weekly *manda* updated

I think the table is great and really compliments the nuts. I agree with Mark, its a well taken shot.

:clap:

5 / 52 Secure

6776772333_0c7377465a.jpg
[/url] Week 5 *secure* by M@ndy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Have a good week everyone, Mandy

Just a couple of catch up comments.
Liking direction, simplistic but works. Stranger definately gives Fear and nice processing.
Sweet, a well lit and sharp shot, possibly do with a couple to fill frame a bit more front and back. Secure, plenty of locks and fits theme. Shame it's spoilt by your shadow.

Thanks for the feedback guys! There are lot of crusty doors in Brick Lane. That's my husband's shadow, purposely placed there to create the threat to security. I guess if I need to explain my images, they aren't quite hitting the mark :)

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed the point but I guess the bright lighting and pinkish colour around the shadow makes it look like it was taken using sunlight

Hi Amanda

Sweet - to me a good composition. The weatherd look of the table matches the rusticity of the sweets. Also, commmenting on the number of sweets, in gardening they always say that an odd number of plants in a group works better - you have 5 individual or 3 groups and it has a balance to me, although the milk choc at the centre seems washed out compared with the dark chocs at ends. good photo

Secure - probably inevitable that locks would feature in many, but yours is a clever take onj the thme - good spot to find them and nice composiion. I must admit that I thought that the shadow was yours and it does not add to the pic - i understand your reasoning but as you say, if we have to explain some of the minor details then they probably don't work. But a really interesting pic with loads of detail and patina.

mtjhome said:
Liking the idea of the montage very much.
I presume the vignetting is post process too??

Yes, they all had the same preset in LR and then taken into PS to create the montage. I used the action for Facebook I created based on the link in *sweet* and it seems to work a treat!

Thanks Mandy

Good take on secure, quite different.

LR = Light Room.

Hi Manda, I've looked at your images before just not had chance to comment.

I love sweet, I think the rustic wooden table adds character to it. Are the mini brandy snaps dipped in chocolate?

Secure is a good idea, all lovely images. I also thought the shadow was you.

I'm intrigued about your FB actions? What do you do?

Hi Amanda, I really like your montage of 'secure' I think it all works very well with it's differing horizontal and vertical lines. The shadow on the ventilated louvre door is really good. Another good week for you, done and dusted ! (y)

I like the images.

But I'd rather see just the one, I find them too small to properly enjoy, and a bit confusing as a collection.

LR = Light Room.

Hi Manda, I've looked at your images before just not had chance to comment.

I love sweet, I think the rustic wooden table adds character to it. Are the mini brandy snaps dipped in chocolate?

Secure is a good idea, all lovely images. I also thought the shadow was you.

I'm intrigued about your FB actions? What do you do?

Hi, I've posted directly on your thread. For posterity, I've posted the link on my first page.

Facebook mashes images as it uploads them. I've started to use this method and it works a treat. The key is to resize to 720 on the longest edge, use a heavy sharpening level and save as png. The image is perfect for facebook and flickr, but I can't use them on my Aminus site.

You can see how well it works here.

Thanks Mandy

Last edited:
Quick off the mark with Secure, I can't decide if the montage works for me, but credit goes for putting in the work so early :clap: some good pictures also in the rest of your 52.

Fear - I love the tones on your stairs shot. Nice composition as well.

Sigh – I like your take on the dinner. I think we’ve all been there

Sweet – Nice shot. I like the use of the textured wood

Secure – Nice use of a montage

Hi Amanda, I like your use of the montage for secure and the shadow works for me - it's like its testing how secure all those locks are!

I look forward to seeing your take on the next theme!

5 / 52 Secure

6776772333_0c7377465a.jpg
[/url] Week 5 *secure* by M@ndy, on Flickr[/IMG]

Have a good week everyone, Mandy

Not sure about this one, I both do and dont like it :shrug:

I think it's very creative and well done, but I also think it looks too busy.

I think whats really doing it for me too is that there's a shadow on the right of somebody which is obviously only on one of the dropped in crops :thinking:

I forgot to ask how did you do the montage thing?

Hi,

Click to access the free download and explanation!

Photo montages are deceptively easy and hard to do! I've found it helps to choose images with the same colour / tone and hang together well with a theme.

Heygate Estate by M@ndy, on Flickr

My submission does not work because, although they are all locks, there is no narrative to the sequence. As a random selection, they jar the viewer rather than let the audience understand the story. The images should have been: overview of building, door frame, tight shot of lock and perhaps some litter or decay on the floor. Then I would have set up the context and potential story board for the image. It makes me laugh that the only photo I put any thought into (& was inspired by the fear theme) is the one photo that has been most discussed!

Let me know how you get on or have some images you want to put together! I'm off out in the snow this afternoon, but have some time in the morning!

Cheers Mandy

manda said:
Photo montages are deceptively easy and hard to do! I've found it helps to choose images with the same colour / tone and hang together well with a theme.

Let me know how you get on or have some images you want to put together! I'm off out in the snow this afternoon, but have some time in the morning!
Thanks for that. I've only just had a chance to log on as I was out in the snow with the kids this morning! I'm just building myself up for a drive to find something industrial! I'll keep a 'story' in mind and may try something with it! I'll let you know how it goes.

Like the gritty angular style of #1 Mandy, not so keen on the slope to #2 but like the processing of both.

Back