Zeek's 2011 52 - Week 2: New

Edit My Images
No
Jump to Week 2: New

Hi everyone

I've been a long time lurker on this site, and used it a lot when I was looking for info on which dSLR to buy last year.

I'm a total beginner - so this is going to be a baptism of fire! I have a camera now (Canon 450D) but I need to learn to use it. Although I have taken some nice shots in the past, I suppose I'd say they were a bit 'obvious', so I'm hoping this will help me to find shots which aren't just a copy of the same picture everyone else takes standing in the same position.

I also have zero experience in doing any processing on the images after taking them off the camera, so that's what I need to work out as I go through this.

Anyway, here's the first attempt. Accommodation. With any luck they will all get better from here on!

Cheers

Zeek

Last edited:
Zeek, is it some for of artificial beetle or bee nest?
I like that you've opted not to tog all the box.
The DOF looks about right too

Yes - exactly that. It's an insect box. I didn't think it would do much when I put it there in the summer, but it is heavily used by lacewings and solitary bees...

It was fascinating watching them seal up the ends with leaves when they leave them after egg laying. This year I think I'll need to get a macro lens to get some photos of them!

Thanks for the comments - really helps a complete newbie!

Hiya Zeek,

First of all, welcome to TP I am sure you will have a great time here and learn much from fellow members.

Well done for taking on the 52 challenge, I look forward to seeing your photos.

I really like this first week's photo. I've never seen one of these before and wouldn't have even hazard a guess as to what it was. I think this fits in well with the accommodation theme.

I'm sure you will get some great macro insect photos through the year.

Good luck with the rest of your Photo52.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Nice image. For me though, I think I would of liked to see the whole of the insect box rather than the one half.
Apart from that, nice image

I think the idea is all the better for being in monochrome, think it really brings out the detail in the end of the tubes in the bug house really well.

Really nice composition and I like the B&W treatment - great!

I think the image really benefits from being in B&W and I like the fact that you can't see the whole box.

Like the use of DOF Zeek, the composition invokes curiosity about what you've captured, as illustrated by some of the replies. It was also my first thought! I have the 450d and like yourself taking the plunge in the 52 after about 6months playing around with it and lurking here. Good luck with the other 51!

I like the whole composition and how you have selected which area of the house to cover but can't decide if the additional sticks on the right of the background either add to the photo or distract. Maybe it's because it's not clear what they are? There is no hint. Great effort - well done.

i like this simply for its simplicity and abstract of the theme. I didnt have a clue of its real purpose, attributing it to a bird box, yet the tubes inside instantly sparked curiousity.

the sharpness constrasting the blurred works for me. :D

Ok, here's my shot for week 2 - 'New'.

I was in New York on Monday and Tuesday, so decided to take the theme in that direction. I only had my 50mm lens with me, and here's what I learnt!

1. It's very difficult to get great shots when it is VERY cold! Shivering body and icy fingers aren't the best.
2. Trying to take neon shots at night without a tripod where there are thousands of lights producing near-daylight levels, isn't as easy as I thought.
3. So many people around doesn't help.
4. Times Sq is very bright!
5. Trying to get a perfect shot of flashing neons requires excellent timing.
6. Everything in the background is either another sign, or shiny and reflects all of the other signs around it.
7. The signs behind you flash like crazy too, making the subject light up and go dark quickly - more timing to balance!

I sort of knew the shot I wanted - the neon 'New' from the top of the NYPD station. I took a load of images, but chose this one because I liked the pink reflection in the background which matches the colour of the N (which flashes red every so often - stays blue the rest of the time!). I thought the security camera was also quite interesting.

I don't think the shot is that great but I learnt a lot trying to get it, which is the main aim of this for me:)

Those are a lot of constraints...being tripod-less I feel lost for night shots and know I won't get anything decent, after a few lenses for range I think it's a must purchase. The issue of people isn't necessarily a bad thing, people watching and trying to capture someone can be a challlenge or in New York the blur of people would be good.

I don't dislike the photo, the colours are good, but it not really of anything and I don't know what I'm meant to be looking at. Keep at it though I'm no expert :p

I don't dislike the photo, the colours are good, but it not really of anything and I don't know what I'm meant to be looking at. Keep at it though I'm no expert :p

I would agree with this. You have maybe let the theme take over the shot (if that makes sense) A wider shot showing the full sign or even the whole area would still fit the theme and give a better image.
But having said that you have done well to capture this, and capture it in sharp focus with all you had to contend with (y)

I think you've definitely done well to capture the colours and get it so sharp without a tripod, especially with all the jostling tourists!!

I like the take on the theme, tho the security camera does draw the eye a little.

Back