kapawayna's 52 for 2010 Week 08/52 Machines

Name
Wayne
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok since i drunkenly decided to go for this these are the rules i am setting for myself.

1) New photos will be taken each week specifically for the theme and only 1 photo will be selected as the shot for the week as this forces me to get out there take photos and pick the image I like best.
2) I may show any other shots taken in the week but if I do I will explain why I selected the shot I did (i.e. what I like about the image and what I don’t like).
3) If for hollidays i can't make a post for 2 weeks due to not been there to do any PP then i will give at least 2 weeks notice in my thread so you know i am just not doing it because i can't think of anything.
4) After the Holiday i will catch up with the previous themes aswell as the new one.(may take a couple of weeks one extra per weeks)
5) I will limit myself to 2 JOKERS during the entire year and if I decide to play it I will still post a new photo.
6) Once I post my image I will provide meaningful feedback on at least 3 other 52ers shots for that week (I’d like to comment on everyone’s images but due to the sheer numbers of you now I can’t as I don’t want to spend my life on here posting comments)

Last edited:
Those two jokers could be vital there are some beasts in Simon's Sack :LOL: Good luck (y)

Ok here goes

Week one Curved

2nd effort

I thought i would give a bit of close up work as it's snowing. It's also my first attempt at using my new lighting gear. Used things i found about my home an egg cup blank DVD and a bottle gift bag that came with a whisky (long gone)

ISO 1600
F/11
Shutter speed 0.50 sec

Last edited:
woah that is bright!
very curvy too
nice start (y)

Hi Wayne :wave:

That really is a curvy eggcup - some great lines there and a perfect subject for this week's theme.
The colours are fantastic and they're creating some beautiful reflections in the chrome.

I'm not too sure about the background though - the CD and the gold card are a little bit too obvious and are distracting me a bit from the main subject. I wonder if you could have positioned the CD to reflect the light without actually having in in frame :thinking:

About time Wayne, nice subject to kick off with. Agree with Sarah, also the the noise from the high ISO is a little distacting. I know what my D60 is like, have you tried noiseware community edition it's free and very good.

Very colourful.

I have exactly the same egg-cup holders and was tempted to use them too but couldnt think of how to make the shot interesting enough.... as you have.

Good start

Nice start Wayne, (y)

A great idea and very in-keeping with the theme. As a idea, black for the BG might work well giving the egg cup more punch, and one very minor detail "the egg cup is slightly off-centre upon the disc". - sorry.

Graham
______

An interesting shot, I love the pink hints on the egg cup, not sure if the gold background works.

Thanks for the comments guys & girls(best not forget Sarah) will take a look at that noiceware I will have a tinker around with the cd though to see if i can get the reflestion without it been in the pic and get rid of the gold background.

great interpretation of the theme.. agree with others about the background, but kinda like the groovy colours on the rest of it :)

gahhhh Jadey logged in :LOL: oops

Like everyone says it's a good start. The weather is making our options limited. I think we are all here to learn, maybe next year we will all look back and see ways to improve on our shots, I'm fairly sure I will. I look forward to your re-shoot (y)

Very nice Wayne, I really like the colours etc in the first one, but think the background is a bit too bright here. The second one works better in that respect. I like the reflection in the CD of the eggcup.

Hmm - as already pointed out, the noise has got you a little bit there. But, the idea was a good one. I'm in agreement about the gold background being distrsacting, but don't know if I prefer the 2nd version without it.

I wonder if it could have been more interesting though if you'd taken a more abstract view on things - point the camera so it's aimed at the CD (so like you're shooting down instead of straight on), and get a shot of some of the curves of the eggcup against the cd? :shrug:

Look forward to the rest of the 52 :)

I think the egg cup in plain surroundings would have worked a little better but these are great first attempts and I can see the idea is there :)

2nd works better for me of these two!

Took some thinking about this one

The World

~

Do not follow a bad law.
Do not live in thoughtlessness.
Do not follow wrong ideas.
Do not be attached to the world.

Arise; do not be thoughtless.
Follow the path of virtue.
The virtuous rest in bliss in this world and in the next.
Follow the path of virtue; do not follow the wrong path.
The virtuous rest in bliss in this world and in the next.

Look upon the world as a bubble;
look on it as a mirage.
Whoever looks thus upon the world
is not seen by the sovereign of death.
Come, look at this world resembling a painted royal chariot.
The foolish are immersed in it,
but the wise are not attached to it.

The one who formerly was thoughtless
and afterwards became conscientious
lights up this world like the moon when freed from a cloud.
The one whose wrong actions are eradicated by good conduct
lights up this world like the moon when freed from a cloud.

This world is blinded; only a few can see here.
Like birds escaped from the net, a few go to heaven.
The swans go on the path of the sun;
miraculously they fly through the sky.
The wise are led out of this world,
when they have conquered Mara and the tempter's armies.

Whoever violates the one law, who speaks lies,
and scoffs at another world,
there is no wrong that one will not do.

Misers do not go to the world of the gods;
only fools do not praise liberality;
the wise find joy in generosity,
and because of it become blessed in the other world.

Better than sovereignty over the earth,
better than going to heaven,
better than dominion over all the worlds
is the reward of reaching the stream.

- Lord Buddha

Nice picture and an excellent representation of your theme - well done. However (and there had to be one!), the lighting looks a bit harsh and I'm also seeing a patchy area towards the top and top right of the image.........could be a quick fix in PS?

A good fit with the Poem Wayne and on theme. I like it

I think that's nicely thought out, well assembled and setup, and captured. Gets a vote from me. (y)

Clever idea. I think it would look even better if you straightened the apple tower (it is leaning) and increased the contrast and colour saturation just a tad.

A nicely set up and well lit week 3. Certainly not your normal chopped apple :)

Like the idea, would maybe take a white balance and a sharpen but it's a great pic that has been well-taken nonetheless.

Arthur

Like your second shot for week one, I think it's the purple that makes it.

Week 2 is a very good effort, it works well against the black background

Love week 3, very original...!

Very clever Wayne, and well put together.

Back