London Underground

Ah Ha

The plot thickens, Hidden away in the myriad of pages relating to filming and photography I found THIS
and the statement "Any individual or film production company wanting to film or take photographs on
the Tube must seek prior permission from the London Underground (LU) Film Office."

And then lower down "The permit holder is not permitted to place the products of the filming or photography on the Internet" :shrug:

I feel an e mail to the Film Office for some clarification coming along soon.

David

I didn't read that but I spoke to the team personally about what my photography is to be used for and I have permission to display my work on the Internet. If you really want to photograph it e-mail them. If not- don't because if they start getting lots of e-mails they could change their mind.

Last edited:
Ah Ha

The plot thickens, Hidden away in the myriad of pages relating to filming and photography I found THIS
and the statement "Any individual or film production company wanting to film or take photographs on
the Tube must seek prior permission from the London Underground (LU) Film Office."

And then lower down "The permit holder is not permitted to place the products of the filming or photography on the Internet" :shrug:

I feel an e mail to the Film Office for some clarification coming along soon.

David

Why would that be necessary? Frankly I'd leave it or risk ruining it for a lot of people.

I did it in full view of LU staff and nobody stopped me. Provided you don't get in the way and draw attention to yourself, they seem happy to let you get on with it.
It's less the underground staff to be concerned about but the police. I don't know how much of the extensive underground CCTV is used for security purposes by the police (or the British Transport Police, do they operate on the underground?), but given the security concerns after 7/7 I can see they might be a bit jumpy.

That said, there must be thousands who snap away on the underground with no permit. I've done it several times myself. Just have to look at the images on the net to see how photographed the place is.

It isn't a public place however (just property where the general public are admitted if they pay for a ticket) so a permit is understandable.

Awesome set of shots. I was thinking of doing the same when i was there on Thursday. I'll have to go back.

Great shots. How did you get the industrial feel to them in post? Were these shot on full frame camera? Apologies, I am unfamiliar with Nikon range and it states you use a 700 and 300.

How did you get number 6? looks like you were in some hidden passageway in the roof of the building!

Excellent photo's, just a quick question, TFL states "Lightweight, handheld equipment only" for the non-professional permit, does this mean you can't use a tripod?

Cracking set of shots Luke, they are truely outstanding; the light, composition and detail are top notch (y)(y)

Ok that was not the east finchley I went too!! I was tired, maybe I made a mistake. I shall be going back.

That's the East Finchley I go to every day, but I don't find it very photogenic to be honest. The best art deco bits are on top of the station (an archer, for example). If you do come back, give me a shout.

Some great work here. Cannot pick a favourite as each of them has something. I thought I liked those empty of people, but then the "red dress" shot comes along.

Excellent photo's, just a quick question, TFL states "Lightweight, handheld equipment only" for the non-professional permit, does this mean you can't use a tripod?

The tripod can be used at the station masters discretion. It says so on the page. Innit.

Great shots. How did you get the industrial feel to them in post? Were these shot on full frame camera? Apologies, I am unfamiliar with Nikon range and it states you use a 700 and 300.

Shot on full frame, to be honest im not sure about the industrial feel because I don't know technically what that is, maybe its because they are quite dark?

How did you get number 6? looks like you were in some hidden passageway in the roof of the building!

No not at all, just using my eyes to see shots.

Lovely shots, like #10 alot. What ISO where you shooting at?

When using a tripod iso 100, handheld when needed 6400.

I really like these shots you have taken! :)
I have once or twice sneakily shot some pictures on the underground, but have yet to get a permit. I hope students don't have to pay for them...

I found one sunday morning just as the underground opened that I had free reign down there as no one else was awake. Do you come to London much?

Very inspiring. :|

How do you get that gritty effect, any tips on the editing process would be appreciated!

Yeah iam interested to know also

Sensational..love them all. I think the bar you talk about in #1 makes the shot..makes it look industrial.
Didnt really think much of #5 until I read what you wrote about the man walking by the pillars and now I think it is awesome.
#12 looks like it was shot in a space ship!
That is really a fantastic set.

Really really good set. I reckon you should get ready to pay the £150 for the extra license to sell these because I think they are good enough to be sold. Very interesting shots. I think some of these could be postcards, or to accompany a magazine feature.

I don't know london stations that well but I like these, I grew up with an architect in the family so appreciate the lines you have picked.

Similar to photos that I have just taken, angle and all! I remember seeing this thread I think, it inspired me. Great photo and Westminster is a great place to photograph.

Back