First time in a hide. .....TEN different birds......

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
What better way to get away from the in-laws for an hour....... than to go hide in the hide at Elvedon CenterParcs.

Comments, criticism, or advice much appreciated. Along with corrections if I've managed to ID incorrectly!

All shot with D5100, with 55-300mm lens in one afternoon. I did take quite a few shots on the feeders, but found the best shots came while they were on the branches before flying onto the feeders, and tried to find the areas / angles with the cleanest backgrounds. Hope I have picked up some good habits!

#1 Great Tit

#2 Blue Tit

#3 Blue Tit

#4 Coal Tit

#5 Brambling

#6 Robin

Last edited:
And the rest of my haul too....

#7 Eurasian Jay

#8 Mr Chaffinch

#9 Mrs Chaffinch

#10 Mr Siskin

#11 Mrs Siskin

#12 Great Spotted Woodpecker

Looks like it was time well spent Graham, male siskin for me from a great selection (y)

For your first time in a hide, you got some good shoots....
I like the Jay, blue tits and robin...

Cheers Guys - your kind comments are very much appreciated... Slightly embarrassed to say I'd never seen some of these birds before. The Chaffinches and Blue Tits were plentiful, I also got a poor shot of a Nuthatch.

It was actually over two hours I was in there - explains why the wife was a bit frosty when I returned. :LOL:

That's a brilliant set. The third (blue tit) and sixth (robin) really made me laugh especially the robin - fantastic poses.

You must get away from the in-laws more often:D

That's a brilliant set. The third (blue tit) and sixth (robin) really made me laugh especially the robin - fantastic poses.

You must get away from the in-laws more often:D

Thanks very much John, I do try... as much as I can :LOL:

Anyone know what the funny sticky up bits are by his beak??
dsc2795dev.jpg

Great set.

I've visited that hide a few times, and it is just teeming with bird life. Then there's the deer that roam around in front of the hide, plus the birds of prey that visit to eat Mr Blue Tit. What's not to love!

Glad you enjoyed yourself there, well worth your time by the looks of it.

Sorry Pete - I missed the Batman / Robin gag first time of reading last night, but now I'm awake... :LOL:

Cheers again Neil (y)

And yes Adam, the set up there really gets you half way to a decent shot. I did half expect to see some sort of bird of prey given all the snacks on offer... Also plenty of pigeons, pheasants, rabbits, squirrels and the small deer.

And Mr & Mrs Blackbird to close. Cheers. (y)

Congratulations Graham, your shots here are very impressive, I bet you're chuffed eh? - I'd be very happy to have these in my portfolio. (y)

I am now completely enthused to try and get some shots like these for myself. (having the same equipment as yourself) Can you tell me, are any of these cropped? if so any chance of posting an uncropped one up for comparison, so I can get an Idea of how far you were from the birds?

A good selection there (y)
Are these through glass? I'm only wondering because of the amount of children/noise i'd expect there to be. Saying that, I've not been to a CenterParcs

Cheers Brian, tbh the hide got me easily half way to each of these shots...

Couple of SOOC jpgs for you, resized and tiny sharpen.

dsc2843q.jpg

dsc2700001.jpg

On average most of the above are cropped to about 9MP, 3500 x 2500 px or thereabouts, mostly for compostion to remove stray branches etc.

Couldn't have been more than 3 metres from most of them, maybe 4 or 5 for the woodpecker, jay and brambling. And it was like shooting fish in a barrell - I'd have chucked the camera if I'd come away with nothing.. :LOL:

A good selection there (y)
Are these through glass? I'm only wondering because of the amount of children/noise i'd expect there to be. Saying that, I've not been to a CenterParcs

No glass - just a large shed, 8m x 3m maybe, with open openings to the front. People walking in and out most of the time, yes kids but all whispering.

Last edited:
The hide served you well, but you got a great set of pics there mate (y)

on the back of this, I'm off to a local hide myself for an hour this arvo!

Thanks for the boost!

A nice varied selection.

Your Great Spotted Woodpecker is a Mrs if you weren't sure.

The hide served you well, but you got a great set of pics there mate (y)

on the back of this, I'm off to a local hide myself for an hour this arvo!

Thanks for the boost!

Excellent - fingers crossed for the weather!

A nice varied selection.

Your Great Spotted Woodpecker is a Mrs if you weren't sure.

Cheers. (y)

I wasn't sure - you've done well to tell through the blur on this one. :LOL:

Thanks Marsha. Was just the Nikon 55-300. It was an impressive sight when we firstwent iñ and I'm really glad I went back on my own with the camera the next day.

Cheers. (y)

I wasn't sure - you've done well to tell through the blur on this one. :LOL:

General rule: Red on top of head = juvenile, red on back of head = male, no red on head = female.

Teenagers - well who knows, I'm giving up with mine. ;)

Back