TV recommendations

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know much about TVs?

I want full HD and no bigger than around 40". The main two uses will be gaming (PS3 and 360) and watching Blu ray films so I will need at least 2 HDMI inputs but preferably more just in case.

Not sure on budget because I don't know what kind of prices are decent.

I don't know which makes are good, how much difference contrast ratio makes etc so any help will be appreciated (y)

I've got a samsung LCD HD i find it fine

i did not want plasma as they are some what delicate.

One other thing try AV forum they are well into there TV'S and offer advice on the best settings.

Merc

Panasonic Viera plasma.

I must admit I have the 42" version and it blows the socks of everything I've seen other than LED.

I have a 32" Sammy in my bedroom and I've never been truly happy.

As for Plasma's being delicate, I don't see it. Throw your Wii remote at any flatscreen and you'll bugger it up. My Panny Plasma even has a plastic screen protector as part of the TV.

Jus my 2p

Panasonic Viera plasma.

I must admit I have the 42" version and it blows the socks of everything I've seen other than LED.

I have a 32" Sammy in my bedroom and I've never been truly happy.

As for Plasma's being delicate, I don't see it. Throw your Wii remote at any flatscreen and you'll bugger it up. My Panny Plasma even has a plastic screen protector as part of the TV.

Jus my 2p

I was just about to chime in with the Panasonic G20 series of plasmas. Widely regarded as the industry leaders, not least since Pioneer packed up their plasma TV department and their engineers headed over to Panasonic to work on the Viera range.

Thank you for all replies so far!

I have always been under the impression that LCD is better than plasma, however I took note of your suggestion of the Panasonic Plasmas and I have found THIS

Is this the one you have Chris? Any information about it would be very much appreciated.

Have you found any issues with it at all? Do you know how long has this model been out for?

Sorry for all the questions :muted:

Tom

Another vote for Panasonic here. We've had a Panasonic LCD for about 4 years now. The quality blows the socks off the Sony in the kitchen and the menues are much more intuitive.

Hi all that said i have had my Samsung about 4 years, so when i think back plasma was newish, brother in law has 3 plasmas all went wonky in about 3 months of each other pixels and lines ??:eek:, my kids have thrown WII remotes and son number (2) 4 year old has used the screen as a landing pad for his Lego star wars:LOL: virgin have a lot of HD channels and i also upscale through the HDMI, must admit cracking picture,

will get another samsung been great (knock on wood)

Merc

I have a Panasonic Viera G10 37" LCD and it's a cracking set.

Looked at many others and this beat them for picture quality. Looked at the plasma but it wasn't for me. I was told a number of times that for larger screen sizes choose a plasma but the 37" is better in LCD.

This TV replaced a previous Panasonic that had lasted nearly 20 years!

Ken

Any truth in the rumour that plasma,early versions at least,were prone to image burning (logos etc that don't move leaving a feint,permanent image ) ?
Also think 720p is pants for viewing blu-ray

Anyhow,there was a thread a few days back where 3d got a mention too :help:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=267814

The technology was susceptible to image burning in its infancy but it required the logo to be displayed for hours at a time or for a collective time period in the hundreds of hours. Now there is no such problem in many of the plasmas and it is a concern which has been resigned to history.

3D is expensive and new technology. And, for me at least, I couldn't think of much worse than watching TV at home in 3D. It depends what you're after. For a proven TV capable of producing mind-blowing blacks, fast-paced action without ghosting and a superb clarity of image, shoot for a Panasonic plasma.

Ciaran thats the exact model I have, I got it just before last christmas.

No problems, no issues. I watch a lot of discovery and no signs of screen burn. No signs of anything in fact.

One thing though, forget Currys and go to John Lewis.

Eek NO NO says everyone it's more expensive.

Well yup it is, however John Lewis give a no quibble 5 yes thats 5 year warrenty on all TV's

Currys will do you an extracare warranty up to 3 years. Add that to the TV and it costs more at Currys for a TV with 3 year warranty than one at Jonh Lewis with a 5 year one.

John Lewis don't mess about with theirs. If it's broke it gets fixed, if it's fubared you get a new one simples :D

Ken same here mate, I got a Panasonic 28TX in 1993 and it now resides on the tip. Fully working with a superb picture. Sadly nobody wanted it even for free :D

Last edited:
One thing though, forget Currys and go to John Lewis.

Eek NO NO says everyone it's more expensive.

Well yup it is, however John Lewis give a no quibble 5 yes thats 5 year warrenty on all TV's

Currys will do you an extracare warranty up to 3 years. Add that to the TV and it costs more at Currys for a TV with 3 year warranty than one at Jonh Lewis with a 5 year one.

John Lewis don't mess about with theirs. If it's broke it gets fixed, if it's fubared you get a new one simples :D

Very true, JL have a fantastic warranty. But it's also worth going to Sound & Vision in Bolton (you can just call them) and get a price for their on-the-shelf models (tell them you'll be in tomorrow to pick it up) and then go back to John Lewis and ask them to price-match (if they still do this...) and you'll get a cheaper TV with the 5-year warranty still included. (y)

We've had our 50inch Panasonic Viera plasma for nearly three years without a single issue. Picture quality is stunning in HD, and better than ANY other TV i've seen in standard definition - sometimes I've had to check we're not viewing in HD!. Every LCD TV i've seen, disappoints in comparison.

I'll second Chris's comment about buying from John Lewis but also try the Pansonic shop. When I was about to upgrade from my 20 year old set, they gave me a discount and a free 5 year guarantee.

Ken

Hi,

We have a Panasonic Viera 32" and it is a fantastic TV.

Friend of mine recently bought a new one and the sales guy in a local company told him that there are three better manufacturers, Panansonic, Samsung and LG, in that order, in his opinion.

I did read somewhere recently though that LG make a lot of stuff of for other manufacturers.

Cheers,

Tracey

Don't discount the LG range. I have two (26" and a 37" LCD's) and have been highly impressed with them. I have a friend who works for a large electrical retailer who reccomended them to me as they have a lot of the high end features and qualities but not the price to match.

It is however a complete minefield buying a new TV nowdays :thinking:

Just as an aside.

When you next go into a Petrol station, motorway services or airport, have a look at the brand of TV's they use for info.

I bet they are mainly a name mention in this thread begining with P

:D

now pioneer are (sadly) out of the game its panasonic that are the game leaders.

lcd vs plasma is a bit of a canon/nikon or mac/windows question.. there are a lot of myths surrounding plasma (someone said theyre "delicate" above for example.. someone will chime in and say they need regassing next lol), personally i have a plasma and the colour reproduction compared to other LCDs in the family is mind blowing. but thats just my experience with certain products.

also, if you go to a shop dont get sucked in my sales guys trying to flog you £50++ HDMI cables. no need to spend more than £10 on a decent built one.

Costco also do the 5 year warranty.

Costco will accept returns within 90 days from the date of purchase for the following items: Televisions, Projectors, Computers, Cameras, Camcorders, iPod/MP3 players and Mobile phones. In addition Costco also extends the Manufacturers warranty to 5 years on Televisions and 2 years on Computers and Camcorders. All other products are subject to the remaining manufacturer's warranty.

Back