Webby Photo52 - Week 52 - Glass added

Great shot for wind. I can see why it's the watch of choice for 007.

I also like the reflection on the records. My screen needs a clean, but it also like the surfaces of the records are dust free, which I found to be a pain in the arse to achieve. (y)

Hiya Adie,

Great shot for time, love the bokeh.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Week 37 - Mix

Now this one was rushed!!!! But I have tried to mix a few processing techniques. I was aiming for texture over content, but keeping on theme. Not sure I pulled it off, still not long now until it's all over!

mixweb.jpg

OK, back on track with my time keeping, (I know i'm still 2 photos down!).

I wanted to have a little fun with this shot, really keeping on theme!!
No complaints please! Wasn't sure which processing treatment, so I've uploaded two versions (slightly different) and with different post work.

I've tagged this NSFW but to be honest, it's safe! :naughty:

Fun2web.jpg

Fun1web.jpg

Mix
When I consider the shots you've done previously in your 52, this one dissapoints me.
It's a mixer on a stone/ marble worktop and that's all it says. Sorry.

Fun
It could just be me, but I cannot make out what it is :thinking:
I see a battery (I think it's a battery), notice your ref to NSFW and can make out the word 'vibration', add that to the theme of 'fun' and I hope I'm comming to the wrong conclusion!

I prefer the second shot for it's slight colour, but as I cannot make out what the image is I'm struggling to find any interest in it.

Mix
When I consider the shots you've done previously in your 52, this one dissapoints me.
It's a mixer on a stone/ marble worktop and that's all it says. Sorry.

Fun
It could just be me, but I cannot make out what it is :thinking:
I see a battery (I think it's a battery), notice your ref to NSFW and can make out the word 'vibration', add that to the theme of 'fun' and I hope I'm comming to the wrong conclusion!

I prefer the second shot for it's slight colour, but as I cannot make out what the image is I'm struggling to find any interest in it.

No probs mate. I'm not happy with the mixer, but as I said it was rushed. Just trying to balance my life and keep up with the photos.

As for fun, no probs again. This one I am happy with, as I was trying to shoot something without it being obvious what it was. I think your right that the blue one is better than the B&W.

Happy snapping.

Haha, the Torre Agbar building in Spain per chance?

Cheers Kev :)

Here is my Volume entry.

Ideally I would love to have used the Spinal Tap amp, which goes up to 11 (y) but this Fender amp will have to do ;)

I hope these are OK.

Volume2web.jpg

Volumeweb.jpg

Rgds

Adie

Thanks Joe.
It was my nifty fifty (EF50mm f/1.8)
The cheapest lens I own, costing only about £70 brand new, but it is FAST and pin sharp too.
Every Canon owner should have this lens in their bag!

Hi, Adie, main issue for me with your mix if the lack of contrast. I'd like to see the darks darker and the lights lighter. There's potential there, perhaps closer up to the mixer head??

#1 vibrate for me. Overall, though, doesn't grab me. Spill the beans...what is it??

Volume, both are well composed and nice dof. Again, though tyhey don't grab me.

Cheers.

Hi, Adie, main issue for me with your mix if the lack of contrast. I'd like to see the darks darker and the lights lighter. There's potential there, perhaps closer up to the mixer head??

#1 vibrate for me. Overall, though, doesn't grab me. Spill the beans...what is it??

Volume, both are well composed and nice dof. Again, though tyhey don't grab me.

Cheers.

No probs Andy, the more I look at Mix , the more I am annoyed with myself for posting it. :bang:
It was lazy photography by me, and in an attempt to rush it so I didn't get yet another shot behind I didn't take due diligence with it. :nono:
This is one for a definite reshoot!

