contrast on the Tulip ,little close at the top with a hint of blue fringing ? not sure that's even possible with a film camera but the exposure on the flower looks spot on (y)

Vertical...pylon shot for me...like that you caught the full reflection & that it's slightly off centre (y)

I agree with Lynne and Andy.

Lovely focus and separation on the dandelion, On the whole I prefer the Tulip but I would have to get rid of that blue fringe...

Back