weekly *manda* updated

Name
Amanda Herbert
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

I'm here to join in the fun! I'll be using my phone/instagram and my trusty D300. I tend to panic when working to a 'brief' so I can't promise to get it right all the time. I'm giving myself 5 jokers as work dictates intense periods of madness coupled with lots of down time (I'm a primary school teacher).

Facebook | Google + | Flickr

cheers Mandy

Week 1 : Direction
Week 2 : Fear :: Postprocessing tips
Week 3 : Sigh
Week 4 : Sweet
Week 5 : Secure :: Sharpending for Facebook
Week 6 : Industry ::How to photo montage
Week 7 : Roots :: magic # for starbursts
Week 8 : Handmade
Week 9 : Money
Week 10 : Win
Week 11 : Shiny
Week 12 : Magic
Week 13 : Vice
Week 14 : Entrance
Week 15 : Soft
Week 16 : Pride :: how I took it
Week 17 : Short
Week18 :
Week 19 : Authority
Week 20 :
Week 21 : Random
Week 22 :
Week 23 : Abstract
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 : Joy
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Last edited:
Hi manda welcome to the madness.... i like this shot , there's alamost a 3D feel to it with the painted footprints looking as if they are slopping away from the ridge across the middle.

Cheers

Steve

Nice shot, great start.
Instantly made me think of 'bigger boots to fill' very conceptual! imo

Really like this. Great colour, DOF, composition.

Love the way you've got colourful, 3D childs feet, with potential to do anything, next to flat colourless adult feet, imprinted in the ground static and lifeless. Hope this isn't the direction the child goes in.

I like the shot and the processing - the colours work well. Would maybe have liked a little more space between your toes and the footprints :)

Hiya Amanda,

Well done babes for taking on this years' Photo52 challenge and good luck!

Having completed the 2011 Photo52 .... the sense of achievement and the knowledge, photography skill and friendships forged doing same is priceless.

I notice you have set yourself 5 jokers (but believe me when the 52 bug bites you will want to achieve them all). Especially if you have a 52 team like I thankfully had last year. And coming to think of it ..... I don't think that any of them who finally completed used a joker.

I am not going to tell you fibs ..... it does get tough as the year progresses .... sort of 'economy of scales' :LOL: ... there will be 'peeks' and 'troughs', but believe me if you can get through you will be so pleased with yourself at the end.

As I have offered to your fellow team members .... if ever you feel low, uninspired, demotivated, lost for ideas ..... please send me a PM and I will do my best to motivate you again (coming to think of it .... we had to do same for quite a few of our team members from 2011).

So I wish you all the best! I will pop past to view your progress and if at any time you need some motivation you know where I am ;)

Look forward to your pics.

BTW I think your photo is fantastic and is bang on theme ...... it has as others have pointed out a sort of 3D effect ..... and also conveys the message that you know which direction to take ;)

Cheers

Dawn :)

Last edited:
Great start and good luck for the 52. I would have done one myself but I feel I'm too new :p

Great start and good luck for the 52. I would have done one myself but I feel I'm too new :p

Hiya Josh,

You are never 'too new' for a Photo52 ..... in fact these projects are for anyone regardless of your photographic experience.

Believe me .... you will learn so much! AND ..... never feel ashamed or disheartened ..... most who are participating are here for the same reason .... to learn and advance their photography skills.

Take the plunge .... go for it! You will be surprised at the support you receive and in 52 weeks from now you will look back and think .... "Wow! I am so glad I completed this because I have learned so much!" Right .... off you go .... start your thread NOW ;)

[Sorry Amanda for hi-jacking your thread to encourage another member to join].

Cheers

Hiya Josh,

You are never 'too new' for a Photo52 ..... in fact these projects are for anyone regardless of your photographic experience.

Believe me .... you will learn so much! AND ..... never feel ashamed or disheartened ..... most who are participating are here for the same reason .... to learn and advance their photography skills.

Take the plunge .... go for it! You will be surprised at the support you receive and in 52 weeks from now you will look back and think .... "Wow! I am so glad I completed this because I have learned so much!" Right .... off you go .... start your thread NOW ;)

[Sorry Amanda for hi-jacking your thread to encourage another member to join].

Cheers

Goshh, I'm so tempted. You know what, I'm going to go for it so I don't regret it. I'll get a thread made now! :LOL:

I'm such a push over, it should take more convincing than that :LOL:

Goshh, I'm so tempted. You know what, I'm going to go for it so I don't regret it. I'll get a thread made now! :LOL:

I'm such a push over, it should take more convincing than that :LOL:

:clap: Josh good for you, I will look out for your thread and comment and encourage you via same. If ever you feel despondent, lacking motivation or no ideas for a theme, let me know and I will help where I can.

I'm sure there are a few of my Photo52'ers of 2011 who would consider me quite the mistress :bat:

Good luck ;) Now get to it!

