Webby Photo52 - Week 52 - Glass added

I too prefer the 2nd. I think the part of the closed head in the background of the first shot is a little distracting. The inside of the flower on the 2nd one is really nice. If I had to critique I say I'm not quite comfortable with the tip of the top right leaf being cut off. I think it should all be there or else cut off more. But that's just being picky. Good shots but the 2nd is best.

I'm not a great fan of flower photographs, but these are quite well done.

#1, the dark patches one the petals and to top right bud (?) I find distracting.

#2, best of the two and I don't mind the crop. I like the translucent effect you've achieved.

Cheers.

OK, here we go, almost at the half way point :D

The first of my shots was taken on a walk at Lulworth cove (but not this week, so I have cheated a little :nono:), and was a pure fluke (well the shot wasn't, but the SAR helicopter doing a flight over the cove was). Lucky for me he did a second loop of the cove, giving me time to swap lenes for my wide angle, and a chance to put a grad filter on.

SAR.jpg

The second shot was an exercise in lighting. I "borrowed" some of my son's HRT SF (Hostage Rescue Team, Special Forces) miniature military figures, and thought they would prove a challenge to light.
I have tried to light a black figure, so it looks like it is at night, and in macro! :wacky::wacky:

This 52 for me has been all about pushing my lighting skills, and learning new techniques, and lighting a macro shot for atmosphere was certainly fun! :bonk:

Week25-Rescueweb.jpg

I may even try a re-shoot on this theme later on during the week. Strange how I was so uninspired by last weeks theme, and I'm full of energy about this one!

#1 is great, but I skimmed straight to #2 which I really like.

Very atmospheric. Really well composted, nice depth and the smoke really adds to the reality. The details, especially with the lighting, is stunning.

Very nice job there...(y) one of the best photographs I've seen for a long time.

#1 is great, but I skimmed straight to #2 which I really like.

Very atmospheric. Really well composted, nice depth and the smoke really adds to the reality. The details, especially with the lighting, is stunning.

Very nice job there...(y) one of the best photographs I've seen for a long time.

You Sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. I'm glad you liked the lighting on 2, I was really trying to light something so small with the control I have over a full size model, but without the shot looking like the lighting is the main feature, if that makes sense. This was lit with two flashes, a snoot and a gridded snoot, with a reflector (CD) just to soften the rear figure! Glad it was appreciated.

Thank you.

Hiya Adie,

Wow! What can I say, except well done on both counts :clap:

I love the first shot, and how lucky for you that they did a second fly past and that you recalled this from your archives (I have one for this week that is also from last year .... definitely not as good as this of yours ... but I think I will add it just for the fun, not necessarily for the critique which I will explain in the post). But I have to say that is one of the best landscape photographs I have seen of the cove and I hope to be able to visit the area later this year and try my hand at getting some shots of the landscape. Any advice on techniques, camera equipment etc to use for this type of photo would be greatly appreciated.

Then just when I was in awe of your first pic I see the 2nd shot and Wow! again..... this is brilliant! I love the detail you have captured in the figure, the lighting looks spot on to me (even though I still have a lot to learn about same, but your shots are definitely good examples to follow). The smoke adds to the whole ambiance and flows in such a way as to not cloud the subject.

And might I add that the framing compliments both photos perfectly too (y)

I think these two photos are definitely my highlight for your photo52. We are nearing the half-way mark, and if this is the standard we are going to have to match we have our work cut out for us :bang:

Well done (drat ... there was nothing I could point out wrong on these :help:)

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hi Adie

I liked your bright shots a lot... and the grease proof paper idea is so simple but effective... I think I make the thought of lighting possibly harder than it actually is.

Now for you Rescue shots... quick of the mark with this weeks theme. I LOVE the first and contrary to the others here I much prefer it to the second... I think all I'd maybe do is crop it just a bit to give the helicopter more impact. This is exactly the sort of pic I want to do for rescue... unfortunately being at the right place at the right time is a serious factor.

Your second shot is great but maybe a bit more smoke and a touch more light would have improved it for me...

Im not being critical as your shots are way better than mine and week on week you produce. I am now officially woefully behind with this 52 as I just dont seem to get the time i'd love to devote to it... both in commenting on others pics and taking my own. What's more annoying as I'm doing more photography than ever at weekends... but very often its favours for people and assignments that dont produce images I can use on here.

