Webby Photo52 - Week 52 - Glass added

Nice catch up Adie. Ex mil myself so saw the punchline of the joke coming. Regardless great shot accompanying it. Nice composition and detail.
Your Tropical shot is great too, no reflections, I like the clarity of it.
I can totally relate to Wrong and laughed when I saw it. I have a whole family that behave like that.
Nice Paradox and one i hadn't come across when researching. having read it a couple of times i understood it. good idea to keep the shadow in to save it being isolated.
Enjoyed viewing your catch up and look forward to seeing the rest of your 52

Martin

Hiya Adie,

Sorry but I seem to be going against the grain here on the Power shot .....

At first glance (not having the military expertise) I didn't see the connection. Then I read the 'joke' which was amusing, but still couldn't find the connection (perhaps because I've had a stressful day) .... anyway .....

From a photographic perspective I like the composition, I'm just not sure about the halo effect, especially above the arm and below the hand (it seems a bit inconsistent to me). You also have a bit of a dust bunny, 11 o'clock to the glass ;)

Perhaps if I had more knowledge of the regalia associated with the army and navy I would be able to appreciate yours and other's photos more. Something I am sure I will learn through this photo52.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Dawn,

No probs not "getting" the photo theme. It was a bit self indulgent, and is only really understood by those who have ever known a WO1 or someone who knew a WO1 in the forces.

As for the halo, that was actually the lighting on the background. I needed to isolate the arm, so I fired a flash at the backwall from behind the subject, through a blue gel. I didn't like how uniform it was, so I put a glass statue in front of the flash, which distorts some of the light. The pattern is random, but I do see how it seems to halo the arm.

I will check for dust later when on my pc, as on iPhone at moment.

Anyway, despite not getting the reference I hope as a stand alone photo it is still pleasing.

Rgds

Adie

Hi Adie, must admit I've got no idea about the military references, but I really like the photo.
Just a good, well composed, lit and exposed shot. Gives a feeling of a confident, competent officer.

<snip> Anyway, despite not getting the reference I hope as a stand alone photo it is still pleasing.<snip>

Hiya Adie,

Indeed it is still a pleasing photo. When I first saw the pic I thought it was of an airline pilot sitting enjoying a glass of sherry :LOL:

It's amazing how much I am learning through this Photo52, not just about photography, but also general knowledge :D

Cheers

Hi, Adie, as soon as I saw your power I had, as ex-Army, a quick shudder at the recollection of some of my WO1...:puke:

I like the relaxed nature of the photograph and the juxtaposition of the power, WO1 badge, and the alcohol.

Quite tight left and right??

Cheers.

Thank you all for your kind words of encouragement. It has inspired me to both catch up when I dropped behind, but to also keep at it, and not just settle with banging out some snap shots, but to keep thinking and working at my photography. We are 18 weeks in, and i thank you all for making me stick at it!

Thanks all.

OK, here is week 19, Divided.

I hope no explanation is needed for this. For info, the back ground is not PS, but black card and white paper.

52Dividedweb.jpg

So, which side of the fence are you????????

I hate it! :puke:

Rgds

Adie

:puke:

Marmite gets a big thumbs down from me.....

Nice crisp photograph, well composted and nice background touch.

I have to mention the slight flaw above the T??

Cheers.

<snip> I have to mention the slight flaw above the T <snip>

:LOL: Thumb print evidence of a Marmite lover (the other fingerprints are on the back of the jar :D

Oh and I am with Michael on this one (y) Can't beat Marmite and Cheese on toast ..... yum, yum :D

Oh and I know what Michael means about the black card not looking quite black, same here on my screen too, especially around the neck of the jar and the lid.

Otherwise a great idea and shot for the theme.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback, I think I rushed the PS work, so I will redo the RAW file, and re post later.

Rgds

Adie

OK, I checked on another monitor at work, and could see the slight lightness on the black card.

