weekly ChickenDipa's 52 week 2012 Colour + Shadow added

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
Yes
My thread for the 52 challenge, seen as the first theme is up I am getting prepped ready.

I will be using a couple of different cameras. Either my phone, Nikon S3100 or the D7000 (if I can get my hands on it :D).

Looking forward to testing my imagination and creativity with this, first time doing it. Hoping it will force me into thinking things through a bit more instead of being a bit of an 'Austin Powers' type photographer!! Though it works sometimes :clap:

Is it too early for a :help:

:)

Last edited:
Well best of luck in this challenge, it will take you to new places photographically and I know that the members that have completed previous years have found it a really enjoyable challenge (y)

Matt
MWHCVT

HI Alex...welcome to the 52's madhouse (y)
Best of luck with your challenge & look forward to seeing your images ....& it's never to early to ask for help ( though don't ask me...not a clue what I'm doing ):LOL:

Good on you Alex.

I've said I'm then I'm not, but I'm in.

Looks like there are some similar faces from the 2011 52...(y)

I'm sat her at work :D wondering what the hell I've let myself in for again.

Trust me, you'll have a blast. Fell free to PM me if you start to enter 'The Dip' !

Cheers and subscribed.

Thanks guys. Looking forward to my own challenge and how everyone else sees the themes.

Andy, you obviously enjoyed it last time around so you would be daft not to do it again!

best of luck Alex :)

I have got 3 ideas for this one, going to take them all and see which I like best. Think the D7000 will have to be used for 1 of the ideas and we'll see with the other two.

Some really great ideas popping up!

#1 Direction

I had two ideas for this one, so here are the best 2 from each set.

Always wanted to try a bokeh type of shot so with the Christmas lights still being around thought it would be a good use of them.

TP 52.01 Direction (Idea 1) by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

My 2nd idea was actual directions somewhere. Not overly happy with the pictures but its something different for me so good in that respect.

TP 52.01 Direction (Idea 2) by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Andy, you obviously enjoyed it last time around so you would be daft not to do it again!

'Enjoyed', yeah, that's one word for it :puke:

#1 Direction

I had two ideas for this one, so here are the best 2 from each set.

Always wanted to try a bokeh type of shot so with the Christmas lights still being around thought it would be a good use of them.

TP 52.01 Direction (Idea 1) by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

My 2nd idea was actual directions somewhere. Not overly happy with the pictures but its something different for me so good in that respect.

TP 52.01 Direction (Idea 2) by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Good start. I saw them in Flickr...think I prefer different shaped bokeh though.

#2 is a nice literal intepretation.

Cheers and only 51 or 52 to go...

Quite like the lights, it's exposed well. 2nd take is a good one, I would consider cropping the google bit out at the top, so it concentrates on the main directions.

Ditto... and maybe shift the focus point nearer in #2

Good ideas though.

Cheers

Steve

Hiya Alex,

Well done on taking on the Photo52 challenge for this year.

You will find there are weeks where you post more than one photo as some of the themes can have multiple meanings .... but that all adds to the fun :)

I have to agree, that #1 is a great take on the theme. My only slight nitpick would be a slight crop on the left to exclude the light in the far lower right corner.

With #2 I like the literal take of the theme, however I agree about cropping the top as the dark bit and Google are quite distracting and I think the image would benefit from the whole frame to be filled with the directions. I like the DOF (y)

Well done on your first and good luck with the rest of the years' challenge.

Cheers

Dawn :)

Regards picture #2

7 left turns in a row? That's a circle. Is the interpretation of direction 'always going in the same direction', or are you showing the direction of the natural life cycle, birth and death.

Alternativley it's either an inwards or outwards spiral. The inward spiral representing introversion and the outward spiral representing an extrovert.

I'd be interested to know a little more about your concept.

The first is a clever and different execution of the theme with lots of technical merit too (y)

The second is a good idea although not sure about having both sheets of paper and agree with comments above about the composition :)

Really not much to tell in terms of the directions. Nothing deep and meaningful. So I could get a long list of directions I selected Lands End Airport to John O'Groats ferry terminal. Step 4 & 5 are roundabouts and when printed the default arrow is left.

Edit

Idea2_Direction5_reedit by ChickenDipa, on Flickr

Now that is what I had in mind ..... love it! Now add a very then border and I think that you have the 'directions' confined.

I think I had the reputation for queen of borders to start, and yes .... through the challenge learned how to curb my 'borderism' .... but I just think that this image is asking for one.

