Delailuma's 2011 52 - Week 6 Clutter NOT added

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
My first contribution to something as structured as this. Wanted to be less obvious on the theme but alas this is my favourite shot of those ideas I had. Also my first attempt at HDR, I'm even more inexperienced at Post Processing than taking the shots, I' still not entirely happy with the sky and the boats, any suggestions on what I could do with them would be greatfully received. Also the HDR in general. Thanks for looking.

AccomodationHDR by scottish_gweilo, on Flickr

Last edited:
Good luck for this challenge. I am also a newbie in regards to photo editing but that is why we are here to learn.

I think the image is a bit over exposed because the colours are a bit washed out. I really like using HDR

I know you say you're not happy with the sky and the boats but for me they work the way they are. The way they melt into the hazy background fits the scene well imho. Same with the colours, from being very bright in the foreground and slowly falling off as you go deeper in to the scene is in keeping with the haze.
I've never had a go at HDR so can't offer any help with that but I do feel allot of HDR images look over produced, this one on the other hand is not one of those, yes it is HDR but isn't over produced and holds it's natural feel.
I think it's a pretty good image :)

I like the haziness in the sky and think this is good. Good luck for the next 51 weeks.

I love the sky & water reflection ,that'd make a picture on it's own ! Not sure about the colors on the jetty ( & know nothing about HDR) but it is growing on me :)

Thanks for the feedback so far folks. All well received and encouraging that people like the parts I'm still not happy with! Shows how subjective what we do is.

So week 2, theme = New. Let me explain why this photo represents new.

1. Last week I sumitted an old part of Hong Kong, this week I've gone for a new one.
2. I used my new wide angle lens for the shot.
3. It was taken on a new venture of getting together with a Uni friend to shoot, which we will continue every 2/3 weeks as a result.

I hope you like it.

TsingMaWideAngle by scottish_gweilo, on Flickr

I think you've captured that bridge very well. The exposure is spot on (y)

I like that, it's a great shot. So far you have old and new parts of Hong Kong - will you this week be going for a stylish part? :D

I like that, it's a great shot. So far you have old and new parts of Hong Kong - will you this week be going for a stylish part? :D

You can only shoot what you've got to work with! I think it might be fashion week here, so I'll investigate what that might offer. Maybe I'll try a photo style that I've never tried before, quite like the idea of a long exposure during sunrise. Anyone recommend a filter system that is:

a: suitable for a tokina 11-16
b: easily added to e.g. additional filters like nd etc
c: isn't too hard on the pocket but still decent quality?

Thanks for the feedback and taking the time to look, much appreciated.

Derek

Here is my photo for week 3. I'm not particularly happy with it but hey, I wanted to submit something so it'll have to do.

Style is the manner in which something is done, so this shot is represents the old style of transport, still available on Hong Kong Island. I deliberately wanted to get the buses and taxis in the shot as a contrast of the old and new.

Tram by scottish_gweilo, on Flickr

All your shots are very nice and you have a good take on the themes. It is refreshing to see photos from another part of the world. Thanks for sharing :)

Hi Derek, All your shots in this challenge are great. I particularly like your submission for STYLE. Your pic for OPEN is a fab pic. The contrast , detail and composition are spot on. However to represent the theme better could you have shown the open hands more prominently - i dont know- just asking- it may not have been possible. Great shot regardless

Martin

derek, echoing HOPE, its good to see the themes in the context, from another part of the world, i love the bridge, softness adds something dream like. though your HDR in the first seemed more like neon blue so was off putting..

Great start though.. (y)

Hi Derek, All your shots in this challenge are great. I particularly like your submission for STYLE. Your pic for OPEN is a fab pic. The contrast , detail and composition are spot on. However to represent the theme better could you have shown the open hands more prominently - i dont know- just asking- it may not have been possible. Great shot regardless

Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the feedback. It was difficult to get the shot you describe and I agree it would have demonstrated my theme much better. I was at the statue at around 3-4pm and the sun was directly above the statue's right shoulder, I did try a few things but nothing that I was happy with.

Derek

Wow, i really love your 'open' theme shot, the statue against the blue of the sky is perfect, nicely done :)

Hard, was actually the hardest week for me so far! It's Chinese New Year, which is great forshooting opportunities but there are so many people everywhere! This is a shot of the spectacular Lunar New Year's Fireworks in Victoria Harbour. It was a Hard shot to get, I originally tried to be harbour side, but there were so many people camping there from 5-6 hours before hand. So I decided my bedroom would suffice. The shot was taken on a tripod that is outside my flat window, resting on top of the apartment below's air conditioning unit. The tripod was then tied on to the bed post for safety! I'm quite happy with the bursts, but perhaps not the composition. It was difficult to improve the composition.

CNYFireworks1 by scottish_gweilo, on Flickr

I have never successfully shot fireworks so i totally get why this is 'hard' :). As for composition why dont you crop it TP the composition you want? Also can you perhaps make the night sky blacker in lightroom or Photoshop? I love the fireworks. You caught them great!

I have never successfully shot fireworks so i totally get why this is 'hard' :). As for composition why dont you crop it TP the composition you want? Also can you perhaps make the night sky blacker in lightroom or Photoshop? I love the fireworks. You caught them great!

Because I shot them from my apartment, there is another building in the foreground of the shot that prevents a crop where I can have the reflection of the fireworks on the water. There is another building on the right of the image that I would love to crop out but it would remove part of the firework burst and an iconic building from the skyline that gives the photo some context/location.

I'll have a play around with the sky colour, thanks for the feedback and for looking!

Is there some rule in the 52 where you can do a reshoot of a week? I've literally had no time to shoot anything for Clutter as it's been a busy time in HK. I really don't want a gap in my 52 though, so this post is a place marker!

I don't think it really matters if you don't post a photo for the week. After all, there are no real rules, just guidelines. There are "Jokers" in the guidelines where you can post a photo not relating to the theme. Or you can just catch up when you have some free time.
Cool photos by the way. The Buddha is good and I Like the photo for Hard. It's almost Panoramic in it's crop.

Back