Kenyan Birds, Bateleur Eagle, Roller And Crane

Just Dave

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

Took these whilst on holiday for 2 weeks in Kenya, just got back Friday, fantastic experience

3524284829_938796fd1c_o.jpg

3524284827_077bdd9e12_o.jpg

3524284825_a4db78dd57_o.jpg

Dave

Lucky you - great holiday to go on and I'm looking forward to seeing more of the pics!

I don't pretend to be qualified to offer much in the way of C&C but for what it's worth here are my thoughts:

#1 - I know you can't really help this but I'm finding the branches a touch distracting.

#2 - This is my favourite of the three, looks nice and sharp, captured a good pose and the colours of the bird are vibrant :clap:

#3 - I like the way you have caught the leg movement but the blown highlights in the grass are distracting me.

Dave these are just great - the colours in #1 and #2 are superb (I quite like the branches ;))

#2 is also my fave for the colour, sharpness and composition!

Excellent stuff mate (y)

You lucky so n so :p great shots to go with the experience. (y)

Thanks Alby, John, Dean and Daysleeper, it was a fab experience in Kenya we are deffo going back, couldnt do anything about the branches, in the eagle shot I tried a couple of different angles but couldnt isolate it, think #2 has to be my fav

Great shots, can I ask you who you went with I am trying to organise a trip in September and finding it rather difficult?

Can you P.M. me the details and the cost if at all possible as I will be travelling on my own as no one else wants to come (or can't afford it)

Thanks and sorry for asking.

Love the Roller & the Grebe, not too sure about the Eagle, it blends in a bit but saying that, it's still sharp and you seem to ave got quite close. Shame the tail feathers are cut at the bottom

Very nice indeed, cant believe I missed these

love the roller, such vibrant colours and nice and sharp(y)

Also like the eagle, nice pose and well captured(y)

Great shots, in particular number 2 is stunning. Very well captured and the bird is nicely isolated! Like number 1 as well, as above a shame about the braches but it still looks good to me!

:)

#1 The branches actually look like they could be cloned out with a bit of time?
#2 Love it.. there are things in there which might normally be distracting but the vibrance of the bird draws your eye straight to it leaving the rest of the picture in the background exactly where it should be. I'd be chuffed if I could get something like that!
#3 Looks a tad noisy because of the focal length and amount cropped i presume? But it still works. It's only the colour noise on the bird that I really notice.
#2 Is still great.

I like all of them - great colour and sharpness... that eagle is one mean looking dude, eh?

May I cover all four of your links here?

Not into birds as I find they tend to have few ways of changing the representation.

That said these are very good photos - the lilac breasted roller in particular is lovely - the colours are beautiful.

The dik dik is cute with nice detail on the body hair.

The (?) eagle [edit: long crested eagle] one up the tree is at an odd angle making it difficult to appreciate it properly.

Nice work.

Last edited:
Great images of unusual birds, maybe I should venture into this forum more.

Love the Krane, something slightly wacky that appeals to me!

On a critical note, I somehow thing the background of #1, the eagle is a little distracting. I'm thinking it needs to be more out of focus, some good bokeh would do nicely.

Otherwise, not a bad set!

Another vote for #2, great colours. Shame we don't have wild birds like that in the UK!

1 and 2 are lovely shots, the colours of the birds really stands out from the background.

Mike

Excellent shots Dave (y)

Thanks Anthony

Hi Dave, i think all 3 are nice pictures, especialy the 1st and second:clap:. I'm off to kenya for 5 weeks at christmas....cant wait!!

Cheers Martin, Youll have a fab time in Kenya its great

1 and 2 are lovely shots, the colours of the birds really stands out from the background.

Mike

Thanks Mike

Another vote for #2, great colours. Shame we don't have wild birds like that in the UK!

I also wish we did have colourful birds

Great images of unusual birds, maybe I should venture into this forum more.

Love the Krane, something slightly wacky that appeals to me!

On a critical note, I somehow thing the background of #1, the eagle is a little distracting. I'm thinking it needs to be more out of focus, some good bokeh would do nicely.

Otherwise, not a bad set!

Ta tim, yes shame about the bg but tried all different angles

Great pics....We were in Tsavo East in January...Amazing place.

Thanks Have you posted any images

The bird in the 2nd photo is very colourful!

Thanks KOG

think they are all great lovely colours

Thanks

May I cover all four of your links here?

Not into birds as I find they tend to have few ways of changing the representation.

That said these are very good photos - the lilac breasted roller in particular is lovely - the colours are beautiful.

The dik dik is cute with nice detail on the body hair.

The (?) eagle [edit: long crested eagle] one up the tree is at an odd angle making it difficult to appreciate it properly.

Nice work.
I love those Dik Diks their real cute

I like all of them - great colour and sharpness... that eagle is one mean looking dude, eh?

Aye he does and I bet he his a mean preditor

#1 The branches actually look like they could be cloned out with a bit of time?
#2 Love it.. there are things in there which might normally be distracting but the vibrance of the bird draws your eye straight to it leaving the rest of the picture in the background exactly where it should be. I'd be chuffed if I could get something like that!
#3 Looks a tad noisy because of the focal length and amount cropped i presume? But it still works. It's only the colour noise on the bird that I really notice.
#2 Is still great.

Many thanks for you fed back

Great shots, in particular number 2 is stunning. Very well captured and the bird is nicely isolated! Like number 1 as well, as above a shame about the braches but it still looks good to me!

:)

Cheers mark

Very nice indeed, cant believe I missed these

love the roller, such vibrant colours and nice and sharp(y)

Also like the eagle, nice pose and well captured(y)

Their stunning birds the Lilac rollers

Lovely colours and interesting species. Thumbs up.

Many thanks Gary, for your comment and the bump thread (y)

Last edited:
I really love the 2nd shot, composition, exposure and colours are all brilliant! well done

You lucky.............. grrrrrrrrrr............... :LOL: :LOL: :D

Looks like you made the most of the trip with some really nice shots especially that Roller.

Nice set Dave, i think the eagle might have been better if taken from further back so you werent looking up at it quite so much, its a strange angle, still a striking bird though :)

I really must get to Africa and do a Safari or 10 ;)

Back