Nick_A's 52 - Week 8 added (chaos)

Week 1 Accomoodation

Ok well here goes with week 1. Struggled to find an original idea :LOL: week one and already struggling :bonk:

Decided to play safe and go shoot a hotel. Living in Morecambe there was only one real choice the 'Midland Hotel' a fantastic looking building. Wanted to avoid the 'postcard' type of shot that shows the whole hotel and try find and angle or a curve. Saw a pattern in the windows of the hotel bedrooms and attempted to capture it.

Shot with my 450D & 50mm F1.8.
F13
ISO 100

Would love to know peoples opinions however good or bad

Thanks for looking

5340297946_cd310578d6_b.jpg

The rest of the set are here if people fancy a look http://www.flickr.com/photos/51477041@N06/sets/72157625660031891/

I like the abstract (as there's no context to what building the windows are from) and geometrical nature of it. Using B&W is a nice choice as well.

I quite like the angle of the windows, agree about cropping out the bottom ones though, other than that I find myself agreeing with your girlfriend - Sorry.

I wasn’t going to post this but then, decided to anyway. The 52 for me is a way to learn and develop. I’m hoping at the end of it to see at least some progression in my photos.

With that in mind I guess not every thing I try can be successful and the things that don’t work help as much as the things that do. I wasn’t happy with this shot at all but I still learnt a lot and will re-shoot it later in the year.

Anyway the shot. With the theme being ‘new’ I wanted to try and capture ‘New Love’. I wanted this to look soft focus with lots of bokeh. A feeling of first being in love almost. It was supposed to be like a couple looking out to sea.

For me I didn’t even get close. I wasn’t happy with the lighting; it needs more separation between the models and the background. The models themselves should have been better they don’t look right. I do like the bokeh in the background though.

Overall I don’t feel it conveyed the message

Would love to know other people opinions though
5362135294_bf7deaf0c4_b.jpg

I think that's a brilliant shot Nick! The black and white is great, as is the lovely round bokeh (what lens did you use?). I would have liked a little bit more light on the figures to define their outline and give them some more prominence in the frame, but other than that I think it's great.
In terms of the theme, I think you've captured 'love' really well, but I'm not sure I would have guessed 'new love' without your explanation.
Looking forward to your offering for next week.

Nice shots so far Nick.

Particularly like new (can't beat a good 50 mm prime) although it looks more like a close encounter for gingerbread men.

Great idea for clutter.
As the shot is generally quite dark (im guessing hand held and available light?) the dead space at the top and top right make the image unstable. A tighter crop, and from a slight rotated angle would create diagonal lead in lines, and no dead space.

Adie

Hi Nick, your clutter shot is exactly what it says- Clutter. I like how tightly crammed they are. Great use of the limited colours. Nice one.
Just seen your "HARD" shot too. simple in appearance but very effective for the theme.

Good work

Martin

Hiya Nick, decided to have a fiddle! I use free software called photoscape,
What I did was

1. Rotate Arbitrary function to alter the angle of the image.
2. Cropped out the dead space.
3. I used the deepen function which is in the bright/colours menu in conjunction with brightness.
4. Sharpened a little
5. Added the frame.

Will be interested to see what you think,

bin.jpg

hmmmmm I do like it and thanks very much for going to the effort of doing an edit I'm just not 100% sure :thinking:

I think it's the colours I'm not sure on now, it looks more similar to the original shot when I had deliberately gone for that look

but that probably just me, I agree the crop looks good

thanks again

Beautiful colour and tones in this, looks a trifle soft to me, have you sharpened it at all?

yeah I sharpened it in lightroom, I was working with a fairly narrow depth of field due to using extension tubes. I think the centre is fairly sharp though? I kinda thought it looked ok with the rest getting gradually less sharp?:thinking:

you think I should have got more in focus?

many thanks :)

The depth of colour and the texture of the petals are spot on - nice one.

Beautiful colour and tones in this, looks a trifle soft to me, have you sharpened it at all?
yeah I sharpened it in lightroom, I was working with a fairly narrow depth of field due to using extension tubes. I think the centre is fairly sharp though? I kinda thought it looked ok with the rest getting gradually less sharp?:thinking:

you think I should have got more in focus?

many thanks :)

I would like more in focus but clearly I'm in a minority :D

I agree with the comments on sharpness, tad lower aperture may help. other than that very nice work.

Back