I can honestly say of all the 52ers yours are the images I most look forward to seeing... Well done!

Hi Adie,

#1, normally I'd say it's a nice shot, but you've gone and stuck it next to your #2 which makes it look like a lucky holiday snap, so I'm going to ignore it and move straight on.

:clap::clap::clap: and :clap::clap::clap:
If you didn't read the comments with the shot, you could be forgive for thinking you had dressed up a model in some military gear. I don't think you could get the lighting any better. It looks far from an action man thingy/ toy. The second figure in the background is great and really adds to the shot. My only crit, and this is a small one, is that the smoke looks a little sharper than the figure. Is it the same shot or a layer?

Well done and one hell of a bench mark for the rest of us.

Hiya Adie,

Wow! What can I say, except well done on both counts :clap:

I love the first shot, and how lucky for you that they did a second fly past and that you recalled this from your archives (I have one for this week that is also from last year .... definitely not as good as this of yours ... but I think I will add it just for the fun, not necessarily for the critique which I will explain in the post). But I have to say that is one of the best landscape photographs I have seen of the cove and I hope to be able to visit the area later this year and try my hand at getting some shots of the landscape. Any advice on techniques, camera equipment etc to use for this type of photo would be greatly appreciated.

Then just when I was in awe of your first pic I see the 2nd shot and Wow! again..... this is brilliant! I love the detail you have captured in the figure, the lighting looks spot on to me (even though I still have a lot to learn about same, but your shots are definitely good examples to follow). The smoke adds to the whole ambiance and flows in such a way as to not cloud the subject.

And might I add that the framing compliments both photos perfectly too (y)

I think these two photos are definitely my highlight for your photo52. We are nearing the half-way mark, and if this is the standard we are going to have to match we have our work cut out for us

Well done (drat ... there was nothing I could point out wrong on these :help:)

Cheers

:ty:
Wow, not sure what to say, but thank you very much. Support like this is certainly one of the motivating factors that keeps me taking photos each week. It also means I can't rest on my laurels, and I need to keep my standards up for another 25 weeks :puke:

Hi Adie

I liked your bright shots a lot... and the grease proof paper idea is so simple but effective... I think I make the thought of lighting possibly harder than it actually is.

Now for you Rescue shots... quick of the mark with this weeks theme. I LOVE the first and contrary to the others here I much prefer it to the second... I think all I'd maybe do is crop it just a bit to give the helicopter more impact. This is exactly the sort of pic I want to do for rescue... unfortunately being at the right place at the right time is a serious factor.

Your second shot is great but maybe a bit more smoke and a touch more light would have improved it for me...

I’m not being critical as your shots are way better than mine and week on week you produce. I am now officially woefully behind with this 52 as I just dont seem to get the time i'd love to devote to it... both in commenting on others pics and taking my own. What's more annoying as I'm doing more photography than ever at weekends... but very often its favours for people and assignments that dont produce images I can use on here.

I can honestly say of all the 52ers yours are the images I most look forward to seeing... Well done!

Thank you, and please be critical (y) Without criticism I will just end up taking shots that please me. I like criticism, providing it’s honest and constructive. I may not agree with it, but it helps me understand how others view and interpret my photos. That helps me when planning the next shot. So like I said to Dawn, thank you, you are keeping my motivated.

Hi Adie,

#1, normally I'd say it's a nice shot, but you've gone and stuck it next to your #2 which makes it look like a lucky holiday snap, so I'm going to ignore it and move straight on.

:clap::clap: and :clap::clap:
If you didn't read the comments with the shot, you could be forgive for thinking you had dressed up a model in some military gear. I don't think you could get the lighting any better. It looks far from an action man thingy/ toy. The second figure in the background is great and really adds to the shot. My only crit, and this is a small one, is that the smoke looks a little sharper than the figure. Is it the same shot or a layer?

Well done and one hell of a bench mark for the rest of us.

Cheers. It was a pleasing shot to pull off, but I agree with you about the smoke. Unfortunately, I think I have hit upon the very problem Gerry Anderson hit with Thunderbirds. You can scale down everything except fire and smoke. All you can do there is change the volume. I think my smoke suffers from being out of proportion compared to the figures. But it isn't a layer, it was all caught in camera.