Cheers

Dawn, A mistress who loves to mass debate :eek: I promise to behave! ....:naughty:

Anyway, Amanda, Really like the start of your 52 wk project. Love the punchy colours.

I agree with what done said re the jokers, at the end of 2011 I had not used any of them at all, I made sure I completed the themes. The sense of achievement is amazing at the end.

I look forward to following your project. (y)

HI Amanda....welcome aboard :wave:

nice start to your project...bang on theme,nice colors & DOF...the light line at the top distracts me a little but thats minor...good stuff :clap:

Dawn, A mistress who loves to mass debate :eek: I promise to behave! ....:naughty:

:LOL: I just noticed this .... and hey you and me are old timers now from last year .... so you know the score :D

Dx

Hi Amanda

Welcome aboard the good ship 52 and all the best with the project.

I really like the concept of your first entry and think it has been executed extremely well.

From one teacher to another I hope that school stuff does not get in the way of the photography stuff

all the best

Spooks

I like that a lot! There's nothing I'd change!

I like the shot and the 3D feel of it. Was it an Instagram shot? I am a sucker for those, just wish they would get their fingers out with the Android version!

Good luck with your project!

Week 2 - Fear

Fear 2/52 by M@ndy, on Flickr

I took a couple of concept shots this morning, which were rubbish, so I've gone with another iphone image. Processed in Camera+, Snapseed and Filterstorm.

I tried 3 renditions, but this was the best. I also think it would have been better if someone was coming up the stairs. I'll post my rubbish attempts later when I fire up my PC.

Thanks Mandy

Last edited:
Hi Amanda!
I am trying to get around all the 52's to add comment and encouragement and have just arrived at yours. I love your photograph for direction, your colourful shoes against the tarmac work well in contrast. I like the processing too, it has a vintage feel about it.
I like your photograph for fear too, again your processing works well it suits the subject. I have broken one of my unwritten rules by looking/commenting on your fear photograph before I have posted my own take on the theme. Having completed a 52 in 2010 I tended not to look at others take on a theme so as I wasn't influenced in any way IYSWIM :D
Good start to your 52. Good luck. Iain

I don't see the fear element either but if it's anything like for my week 2 entry the fear is all mine and unless someone has the same fear then its not obvious.

Texture and processing is lovely.

For fear to come through more, more stairs would have to be included (easier said than done obviously!) to give that high up feel. Unless fear has nothing to do with height and stairs!!

I like the image and for a piece of iPhone art, it is really effective (going to have a look at the apps you have used for pp work). I am none to sure about how it conveys the fear theme but the descent into the abyss comes to mind.

I like the 'grittiness' of your image Amanda. I agree with you in that the stranger coining up the stairs may make the image more sinister or 'fearful'

I agree with the above comments! The thought of someone following me up the stairs is scary and also the thought of falling down concrete stairs is def one of my fears!!

Hi Amanda

crikey...thats flippin neat for an iPhone image :clap: Great processing , like the angle...still working on the Fear bit though....thinking that maybe it's to represent the fear of being followed down a dimly lit stairwell ? If I'm right then maybe , just maybe ,seeing a hand on the railing close to the bottom of the shot might add to it :shrug:

Look forward to seeing more of your images (y)

ps....don't forget to update the spreadsheet...makes it far simpler to track who's done what....link in 1st post where the themes are added each week...just stick an x in the box next to your name under the relevant theme..........I've updated wk's 1 & 2 for you :)

Lovely photo but I'm not quite getting the fear bit - however WELL DONE for posting such a great a iPhone image.
Just goes to show that good photography does not need a special camera - it is what you do with it that really counts. I remember when I was young, one of my favourite photos was taken with a camera that came free with Kellogs.

Direction : It works, it fits the theme, and I like it...

Fear : I quite like fear, but I'm not sure I'm getting the fear coming through... although, I guess fear of heights... perhaps if the person below had looked up in shock (but I can quite understand why you also wouldn't then want to shoot :D...)

Hi all,

I've tried to get around as many contributors as possible this week, sorry if I've not been able to return the favour and comment on your posts this week.

As promised - outtakes - now you can see that my first post for fear was made in desperation and not artistic licence!

Conceptual shoots that failed: locked out of my phone (say no more) and 'fear of flash' .... the image went horribly, horribly wrong and I couldn't get what I imagined at all!

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/amandaherbertcom/6690850481/] ScreenShot019 by M@ndy, on Flickr[/URL]

The good news is that I spent the week looking for opportunities to spot 'fear' on my walk to work. Again, they might not meet the brief, but the exercise in 'looking' made the approach to work a pleasant distraction.

Fear of death:

Untitled by M@ndy, on Flickr

Fear of strangers

Fear of nightmares:

Fear of oppression:

I'll also post my play on fear on 500px.

Looking forward to the next theme, Mandy

Last edited:
Back