London Underground

lukewoodford

FYI, I am Luke Woodford.....by Luke Woodford
Name
Luke Woodford
Edit My Images
No
I went to London a couple of weeks ago and was inspired by a few of the stations so I decided to give it a go.

A big (y) to Pablob who let me his 28-70 for the day because it wouldn't have been possible without him.

A big :thumbsdown: for eggbanjo who recommened East Finchly saying it's very art deco when it's the complete opposite. You owe me an hour of my life mate :)

Anyway by the time I had got the permit and the lens and wasted an hour of my life going to East Finchley and back I only really had time for two stations. There was also a couple of other places I wanted to visit which affected the time. The permit lasts a month so i'm going to try and go back.

So my first station of choice was Westminster. The station that inspired me in the first place.

Absolutely stunning, super modern. However very tricky to photograph. These big beams proved a problem getting in the way of the shots but I came to the conclusion that I would try and work around them the best I can, I don't think it ruins the shot but I would prefer it if it wasn't there.
LondonOctorber019-1-2_-3_-1.jpg

Shots like this take a while aswell. It's hard getting it right when moving and it isn't perfect but it takes a while to wait for the escalators to be clear and when you have a time limit you can't be there all day.
LondonOctorber108-1.jpg

This shot was taken whist on an escalator. Not easy doing it hand held, moving and with low light.
LondonOctorber001-3.jpg

LondonOctorber066-4.jpg

This one is probably my fave and I know the vast majority of you won't agree but I love the man being captured in between the pillars and the escalator in the distance.
LondonOctorber074-5.jpg

LondonOctorber101-6.jpg

Last edited:
LondonOctorber075-1-3_-2_-2.jpg

LondonOctorber127-7.jpg

My other station of choice was Bakerloo. I found the Sherlock home tiles very interesting.

LondonOctorber187-1.jpg

I waited 20 minutes for a woman in red to walk past but it never happened so I settled for this guy.
LondonOctorber131-1.jpg

LondonOctorber134-2.jpg

Thats a moving train in the distance incase it isn't obvious (someone couldn't work it out). I was attracted by the lines but I didn't plan on the lines on the tunnel and the train working out this way.
LondonOctorber146-1.jpg

I do have a couple more images to play with.

All in all it was a challenge. There are lots of factors that could have been better for some of my ideas that are just luck e.g. the right amount of people walking past, people being in time with each other, moving at the right spead etc. I will definately be going back at some point though.

Thanks for looking.

Luke

Last edited:
Nice shots of westminister tube station there.

I love the abstract sci-fi feel to them.

Any trouble with the officials there?

sid

No I had a permit. It's still hassle though signing in and out every time. I must say I wouldn't try it without one, A couple of people didnt notice my permit round my neck and were very quick at coming up to me.

very nice work, i love the processing on these also.

No I had a permit. It's still hassle though signing in and out every time. I must say I wouldn't try it without one, A couple of people didnt notice my permit round my neck and were very quick at coming up to me.

Excellent set Luke
All tops.

Curious - Was there a charge for your shooting permit ?

Lovely shots, especially of the fantastic Westminster station. Are those HDR shots or just a fair bit of manipulation to get those colours?

Interesting about the permit. Didn't realise you could get one.

Did anyone stop you to see the permit?

Lovely shots, especially of the fantastic Westminster station. Are those HDR shots or just a fair bit of manipulation to get those colours?

Interesting about the permit. Didn't realise you could get one.

Did anyone stop you to see the permit?

Only two of these are HDR. Yes 3 people came up to me but as soon as they saw it let me go about my business.

Great set, love all of them.

Stunning array of images Luke... (y) ...I am impressed the more so because I don't believe there is a bad one amongst them and who would have thought our underground could be so photogenic... :shrug: ...but then I suppose in competent eyes anything can... ;)

Good info shared about the permit malarkey too... (y)

:p

Fabulous set Luke, great use of the architecture and lighting. I am curious though as to why you think East Finchely isn't Art Deco? :thinking:

Well I suppose I don't really know what it means then but I was thinking it was going to look ummmm sexy? It looked pretty dirty and the same as many other station. Because it was singled out I was expecting it to be special. Im now going to google Art Deco :)

Last edited:
That's a great set, I can't pick a fav but get drawn to 5 and 12(y)

Loving the westminister shots, one of my favourite stations though it's defo a marmite one, lots of people I know hate it for some reason

I went to London a couple of weeks ago and was inspired by a few of the stations so I decided to give it a go.

A big (y) to Pablob who let me his 28-70 for the day because it wouldn't have been possible without him.

No probs mate, was pleased to help - If you're planning another trip let me know, might tag along! Like these images and good to see my lens was put to good use! :) Like 12 a lot.

Canary Wharf tube station was quite interesting from what I remember but Canary Wharf security are ****holes. Mind you stay below ground level and they'll probably leave you alone. I've tried emailing to get a pass there but no one replied :( .

I also asked Lloyds about picture taking in the building - apparently I just cannot use flash. So next week I'm going to have a go there!

3, 7 and 11 are outstanding for me. I love industrial, texture and patterns. These have all of them. Really nice lighting in 7 in particular. Looks like you used the opportunity well :)

Also, I'm assuming that the permit can be used only once? Or as many times within the month limit?

Really impressive Luke, I'm feeling rather inspired. I bet a second visit back would be even more productive because you'll get straight into the swing of it. I'd certainly look forward to seeing anymore you take.

I find it very hard to comment on your images without sounding like a right crawly-a£$e, but hay ho. I love these. So sharp and intense. The composition and colours in 13 in 7 really work for me.

Is the lack of people down to really long exposures or patience?

These images are certainly deserving of the attention they are getting, excellent use of angle of shot. I particularly like 2 and 8 for the abstracts they are.

Yes 3 people came up to me but as soon as they saw it let me go about my business.

Hi Luke

Like the pictures. I use the underground all the time and often think "oh that would make a nice photo" but my 40D and bag of lenses might attract too much attention.

A question about the permit. I have just read through the LU Byelaws and not a single mention of photography not being allowed / needing a permit.

Were you advised to get the permit, or did you just think it would be easier and avoid hassle?

And the people who approached you, I assume they were staff, what was their attitude before you showed them your pass?

Look forward to seeing some more, Canary Wharf would be my next stop if I was you.

David

Hi guys I'm on my phone and don't have the memory to remember all the questions so I will reply tomorrow. I used lightroom and Photoshop for processing and you do need a permit to photograph on the underground. U can photograph as many times in a month as I want in the month. Your not really allowed to use a tripod but I'm good at talking them round. Ok my memory isn't as bad as I thought :)

Ah Ha

The plot thickens, Hidden away in the myriad of pages relating to filming and photography I found THIS
and the statement "Any individual or film production company wanting to film or take photographs on
the Tube must seek prior permission from the London Underground (LU) Film Office."

And then lower down "The permit holder is not permitted to place the products of the filming or photography on the Internet" :shrug:

I feel an e mail to the Film Office for some clarification coming along soon.

David

It seems pretty clear from the above statements what you are permitted to do.

Having said that I spent several hours taking pictures during rush hour and beyond in a number of stations without a permit (I was not aware that one was required). I did it in full view of LU staff and nobody stopped me. Provided you don't get in the way and draw attention to yourself, they seem happy to let you get on with it. I found the seats found on most platforms made handy supports.

Fantastic set of shots there! :clap:

10 & 11 for me. 10 just for the timing in capturing him looking at the billboard and 11 for, well I'm not sure yet, but I love it! :thinking::D

Back