weekly *Sarah* 2012 52 week challenge. Yippee I made it!!

Lovely colour coming through on the smarties Sarah, very pleasing composition and the dof looks great. A very good subject for the theme.

Handmade, Really like this one as well. All looks good. I would be tempted to crop out the top which has some red in there.

Great shot for colour. At first I wasn't sure about the broken Smarty, but looking at it I think that extra interest is needed.

Handmade reshoot I think could be improved a little if the lines were more diagonal, but I'm really not sure! I like it a lot as it is mind you :)

Thank you Michael and Mark. I did try the handmade more diagonal but it brought in too much of the base material, in hindsight it was prob not the best part of the cross stitch to show!:)

I haven't looked at your colour image yet (I don't like to look until I've shot my own), but loving your Art shot! It looks like a painting! Great idea.

Art - Really good image which at first looked like it was photoshopped but well done for seeing this image at the time of shoot. The crop works well to enhance the overall scene.
Colour - Lovely colours and DOF. Like the broken one for added texture.
Handmade reshoot - Good shot but feel the need for a bit of stray wool, crochet hook, needle or something to indicate it's been made by hand, if you know where i'm coming from.

Thank you Steven and John, I tried with a needle in shot but couldn't quite get the angle right and gave up, I wasn't really in the mood to take photos and rushed to get it done!:(:)

Hi, Sarah, Colour I like. Great composition and the FG smarties really make for a cracking photograph. If you had just photographed th smarties it would have been a very :shrug: photograph, but as it is, :clap: from me. Great colours as well.

Shadow, well what with you and Iain, the bar has been set very high this week :bat: :D

Great processing to give a real World War 1 feel to it. Nice use of the vignetting. Nice border as well. Picky crit....well, I'd like to see the cross section of the cross on the same plane as the joint on round (bullet :D), I feel it may balance it a bit more...again, I'm being picky.

One this, I'd like a bit of narrative, if possible. I have a few ideas what you're trying to convey.

Cheers and I need to get my thinking cap on for this one.

Hi Sarah

Shadow.....brilliant....LOVE IT......No crit from me ,mono works a treat , like the angle & more so the idea..very evocative :clap::clap: Can you share how you did it please ? I'm going through a "Want to learn" ps phase so all help appreciated (y)

Color....good detail in the smarties , nice low POV & bang on with the colors (y)

Reshoot of handmade.......I like cross stitch , wish I could make time to do more as I have at least 3 half finished projects in a box ! Like the color range & think I like the POV . can't help wondering of a view down the stitching rather than across it would work aswell ? Kinda depends on what you were aiming for though :)

Hi, Sarah, Colour I like. Great composition and the FG smarties really make for a cracking photograph. If you had just photographed th smarties it would have been a very :shrug: photograph, but as it is, :clap: from me. Great colours as well.

Shadow, well what with you and Iain, the bar has been set very high this week :bat: :D

Great processing to give a real World War 1 feel to it. Nice use of the vignetting. Nice border as well. Picky crit....well, I'd like to see the cross section of the cross on the same plane as the joint on round (bullet :D), I feel it may balance it a bit more...again, I'm being picky.

One this, I'd like a bit of narrative, if possible. I have a few ideas what you're trying to convey.

Cheers and I need to get my thinking cap on for this one.

Thanks Andy, not too sure what you mean by narrative - do you mean what the shot means to me or how I took it. If you mean what it means to me I'd prefer people to get their own meaning from it and not be influenced by mine!:)

Last edited:
Hi Sarah

Shadow.....brilliant....LOVE IT......No crit from me ,mono works a treat , like the angle & more so the idea..very evocative :clap::clap: Can you share how you did it please ? I'm going through a "Want to learn" ps phase so all help appreciated (y)

Color....good detail in the smarties , nice low POV & bang on with the colors (y)

Reshoot of handmade.......I like cross stitch , wish I could make time to do more as I have at least 3 half finished projects in a box ! Like the color range & think I like the POV . can't help wondering of a view down the stitching rather than across it would work aswell ? Kinda depends on what you were aiming for though :)

Thanks Lynne, the cross stitch is one I started more than a few years ago and am hoping that one day I might actually finish it!:)

Shadow - it's quite a simple set or should be if your organised which I wasn't!! It's a similar set up to Iains I think!

I cut out the cross from a piece of black paper which was then placed on to a sheet of glass. (The glass was raised up off a table using some tins). I placed a sheet of white paper on top of the cross and then put the bullet at the edge of the cross. I used 1 flash on (low power) pointing at the bullet and one flash under the glass pointing up at the cross (this one was on 1/64th). It took about 3 shots to get the exposure right and then onto photoshop to edit! I hope this makes sense, I wish I took a photo of the set up now!:)

Nice work Sarah, great minds think alike as they say ;)
The gritty processing really suits the subject matter.
I like your creative thinking, I didn't have an alternative in mind so well done you for expanding the idea.
I found it funny that you raised the glass up on tins :LOL: my cheapo chopping board was balanced on glasses on a tiled floor :eek:

No real crit to offer I am afraid, as I don't have any. A strong image which I think is quite thought provoking too. Well done (y)

Hi Sarah

Colour - good subject ..like the pov and focus and partic the little highlights on the smarties. Broken one gives a nice change in texture and depth of colour.