Still, it's a learning curve for me too :)

Thanks for your comments and support.

Rgds

Adie

Adie you ARE having fun. I rather like your 2nd flower for all the reasons you already know; thanks for the greaseproof paper tip (y)

The flying helicopter is on them but that is a magnificent landscape shot regardless, lovely and moody well suited to the theme and the chopper presence (y)

As for your rather dangerous looking man, that is one very moody looking shot, brilliant. Now we want a thread from you telling us the story... ;)

Hi Adie

Your nu 2 shot for rescue is just brilliant...I didn't read the words at 1st & spent ages trying to figure out if it was a real person or not :LOL: Really superb shot...you should be well pleased:clap:

I prefer the 2nd of your flowers shots , the crop suits it , the color is spot on as is the lighting .Thanks for the tip on greaseproof paper...I'll have to give that a try (y)

Beautiful landscape shot for Rescue as well ( is that the place called Durdle Door ? ), well done for being a sharp eyed tog & getting the capture...bang on theme:clap:

Week 26 - Sensual (NSFW)

Click HERE for week 26

Week 27 - Elaborate

This was an elaborate set up, trying to get the soft light right, in a dark room, with the back wall behind the bed unmovable!

I wanted to also show the elaborate lengths woman go too to seduce a man (thankfully) :naughty::nuts: when all they need to do is turn up and say "You've pulled!"

Keira1web2.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

Adie

Last edited:
Enjoy it....I'm a married man...:D

First thing I noticed was it appears a bit misty?

Great eye contact and position of the model (?). I really like the red rug and the shadows from her legs.

I'd rather the square cushion wasn't here.

Cheers and I'm sure more drooling guys will be along shortly....:naughty:

Hiya Adie,

I have been waiting with baited breath for your photo for week 26 'Sensual', especially as you made it sound so intriguing ... and then I see you have titled this one week 27 Elaborate ... have you skipped a week or is this supposed to be week 26 :thinking:

Regardless I think you have done well with the lighting, the shadows of the legs are slightly distracting, but overall I think you have done great work here (y)

I can fully appreciate trying to get the soft light right in a dark room ... that was a major challenge for me on my week 26.

I actually think the background/wall suits the image well, so wouldn't worry about that.

Now if I'm right that you got the weeks mixed up ... I can fully understand why :naughty:

Well done anyway and I bet you had a great time ;)

(EDIT: just noticed the other link ... to quick to reply I am :LOL:)

Cheers

Last edited:
Hiya Adie,

Now that it has 'dawned' on me that you edited while I was posting my previous reply, I have since been to visit the link and WOW ... you have done a super dooper job with your sensual photos and can appreciate why you didn't add the photos here, but rather a link to the Glamour thread.

Very well done and I like the processing you have applied.

Hey and well done to you too for getting two weeks in one shoot, how convenient was that for you ;)

Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks, and I'm glad you finally spotted I didn't get my weeks mixed up ;)

I'm going to do all my commenting on the usual photos tomorrow. Sorry I haven't done so yet, but I've been sooo busy this week.

Rgds

Adie

I love the dark light in both weeks 26 and 27.

I'm not a fan of the pose in week 27, it doesn't say seductive to me, open legs suggests something different. Seductive would have been better with the model laying on her side on the bed with her head on one hand.

Either way though, most men I know would be happy with any pose and "you've pulled"

Great work.

Hi Adie

superb shot for Sensual...the lighting & pose ( particularly the 2nd one ) are spot on for the theme . Love the 50's style effect...definately Sensual :clap:

Like the 1st shot as well just ...the position of her arms I'mnot sure on...looks a little .....urmmmm , can't put it into words , uncomfortable is the closest I can get .

Great work though (y)

Meant to say...like your thinking behind Elaborate as well ...great lighting :)

Last edited:
Enjoy it....I'm a married man...:D

First thing I noticed was it appears a bit misty?

Great eye contact and position of the model (?). I really like the red rug and the shadows from her legs.

I'd rather the square cushion wasn't here.