As for fun, I too like the B&W, the glossiness and richness of the blacks, but I'm also drawn to the coolness of the blues in the second shot, hence why I posted two, just too indecisive I think!:shrug:

Volume for me was about grass roots photography again. Well composed with attention to lead-in lines, foreground interests and good exposure, as well as hitting the theme. The fact it doesn't grab you is OK, you can't please all the people all the time :crying:

Kind rgds

Adie

Adie appears to avoiding the answer!!

I learnt about this theme while on the 52ers meet and said there would be a few shots of volume dials. These are the first I've got to and I suspect they've set a high bar!

I'm not a fan of the plug in the BG of #2, but other than that they're great.
It's clear there has been a lot of thought about the composition, and the DOF works very well in both, well done, I love them.

Only neg is that you've got me wanting a nifty 50 again after I've just spent my money on a flash!

Hi Adie

Its defo the first volume shot for me. My only crit of the shot however that the whole of the word volume is not in focus.... Im not sure you needed to increase the dof... just move the focus point. But that is a minor crit of what is a great shot that would look fab in any fender type advertising brochure! For me the volume not being in focus completely takes away the photos connection with the theme... slightly!

Great work overall though!

Mark

Adie appears to avoiding the answer!!

:nuts: Not at all, just havn't answered yet in case Dawn, lynne or Tina pop by for a comment first :wave:

I learnt about this theme while on the 52ers meet and said there would be a few shots of volume dials. These are the first I've got to and I suspect they've set a high bar!
Thank you very much.

I'm not a fan of the plug in the BG of #2, but other than that they're great.
It's clear there has been a lot of thought about the composition, and the DOF works very well in both, well done, I love them.

Only neg is that you've got me wanting a nifty 50 again after I've just spent my money on a flash!
The plug was added when I realised there was just a bit too much dead space in the background, but I wanted somethig that could be identified even OOF.

As for getting rid of your nifty fifty :nono:

Hi Adie

Its defo the first volume shot for me. My only crit of the shot however that the whole of the word volume is not in focus.... Im not sure you needed to increase the dof... just move the focus point. But that is a minor crit of what is a great shot that would look fab in any fender type advertising brochure! For me the volume not being in focus completely takes away the photos connection with the theme... slightly!

Great work overall though!

Mark

Thanks very much, it was a pig to set up for composition and get the focus right, but I take on board your comments. Cheers :)

Ah, sorry, my mistake. Hard call that dilema.. As a man that owns three flash guns now, and LOVES shooting with off camera flash, I think on balance, you made the choice I might of made. However, my nifty is the only lens I own that can open up to 1.8, and it is such a nice lens.... Especially when I want such narrow DOF.

Hi Adie

great shot & take on the Hard theme
Love the colors & DOF ,the shadows add interest ,really nice work

Wow, Hard, that's going back a few weeks!!!!!

Thanks very much, and welcome to the mad house!

:bonk::bonk::bonk:

Well here we are at Week 40.
First, I wanted to convey the theme without resorting to trashing my front room with water balloons, and dealing with the wrath of the missus :D

I kind of guessed there would be a few balloon bursting shots, so opted to go for another take on the theme.
It took a few days to gather and make the props, but it was like Blue Peter for anarchists in our house at one point!

The shot is in fact a three flash set up, and a self portrait, so not easy to shoot! One flash deep in the shot behind the case aimed inwards and down, rim lighting the hand and the bomb. One flash camera right, fitted with a gridded snoot aimed at the wire cutter, just to isolate it a little bit. And the last flash camera left, aimed at the outside of the case, providing separation and texture to the case.

The overall feeling I was aiming for was of pressure and foreboding, hence strong shadows, and bold edges.

I have a few different PS treatments, not sure which I prefer, as to me they all have a style that suits what I had in my mind when I planned the shot. Other versions available on my flickr.

Lastly, in homage to my fave character who prevents explosions, I set the countdown timer accordingly (y)

CUT THE BLUE WIRE
Explode3web.jpg

Last edited:
no Mr Bond... i expect you to die...