Otherwise I love it (y)

Oh and BTW I like how all the arrows are pointing the same direction (they coincide with my OCD ..... something you may encounter throughout the project from fellow team members :D)

Cheers

Last edited:
Whats your photographic challenge for the year Dawn? Keep meaning to ask!

Hiya Alex,

I am hoping to purchase some photographic lighting accessories this year and delve into the 'Noir' of photography .... with a very feminine ambiance to same (I think that will really push my boundries ;)). I have also committed myself to the POTY 2012 (today :wacky:) but think I need to give it a go after all I have learned doing the Photo52 last year ..... I can but try ;) and learn from the same experience.

I also plan to do an A-Z .... which I think is self explanatory .... which may be much of a mishmash of what I can think of for the letter, so no definite theme.

Another project I want to complete, but not sure if I will have the time, is to do a project (probably a Photo52) of the gemstones that I collect (after all I have enough of them) and do a sort of 'school project' which people can learn about same both from a geological and metaphysical aspect.

So all in all .... quite a busy year. I did consider taking on the Photo52 again ..... but I think I may be best placed in encouraging and motivating the 2012 team to make it to the end.

Good luck with your project ..... I am sure you are going to enjoy it immensely !

Cheers

Hi Alex

Good start to your challenge (y)

1# does nothing for me I'm afraid though I can sort of make out an arrow ? Not being harsh...just not for me I'm afraid

2# nice...good interpretation , nicely shot , good use of DOF & the border sets it off :clap:

Hiya Alex,

I am hoping to purchase some photographic lighting accessories this year and delve into the 'Noir' of photography .... with a very feminine ambiance to same (I think that will really push my boundries ;)). I have also committed myself to the POTY 2012 (today :wacky:) but think I need to give it a go after all I have learned doing the Photo52 last year ..... I can but try ;) and learn from the same experience.

I also plan to do an A-Z .... which I think is self explanatory .... which may be much of a mishmash of what I can think of for the letter, so no definite theme.

Another project I want to complete, but not sure if I will have the time, is to do a project (probably a Photo52) of the gemstones that I collect (after all I have enough of them) and do a sort of 'school project' which people can learn about same both from a geological and metaphysical aspect.

So all in all .... quite a busy year. I did consider taking on the Photo52 again ..... but I think I may be best placed in encouraging and motivating the 2012 team to make it to the end.

Good luck with your project ..... I am sure you are going to enjoy it immensely !

Cheers

Sounds like you have a lot on, look forward to seeing the results of all of it!

Going to keep an eye on the POTY 2012 stuff, really interested to see what comes out of it.

The gemstones and the A-Z both sound like great projects.

Thanks for the support!!

Good start to your challenge

1# does nothing for me I'm afraid though I can sort of make out an arrow ? Not being harsh...just not for me I'm afraid

2# nice...good interpretation , nicely shot , good use of DOF & the border sets it off

Thanks Lynne, yup its an arrow and no worries about the comment. Be boring if we all liked the same stuff.

Really surprised (and pleased) with the comments that #2 is getting. Its growing on me, didnt think it was any good at all at first.

Sounds like you have a lot on, look forward to seeing the results of all of it!

Going to keep an eye on the POTY 2012 stuff, really interested to see what comes out of it.

The gemstones and the A-Z both sound like great projects.

Thanks for the support!!

Indeed, I just hope I can achieve what I want to this year. However one of my main focuses will be on supporting the Photo52'ers for this year, so I will see how much of my own photography I get to do.

Good luck with your project.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments. I now cant decide between the two which my favourite is. I like the lights, as I like that sort of thing but the crop and border have turned #2 into something.

Really enjoyed both of them so (y) and looking forward to week 2.

Good luck with the 52 the lights just edges it but its close good ideas and bang on theme

'Fear'

Bit stumped when I read this weeks theme. Mind went blank. I think I have an idea now though so will see how that pans out. If it doesn't work - stumped!! Should get round to trying it either tomorrow night or Tuesday.

Good luck all :)

'Fear'

Bit stumped when I read this weeks theme. Mind went blank. I think I have an idea now though so will see how that pans out. If it doesn't work - stumped!! Should get round to trying it either tomorrow night or Tuesday.

Good luck all :)

Hi, remember you have until Saturday to post;)

A lot of people seem to think they gave to post quickly m.

Cheers.

Back