Cheers and I'm sure more drooling guys will be along shortly....:naughty:

Thanks, this was a bit of a departure from my normal approach to models, but I have just bought the coffee table book of 50 years of Playboy, and noticed the 50s style of glamour was all about softer light and focus. I did shoot her face pin sharp, and on f8 she should be all in focus, but maybe the colour bleaching I did has softened the shot a little. I also only applied an unsharp mask to the underwear and hair, so maybe that has added to the misty effect.

I love the dark light in both weeks 26 and 27.

I'm not a fan of the pose in week 27, it doesn't say seductive to me, open legs suggests something different. Seductive would have been better with the model laying on her side on the bed with her head on one hand.

Either way though, most men I know would be happy with any pose and "you've pulled"

Great work.

No probs Neil, I know glamour isn't everyone’s cup of tea. Interesting what you said about her open legs though, as I deliberately shot her in poses where she didn't have that ladsmag/modern glamour open leg look. I'm guessing we just have different ideas about what constitutes open legs :bonk:

I did shot other poses, and some with her laying down on her side, but I chose this because of the lighting was more "elaborate", and the underwear was more prominent. Thanks for taking the time to post.

Hi Adie, 2 superb pictures for me. Great poses and lighting. I like the pp you have done on these as well. Great work (y)

Many thanks

Hi Adie

superb shot for Sensual...the lighting & pose ( particularly the 2nd one ) are spot on for the theme . Love the 50's style effect...definitely Sensual :clap:

Like the 1st shot as well just ...the position of her arms I'm not sure on...looks a little .....urmmmm , can't put it into words , uncomfortable is the closest I can get .

Great work though (y)

Meant to say...like your thinking behind Elaborate as well ...great lighting :)

Again, many thanks. The comments about the pose I'm taking onboard. I suppose as a photographer (and a man) I didn't notice the pose as being uncomfortable. Was too busy trying to coax a nice expression from the model, and checking the lighting was right. :LOL:

Elaborate - wow... that is an excellent picture. Liking the lighting you used. How long did that take to set up..?

I missed your sensual post - photbucket pulled it... Don't they have a section for um more risky pictures?

If it is anything like this elaborate picture then it must be great!

Thanks. The lighting took about 20 minutes to get right. It was predominantly a gridded BD, with a rim light and reflector. But positioning it in a tight room to get the effect I was after, and light enough to expose her correctly took some trial and error :puke:

Ok, here we go again.
Went for the obvious symbolism for the theme, but tried hard to do some cleaver lighting that doesn't look clever.
I back lit the scene using a softbox, but still needed to pick out the champers label, but not leave a catch light on the bottle.

Hopefully everything is on theme, and well lit :D

Any errors in PP is due to being slightly drunk after the many takes this took to get right :banana:

Week28-Celebrate2web.jpg

I like it Adie.
The green reflection in the left hand glass is a little off putting, but I guess it's natural of the situation, plus I don't know if you could avoid it.

I'd rather there was some more definition around the right hand glass too.

Other than that it hits the theme and it's a nice image, with just the right amount of DOF.

Now you've given me an idea, so it's off to do some research!

Hi Adie....

great shot for Celebrate ....DOF just right , bubbles in the glass & the drop running down to to the stem on the lefthand glass just perfect....makes me wanna reach in & have a sip :clap:

2 little niggles are the brightness of the light so loosing a little definition on the right glass ( possibly as you said , due to you partaking of the props though ! ) & I really wanna see the whole of the label & top of the bottle....but maybe thats just me :LOL:

except what has been said adie, all i would pick up is the detail in the glass..but like most say..maybe its this screen. overall fits the theme...

why not try without the bottle... but with some party poppers.. (or will i get shot for suggesting those LOL)

Hiya Adie,

Love the take on the theme and bubbly is always a definite symbol of celebration.

I have to agree with most comments and critique already made by fellow members. There is something about the bottle that bothers me ... can't decide what it is though ... think it may have to do with the top missing and also the alignment of the front label not aligned with the dark back label which draws my OCD attention.

However, looking past that I like the way the light bounces around the crystal and bubbles, in addition the champers bottle reflected in the neck of the left hand flute is so cool.

Main thing is you enjoyed consuming the props whilst doing the shoot (y)

Well done

Cheers

Last edited:
I like it Adie.
The green reflection in the left hand glass is a little off putting, but I guess it's natural of the situation, plus I don't know if you could avoid it.