Adie...you've achieved a brilliant take on the theme WELL DONE!!!!!! lighting and composure good... but AWESOME set... ..only one thing,... where are the sandwiches wrapped in gladwrap??? no genuine bomber would be without lunch... BIG (y)

Hiya Adie,

Firstly I apologise for taking so long to get round to looking at your project, things have been so hectic lately and I've wanted to try to get my shots sorted for the past few weeks before commenting on others .... so here is a quick catch up of your posts:

Mix: As you say it was a rushed shot, and agree it is not one of your best .... however I think you have done well lighting the subject especially as trying to photograph something shiny like this object is not the easiest to do.

Fun: Now I'm trying to figure this one out .... I like both colours, but my preference is to the blue hue. Is it a smoothie maker or some sort of kitchen appliance? (note I do not have same thought process of some here :naughty: :LOL:)

Volume: Both great shots, but the 1st one gets a (y) from me. I like the angle, lighting and dof on this one.

Explode: Wow this is absolutely fantastic ... and has your signature all over it from the idea, lighting, composition ..... just everything about it is brilliant :clap: Now the question is ..... should it be the blue wire to be cut :thinking: I'm sure we will find out if you got the right wire if you are around to post photo for the next theme :D

Well done, you have done a fantastic job with the past few weeks. I'm sorry if this is brief .... I have loads of catching up to do.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Hiya Adie,

Firstly I apologise for taking so long to get round to looking at your project, things have been so hectic lately and I've wanted to try to get my shots sorted for the past few weeks before commenting on others .... so here is a quick catch up of your posts:
No probs, fully understand. Glad you're back with us.

Mix: As you say it was a rushed shot, and agree it is not one of your best .... however I think you have done well lighting the subject especially as trying to photograph something shiny like this object is not the easiest to do.
I'm gonna do a re-shoot. I'm 100% not happy with this shot.

Fun: Now I'm trying to figure this one out .... I like both colours, but my preference is to the blue hue. Is it a smoothie maker or some sort of kitchen appliance? (note I do not have same thought process of some here :naughty: :LOL:)
Nope and nope. All i'm going to say is; as kids, we had fun playing with our toys. As adults, can the same not be true? :nuts: (Maybe some people's though process is on the money LOL)

Volume: Both great shots, but the 1st one gets a (y) from me. I like the angle, lighting and dof on this one.
Many thanks

Explode: Wow this is absolutely fantastic ... and has your signature all over it from the idea, lighting, composition ..... just everything about it is brilliant :clap: Now the question is ..... should it be the blue wire to be cut :thinking: I'm sure we will find out if you got the right wire if you are around to post photo for the next theme :D

Well done, you have done a fantastic job with the past few weeks. I'm sorry if this is brief .... I have loads of catching up to do.
Thanks again, I did enjoy setting up and shooting this last one.
Cheers

Adie

no Mr Bond... i expect you to die...

Adie...you've achieved a brilliant take on the theme WELL DONE!!!!!! lighting and composure good... but AWESOME set... ..only one thing,... where are the sandwiches wrapped in gladwrap??? no genuine bomber would be without lunch... BIG (y)

I thought you would enjoy that little touch :naughty:

Now, where is my packed lunch?

Many thanks for the feedback.

Adie

Damn, Adie, that's on hell of a take and some effort put in there.

The referrence to James Bond is great.

I tried to work out the word on the dynamite and got yavanox but nothing on Google....go on??

Also, what was your vibrate??

Cheers.

Damn, Adie, that's on hell of a take and some effort put in there.

The referrence to James Bond is great.

I tried to work out the word on the dynamite and got yavanox but nothing on Google....go on??

Also, what was your vibrate??

Cheers.

Many thanks.
I made up the explosive brand, the rest of the words were 'danger explosives' in Russian and Korean, but they were not visible in the final shot. :thumbsdown:

As for my fun pic, that would be telling:naughty:

I will post a better pic of that in the near future.

Thanks again

Back