Webby Photo52 - Week 52 - Glass added

Hi Adie

WOW....that is some set up & effort you put in to Explode....:clap::clap: Love everything about it (y)

& as for Fun....spill the beans mister :LOL:

Hi Adie

WOW....that is some set up & effort you put in to Explode....:clap::clap: Love everything about it (y)

Thanks, much appreciated. (y)

& as for Fun....spill the beans mister :LOL:

:whistle: I might re-take the shot from a different angle, but then again, I might just sit back and note that not everyone works on the same wavelength as me :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Adie

OK, week 41. Rapid.

Not in a position to shoot an Aston Martin at speed (I am SOOOO jealous of that!) I needed to think outside the box.

So here it is: Rapid Response

My modern take on a Bodie and Doyle type team. (y)

"In the 21st century, the digital global battle-space has reduced the limit of opportunity to respond to extreme events. Rapid reaction to these situations requires a hard and fast solution. Rapid response, rapid assessment, rapid entry, and rapid fire to prosecute the target."
Rapid3web.jpg

Rapid2v2web.jpg

Before anyone panics, the gas mask is army surplass from a market stall, the pistol is a toy, the smock is just an old coat and the Team member is my son, who felt a right plonker dressed up and standing in the front room :bonk:
Cheers son (y)

Last edited:
Oh ye, love that.
#2 does it for me.
Great lighting and composition.
It all looks real enough to me.

I'm trying to get into off camera flash, so I'm going to guess at how you've done this!
Two flash units, one on the head and the other on the hand?
Both with a snoot of some sort to keep a beam of light?
The head shot is left and from above the head?
The hand shot is left and more level with the hand?

How did I do?

Oh ye, love that.
#2 does it for me.
Great lighting and composition.
It all looks real enough to me.

Many thanks.
Off camera flash is the way forward (y)

Two flash units, one on the head and the other on the hand?
:clap:

The head shot is left and from above the head?
The hand shot is left and more level with the hand?
:clap:

Both with a snoot of some sort to keep a beam of light?
:thumbsdown:

8 out of 10 LOL

To be fair, that is a good guess, and I always deconstruct everyone else's photos for how they lit them. (y)
For this shot, I was happy to have some light spilling so didn't need to snoot the flash guns. I did use low power, and move them in close to the hand and head. This means the distance between the flash and the object is very small, so the light doesn't travel past the object very far! A handy trick if you want soft light without hard edges, but don't want everything lit. Snoots are good for this too, but they tend to have harder edges.

Kind rgds

Adie

Many thanks.
Off camera flash is the way forward (y)
Adie

I picked up a YN560 a couple of weeks back.
I've not had chance to try it properly, but I've used it on the likes of smoke and water drops. Well made up with it. Looking at a stand and soft box next and maybe 2nd flash, cheap and used!

For this shot, I was happy to have some light spilling so didn't need to snoot the flash guns. I did use low power, and move them in close to the hand and head. This means the distance between the flash and the object is very small, so the light doesn't travel past the object very far! A handy trick if you want soft light without hard edges, but don't want everything lit. Snoots are good for this too, but they tend to have harder edges.
Adie

I'll have to remember this.

I picked up a YN560 a couple of weeks back.
I've not had chance to try it properly, but I've used it on the likes of smoke and water drops. Well made up with it. Looking at a stand and soft box next and maybe 2nd flash, cheap and used!

I'll have to remember this.

The YN flash guns are great, I have one and for Off Camera flash they are excellent.

I fire mine with a YN 602 and indoors it works a treat.
If your interested in stands, sb etc. I can send you a link to a company i use that are good, and cheep (y)

Adie

The YN flash guns are great, I have one and for Off Camera flash they are excellent.

I fire mine with a YN 602 and indoors it works a treat.
If your interested in stands, sb etc. I can send you a link to a company i use that are good, and cheep (y)

Adie

Please do send the link.
The car has an MOT this month so fingers crossed I have some money left over!

Hi Adie

can't give any crit on your shots for Rapid....can only say....