I'd rather there was some more definition around the right hand glass too.

Other than that it hits the theme and it's a nice image, with just the right amount of DOF.

Now you've given me an idea, so it's off to do some research!

Thanks,
Yeah, the problem with crystal is light passes through it :LOL:
I see what you mean on the right side of the right glass, but again, there is so little substance in crystal and champers to add extra definition, especially as I was blowing the BG by shooting into a softbox. But, point well made, and I will try to avoid the blending in of the edges if I shoot like this again.

Hi Adie....

great shot for Celebrate ....DOF just right , bubbles in the glass & the drop running down to to the stem on the lefthand glass just perfect....makes me wanna reach in & have a sip :clap:

2 little niggles are the brightness of the light so loosing a little definition on the right glass ( possibly as you said , due to you partaking of the props though ! ) & I really wanna see the whole of the label & top of the bottle....but maybe thats just me :LOL:

Hi, thanks,
I wanted the lable to be visable, but not the subject if that makes sense. I wanted people to see it was Veuve Clicquot, and that would help say "celebration" more than say "Blue Nun" :bonk:

Hi Adie, I like this, but I agree with Neil and Lynne, I don't suppose you have one without the bottle in?
Hi, thanks, yes I do have ones without the bottle, but I liked the balance of a splash of colour. I may post the other shots later.

except what has been said adie, all i would pick up is the detail in the glass..but like most say..maybe its this screen. overall fits the theme...

why not try without the bottle... but with some party poppers.. (or will i get shot for suggesting those LOL)

:nono: to party poppers ;)

Hiya Adie,

Love the take on the theme and bubbly is always a definite symbol of celebration.

I have to agree with most comments and critique already made by fellow members. There is something about the bottle that bothers me ... can't decide what it is though ... think it may have to do with the top missing and also the alignment of the front label not aligned with the dark back label which draws my OCD attention.

However, looking past that I like the way the light bounces around the crystal and bubbles, in addition the champers bottle reflected in the neck of the left hand flute is so cool.

Main thing is you enjoyed consuming the props whilst doing the shoot (y)

Well done

Cheers

Thanks,
To be honest I see what you all say about the bottle, but this was just a bit of fun for me, playing with light, and I wanted to bring some colour into the shot from somewhere, and the bottle just seemed the obvious choice.
Maybe I lost my way a little after take 4 or 5 (hic) :beer:

Thanks all...

Rgds

Adie

Last edited:
Here is my effort for week 29, Smell.

I played around again with some lights, and tried to get that end of the night feel, when a comforting smell acts as a mental trigger and carries you off to a nice place.

(I need to point out I don't smoke, and this was a me suffering for my art :) )

Week29-Smellweb.jpg

Rgds

Adie

Hi Adie...as usual another great capture & bang on theme (y) The lighting & shadows , your expression all hit the spot & agree with your sentiments about smells taking to a nicer place .

The B&W works a treat...can't help thinking this would look great framed on a wall in a gentlemans club or as an advertising image....(y)

adie.. i love the mono SMELL ... i can smell the aroma from here... great lighting..though for noir surely your face would be more in shadow in keeping with the sunlight through blinds feel..

reminds me of the first whiff you get when i used to open the crate of havana's fresh in from china, not sure if they'd been rolled on any virgin's inner thighs though???? personally i'm a pipe and slippers chap so sympathise with the suffering for the name of Art..

I agree, really great take and fits the theme well.

I had a Cuban a few weeks ago and the first thing we all did was smell it.

Lovely.

My only crit is that I'd rather the watch wasn't in there. Now I know they had watches in the 50s but, for me, I'd rather it wasn't there.

Cheers.

Hiya Adie,

Well done on another super shot for the theme. I can almost smell the cigar too.

The expression on your face says it all. The shadows work well as does the pose.

After reading what Andy said about the watch it now draws my attention :bonk: although my eyes keep going back to the cigar ... so the watch is obviously not too distracting to hold my attention for long.

Well done

Cheers

Great shot again Adie. I agree with Andy on the watch though. Not a major distraction but I think it would be worth a little burn to darken it slightly. Great lighting as always.

Back