Handmade re shoot - god shot of something that looks very professional for a handmade item.

Shadow - powerul image very well composed and shot. Super PP grainy effect and composition.

Really like the smarties shot simple but effective

Shadow is excellent, I can't see why it needs an explanation also dont see the point of the shadow crit, its a brilliant powerful image :clap::clap:

Hi Sarah

Colour - good subject ..like the pov and focus and partic the little highlights on the smarties. Broken one gives a nice change in texture and depth of colour.

Handmade re shoot - god shot of something that looks very professional for a handmade item.

Shadow - powerul image very well composed and shot. Super PP grainy effect and composition.

Thank you Alan!:)

Nice work Sarah, great minds think alike as they say ;)
The gritty processing really suits the subject matter.
I like your creative thinking, I didn't have an alternative in mind so well done you for expanding the idea.
I found it funny that you raised the glass up on tins :LOL: my cheapo chopping board was balanced on glasses on a tiled floor :eek:

No real crit to offer I am afraid, as I don't have any. A strong image which I think is quite thought provoking too. Well done (y)

Thanks Iain, I was a little worried putting the glass on top of the tins 2 high!:eek: I'm glad all my years of watching Blue Peter came in handy!:LOL:

Oh I love that bullet shot for shadow big time! I honestly can't find any crit to give; it's exactly as I'd have wanted it to be if I'd thought of it!

Colour – Very nice and colourful without being too over saturated. The use of the broken smartie helps gives interest to the image

Reshoot – Great use of a small DoF. It could have even have been a colour reshoot

Shadow – I really like this. Nice use of pp and a very thought provoking image

yep - love shadow, very evocative too :clap:

Hi Sarah :wave:

I'm a few weeks behind, whoops!

Colour, I really like the detail in this, lovely and vibrant colours too, the low and close POV really adds texture to it and makes the chocolate look a little cake like, yum! It may be 'get a shot in' rush but it's a good one as always (y) Oh and your putting those that are seemingly perpetually running late to shame :coat:

Handmade reshoot, alas I shouldn't have looked at your colour shot first as this looks a little dull in comparison! In dull I mean it just looks a tad underexposed to me and the colours look like they should be brighter, does that make sense? However, I love the range of colours across it and the detail in the stitching. Nice neat stitches too, is it wrong that the first thing I did was check all the crosses went in the same direction :bonk: I too have a number of unfinished and never started cross stitch projects hidden in my house some where!

Shadow, awesome :clap: :clap: :clap: the grain, the subject, the shadow all really tell a story! Perfect lighting and the PP finishes it off. Now should I ask as to why you have ammunition lying around?

Shadow - Powerful shot and good explanation of the setup. Can't offer any crit for improvement

Hi Sarah, great bit of thinking on the bullet photo. It really has worked very well. Well done!

Oh I love that bullet shot for shadow big time! I honestly can't find any crit to give; it's exactly as I'd have wanted it to be if I'd thought of it!

Colour – Very nice and colourful without being too over saturated. The use of the broken smartie helps gives interest to the image

Reshoot – Great use of a small DoF. It could have even have been a colour reshoot

Shadow – I really like this. Nice use of pp and a very thought provoking image

Thank you Michael, Mark and Peter!:)

yep - love shadow, very evocative too :clap:

I'm a few weeks behind, whoops!

Colour, I really like the detail in this, lovely and vibrant colours too, the low and close POV really adds texture to it and makes the chocolate look a little cake like, yum! It may be 'get a shot in' rush but it's a good one as always (y) Oh and your putting those that are seemingly perpetually running late to shame :coat:

Handmade reshoot, alas I shouldn't have looked at your colour shot first as this looks a little dull in comparison! In dull I mean it just looks a tad underexposed to me and the colours look like they should be brighter, does that make sense? However, I love the range of colours across it and the detail in the stitching. Nice neat stitches too, is it wrong that the first thing I did was check all the crosses went in the same direction :bonk: I too have a number of unfinished and never started cross stitch projects hidden in my house some where!

Shadow, awesome :clap: :clap: :clap: the grain, the subject, the shadow all really tell a story! Perfect lighting and the PP finishes it off. Now should I ask as to why you have ammunition lying around?