BRILLIANT...the thought process...the set up...the lighting...:clap::clap:

As always, many thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment. Glad you like the photos :)

Rgds Adie

Hiya Adie,

I saw your shots earlier today, viewing on my netbook, which is not the best for image quality. I composed a response .... but unfortunately it didn't take ... which made me realise I have to reply to all posts when I am home and viewing on the big screen.

First of all .... well done to your son ... who has done a fantastic job as a model for you :clap:

Your photography skills, especially regards lighting are definitely professional! I sometimes wonder if you aren't a professional tog :thinking:

The two photos combined form a series for me. Although I have to say the first doesn't say rapid as much as the 2nd shot, which is very powerful to me in many ways.....

The 2nd shot really struck a chord with me .... especially as I grew up in South Africa and this was an image I often feared, with the violence etc there, and having friends succumb to such a fate. It is no fun looking down the barrel of a 357 or 9mm short :eek:

So as an image .... this really got my heart up to a 'rapid' beat!

Well done on the composition, mood, lighting, though process etc. Now this is the kind of photography I want to produce one day without post processing!

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Adie,

I saw your shots earlier today, viewing on my netbook, which is not the best for image quality. I composed a response .... but unfortunately it didn't take ... which made me realise I have to reply to all posts when I am home and viewing on the big screen.

First of all .... well done to your son ... who has done a fantastic job as a model for you :clap:

Your photography skills, especially regards lighting are definitely professional! I sometimes wonder if you aren't a professional tog :thinking:

I'll pass on your comments to my boy, and nope I'm no professional tog. But I do like to approach everything I do in a professional manner ;)

The two photos combined form a series for me. Although I have to say the first doesn't say rapid as much as the 2nd shot, which is very powerful to me in many ways.....

The 2nd shot really struck a chord with me .... especially as I grew up in South Africa and this was an image I often feared, with the violence etc there, and having friends succumb to such a fate. It is no fun looking down the barrel of a 357 or 9mm short :eek:

So as an image .... this really got my heart up to a 'rapid' beat!

Well done on the composition, mood, lighting, though process etc. Now this is the kind of photography I want to produce one day without post processing!

Cheers

Thanks Dawn,

And what was nice was that you spotted a meaning in the photo that I hadn't even considered, the rapid heartbeat of someone on the receiving end.
Brilliant.

As for producing photos like this, without PP, I know you can do it!
(y)

Adie

Rapid no.2 for me....

Only nit pick is I would like to have seen the end of the gun barrel.....

Another great weekly submission from you though....

Many thanks Jeff,

There is a lot more I would have like to have achieved with this shot, and you have nailed one of my not quite right elements, no lighting on the end of the pistol. But my son was not the easiest model to pose correctly in the limited space of my front room! I had to grab what I could when I could :)

I would love to have had backlit smoke in the room too, but the wife said NO! :bang:

Thanks for the feedback

Kind Rgds

Adie

Adie,

I first looked at these on the works monitor which makes everything look darker.
When I looked on them at home, I noticed there is a black halo around the gun in the second shot and an even darker piramid shape on the top of the gun. Has this been caused by some PP?

It's something I've struggled with on my smoke shots, getting painted blacks to match the black background. I'm just wondering what you've done and why, part of my lighting lurning curve matbe?

Adie,

I first looked at these on the works monitor which makes everything look darker.
When I looked on them at home, I noticed there is a black halo around the gun in the second shot and an even darker piramid shape on the top of the gun. Has this been caused by some PP?

It's something I've struggled with on my smoke shots, getting painted blacks to match the black background. I'm just wondering what you've done and why, part of my lighting lurning curve matbe?

Thanks mate :)
You are right, and now i've looked at it on another machine I can see the black marks. I used some PP masks, just to even out the slight inconsistencies in the background, but on my cr@p laptop, I didn't notice the mask had shown through. :bang::bang:

I have amended the shot, and used a version without the layer mask.