So I went back to the original file, clipped the blacks, and sorted out the sticky fingerprint. Hopefully a better version! (y)

Now, "I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, I must not rush my PP, ............"
:D

52Dividedwebver2.jpg

Loving that edit Adie - superb and original!

Good work!

...ps - Whoever looks after the IT at your work must order seriously good hardware.... :naughty:

Like it; when I saw the topic this was the first thought that came into my mind. I wish I'd not seen this now as I now have to go and think to something else :thinking:

Second image after PP is much cleaner, definitely a (y)

Hiya Adie,

(y) on the edit.

Cheers

Brilliant shot Adie, can't fault the edit. Very well done.
As to the questyion of what side of the fence I'm on. I've managed to live my life without ever trying the stuff. Can't bring myself to buy a product that even the manufacturers tell me I have a 50% chance of hating.

Just a quick flying visit to your 52.

I take it the marmite shot is for the WRONG theme... great shot! Well worked.

Mark

That is just a brilliant image for "divided". Love it. The revised version is even better. A really well executed shot: excellent lighting, composition, focus and detail.

love divided... not marmite though.. but the idea of the contrast behind the subject... ties very well together... now ..pop the jar in the bin and we can all move on... :naughty:

Hiya,

Even though I have already commented, I thought I would just pop past and say I have such a craving for Marmite and cheese on best buttered toast ...yum! yum! ... :exit: off to make some now!

Ok, here is week 20 (a day late too grrrrrrrrr).

The idea behind this shot was rushed, as I had a great plan for this theme, but ended up working away all week, and unable to get a model in time I had to rethink it.

So here it is....

As parents we make promises to our children that we will keep them safe and protect them from harm...
As children we make promises to do as we are told....
As a photographer I made a promise to keep my standards high, and do a shot each week....

All three made with good intentions, but none are ever kept :)

So this is it, I hope the shot does convey the meaning.

Overall I'm not too happy with it. It was a three light shoot, so technically quite complicated, but it doesn't jump out like some of my other shots. A re-shoot at some point I think.

Week20-Promise.jpg

Rgds

Adie

Here is my take on "Twisted".

I wanted to try and get that Silent Hill feel, the most twisted game I have ever played.

Week21-Twisted.jpg

Enjoy

Rgds

Adie

adie..it ****e the pants off of me..!!! what sick twisted mind you had for that photo... big (y) .. for the concept though...

Hiya,

Even though I have already commented, I thought I would just pop past and say I have such a craving for Marmite and cheese on best buttered toast ...yum! yum! ... :exit: off to make some now!

only a sadist would enjoy and relish the thought of spreading tar on yummy toast .... :puke:

Hiya Adie,

Wow .... that is one hell of a spooky photo.

Well done on the processing, especially the eyes, and the head turned to the back. How on earth did you manage that?

The angle works well as does the grungy feel and the text is spot on.

:clap:

Cheers

Just a question... is this a self portrait?!?

I love it... but not sure it needs the writing! I think it takes something away from the image rather than adding to it... makes it more of a poster rather than a twisted guy! Maybe because its because I dont have a clue what silent hill is... but I just think the image speaks for itself!

Yes it was a self portrait !!

Taken as three photos with a locked off camera and off camera flash.
One of the room, one of me facing the wall and one of me facing out.
Some PS work and i joined them.

I agree the words are not needed, but it was just a nod to the Silent Hill franchise, and most stand alone images from that series have the words, so I just added them.

Just google Silent Hill images for more ideas on how twisted it is :)

PS I don't look that bad normally ;-)

Adie

I would not know where to start with photoshop and joining 3 photos together like that... I love it as an image... but its not my thing photography wise... I tend to take a more traditionalist view but simply because in a way I still being behind a camera rather than in front of a computer with photos... that said its horses for courses... it really does not matter how we get there its the effect on the viewer that matters... and your photo is fantastic for twisted!

Well done!

Back