Thank you Summer and Marsha!:)

Marsha - I checked the stitching as well before I took it, I brightened the shot qute a lot as the actual stitching was a bit pastel. The ammunition is Thomas's that he got when he visitied Belgium on a school trip, he also brought back the top of a shell case!!:):)

Shadow - Powerful shot and good explanation of the setup. Can't offer any crit for improvement

That's one of the best themes for shadow I've seen so far, excellent idea and well captured! I had a similar idea myself although using a person rather than an object, but never got round to doing it :(

Thank you John and Steven!:):)

Last edited:
I'm putting two up this week, I'll prob go for the caravan shot - technically is was slightly more difficult to shoot and an awful lot colder!!:LOL: but prossibly not to everyone tastes. It means a lot to me as we spent a great weekend away with friends in our new caravan and the pcture holds lots of memories for me. There are lots of shadows on the caravan caused from the lighting on the site I tried to clone them out but gave up as I couldn't get the decals right on the caravan.
The second shot might be to more peoples tastes though it again has several faults on it. I won't be able to re shoot again this week as I have 15 chicken, 14 cows and 15 donkey hats to make for our school Nativity play!!:eek:

Lit up for Chrismas by *sarah*., on Flickr

Glow by *sarah*., on Flickr

The caravan shot is really well exposed the bg is a little distracting on the rh side glow 2 is really good it does glow the reflection works really well with it (y)

Hi Sarah, 2 good shots there. The caravan shot looks really good with the starry sky in the background. I like number 2 as well, exposure looks good and some nice colour in there.

The caravan shot is really well exposed the bg is a little distracting on the rh side glow 2 is really good it does glow the reflection works really well with it (y)

Thank you Michael and Allan, The background was distracting, I tried several angles but couldn't get a clear shot (the site was busy!) I originally took wider shots to get more of the sky but they looked more cluttered with all the caravans. It's a good excuse to go away again and some more shots when it hopefully isn't as busy!!:):)

Hi Sarah

I really like the caravan shot. On the face of it, there are many distractions and yet when looked at closely they contribute to the theme. The glow of the stars, the glow on the trees to right and left, the fairy lights, the Christmas tree, the strange light from the left. I have really taken to it. Reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.(y)

Hi Sarah.

I like your second shot for glow, but don't love it. It definitely fits the theme, and is nicely shot, but just doesn't sing for me somehow.

The caravan though I think is wonderful. It's incredibly well exposed, the starry sky makes it, and the fact that you can see detail inside the caravan as well as outside is amazing, plus I love the colours. I don't think the shadows matter one bit, though the caravan in the background on the right is a bit distracting; maybe just needs burning out a little.

Last edited:
Hi, Sarah, you'd struggle to get a clean BG but it adds to the photograph for me. Star trails would have been a great addition :)

The there is Glow 2...very minimal and on theme.

Cheers.

the caravan would have looked cool with some star trails :) I do like the blue lights but might have been better cropped maybe?

the 2nd one is brill, really like it :clap:

Hi Sarah

I really like the caravan shot. On the face of it, there are many distractions and yet when looked at closely they contribute to the theme. The glow of the stars, the glow on the trees to right and left, the fairy lights, the Christmas tree, the strange light from the left. I have really taken to it. Reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind.(y)

I am quoting Alan because thats exactly what I was thinking too :LOL:
My vote goes to the caravan scene for glow. I do like #2, some lovely warm colour tones in there but #1 just shades it. Iain

Hi Sarah

oooohh... Caravan shot all the way for me...the lights on the front really have some impact ,the glow on the side of the van almost looks like a reflected sunset & to get the detail inside as well is pretty darn good (y)

Like the simplicity of Glow 2...great colors (y)

Hi Sarah

Thank you Alan!:)

Hi Sarah.

I like your second shot for glow, but don't love it. It definitely fits the theme, and is nicely shot, but just doesn't sing for me somehow.

The caravan though I think is wonderful. It's incredibly well exposed, the starry sky makes it, and the fact that you can see detail inside the caravan as well as outside is amazing, plus I love the colours. I don't think the shadows matter one bit, though the caravan in the background on the right is a bit distracting; maybe just needs burning out a little.

Hi, Sarah, you'd struggle to get a clean BG but it adds to the photograph for me. Star trails would have been a great addition :)

The there is Glow 2...very minimal and on theme.

Cheers.

the caravan would have looked cool with some star trails :) I do like the blue lights but might have been better cropped maybe?

the 2nd one is brill, really like it :clap:

Thank you Mark, Andy and Summer!:) Star trails would be a good reason to go back for!!:):)

I am quoting Alan because thats exactly what I was thinking too :LOL:
My vote goes to the caravan scene for glow. I do like #2, some lovely warm colour tones in there but #1 just shades it. Iain

Hi Sarah

oooohh... Caravan shot all the way for me...the lights on the front really have some impact ,the glow on the side of the van almost looks like a reflected sunset & to get the detail inside as well is pretty darn good (y)

Like the simplicity of Glow 2...great colors (y)

Thank you Iain and Lynne, my thoughts have always been for caravan one but didn't think people would like it so I decided to take the other one as well. I should have gone with my gut instinct and gone with it from the beginning!

We went out on a meet at Langcliffe this evening organised by Matt (brilliant evening!) for a bit of light painting fun. I was hoping to get a shot that I could use for this weeks theme. I am putting 2 up again this week as I can't decide which is best for the theme!

Wire wool spinning

wire wool spinning by *sarah*., on Flickr

light painting fun

light painting fun by *sarah*., on Flickr

Back