Thanks for spotting, lesson learnt, don't trust my laptop screen :)

Adie

Here is my take on WEAVE.
Almost at the end now, just a few more photos :D

This was a three flashgun shoot, and the weave is the sheath on the rope core, and the figure of 8 on the bite!

Hope it's ok.

Week42-Weaveweb.jpg

Week42-Weave2web.jpg

Adie

Last edited:
Hi Adie

I really like your shot. I think I prefer the first one to the second. I wish I had your lighting skill and knowledge. I still need to get myself some off the hotshoe type kit to try and plaay about a bit more with my two flashes.

Untill this year i'd never done anything with a flash so if the 52 has done one thing its give me the gumshon to buy and try a flash!

I think i'd have liked just a tad more DOF so the whole knot was in focus... but its a minor crit!

Im really struggling with the last few themes to come up with different ideas rather than the obvious which others have shot already.

Keep up the good work.... oh and loved your rapid shot too... defo shot 2 was what I liked the best... wish I had some of the kit and props you have at your disposal!

Mark

Hi Adie

I really like your shot. I think I prefer the first one to the second. I wish I had your lighting skill and knowledge. I still need to get myself some off the hotshoe type kit to try and plaay about a bit more with my two flashes.

Untill this year i'd never done anything with a flash so if the 52 has done one thing its give me the gumshon to buy and try a flash!
Thanks. Once you try off camera flash you will never go back. Seriously, the total control you have over lighting is truly liberating! Look up Yongnuo 603. They are cheap and very good to learn with. I'm using the older 602s and they work a treat and only cost a few quid on fleabay!

I think i'd have liked just a tad more DOF so the whole knot was in focus... but its a minor crit!

Im really struggling with the last few themes to come up with different ideas rather than the obvious which others have shot already.

Keep up the good work.... oh and loved your rapid shot too... defo shot 2 was what I liked the best... wish I had some of the kit and props you have at your disposal!

Mark

Many thanks. (y)

Adie, you chose my favourite colour rope ;)

Love the dof on these but I have to say my preferred shot is #1 as the composition is the better, IMO.

Well lit, interesting and beautiful (y)

Thanks Tina.

But to find a girl who has a favourite coloured rope :nuts::naughty:

Adie

Hi Adie, I wondered if rope was going to figure in pics as well as mine. Two really nice pics, great lighting and dof. I do prefer the composition of number 1 too.

Many thanks, rope is always a good prop! :D

Hiya Adie,

Viewing here on my netbook at camp, so not the best monitor to view on, but have to agree with the rest, #1 looks best composition wise.

From what I can see, nice control of lighting. I wish I had your resources for lighting, I don't even have a hotshoe flash yet, still depending on my lamps and onflash.

Cheers

Last edited:
yep adie.. i can see why everyone likes raym... i mean number 1 .. the way the subject leads through the photo.. well done.. lovely detail and colours (y)

Great clarity, use of focus to emphasise the weave. Super colours and very sharp.

#2 for me, my eye follows the role down and is drawn up the orange thingy....

OK, week 43, and after looking at everyone else's take on Abstract, and the division it caused, I thought I would look at the word another way, and do a photo without the "art" connotation :D

After just finishing my OU BSc(Hons) thesis, the word Abstract has a different meaning, and one that with a bit of luck will earn me enough points to pass with :)

Week43-Abstract2web.jpg

Week43-Abstract1web.jpg

Two photos again, as I'm not sure which I prefer.

At the end of all this, I'm going to do a photobook with the 52 photos in it as a nice reminder of this years challenge.

Rgds

Adie

Hi Adie, out of the 2, I would choose the 2nd version, I feel the glasses are to prominent in the 1st and they take my eye away from the abstract part itself, the 2nd composition is a lot easier on my eye. An excellent idea, why I didn't think of that take, I don't know! Good luck with passing. I agree, the photobook is a great idea, I reckon I will be getting one done myself.

Hiya Adie,

Well done on completing your thesis and good luck.

I like your different take on abstract and also prefer the second shot for the reasons Michael mentioned.

Your photo book will look fantastic with all the great shots you have taken over the year.

Cheers

Back