101 ways to ruin a roll of film

freecom2 said:
Woah - just a small leak I think :bonk:

Is that on an RB back?

I think it was from when I was removing the roll from the film holder and sealing it, I never trust the little strips of adhesive paper for this reason, so went to tape it up and took a bit too long :(

I'm impressed Rob, this thread has been going for over a year and I really like that you are still finding ways to ruin a roll of film, your perseverance is to be applauded :clap::clap::clap:

I'm impressed Rob, this thread has been going for over a year and I really like that you are still finding ways to ruin a roll of film, your perseverance is to be applauded :clap::clap::clap:

I've noticed that most of the methods of buggering up a roll of film are mine :wacky:

Just because you started the thread Rob doesn't mean that you have to keep ruining film to keep it going. :LOL::LOL:

RaglanSurf said:

:LOL: :LOL:

After loading a film in a hurry at a wedding a few monts ago, only now, after finishing the film, did I find that it had not taken up on the spool. Cue 36 blank frames

After loading a film in a hurry at a wedding a few monts ago, only now, after finishing the film, did I find that it had not taken up on the spool. Cue 36 blank frames

At least you put the film in - one famous photographer who's name escapes me at the moment was the photographer for Frank Sinatra's wedding and it wasn't until halfway through he realised that he hadn't loaded any film! He loaded it and took pictures from there but Sinatra actually found it quite funny apparently (He was friends with the photographer)

I shot my first ever roll of 120 in a ETRSi over a year ago but have only recently got round to developing them. I've home developed a lot of 35mm films and have done a few 120s that i shot more recently. I finally got round to developing this roll of film that had been sitting in my drawers for a year and I had it in the dev tank ready to go and for some reason instead of pouring in the dev through the top (which I do all the time and should be second nature) I unscrewed the top of the tank and poured it straight in, exposing the roll to the bathroom light. I immediately realised what I'd done and binned the film a few minutes later after looking at myself in the bathroom mirror in disgust.

Did that back in the 70's with a roll of Kodachrome, and that was almost half a week's wages back then :eek:

I shot my first ever roll of 120 in a ETRSi over a year ago but have only recently got round to developing them. I've home developed a lot of 35mm films and have done a few 120s that i shot more recently. I finally got round to developing this roll of film that had been sitting in my drawers for a year and I had it in the dev tank ready to go and for some reason instead of pouring in the dev through the top (which I do all the time and should be second nature) I unscrewed the top of the tank and poured it straight in, exposing the roll to the bathroom light. I immediately realised what I'd done and binned the film a few minutes later after looking at myself in the bathroom mirror in disgust.

:bang: :bang:

You think you've got the hang of it... and then a moment of idiocy comes all over!

:bang: :bang:

You think you've got the hang of it... and then a moment of idiocy comes all over!

I don't even know what was going on in my head. I still feel sick thinking about it because it was a roll I shot in the wintertime in the Scottish Highlands. I remember there being an amazing sunset with a red sky against the white snow and thinking surely I've got a keeper on this roll.

:shake:

WOW..still not as bad as my wife showing me about 2.5ft of exposed holiday film (taken out of the camera) and saying "the camera wont rewind, can you sort it out". :wacky: yeah sure I threw it in the bin.
The problem was:- the camera didn't have auto rewind (like her old camera), only manual :shrug:...if only she had asked me first erm but she was in Ireland and they all had digital cameras.

Sectionate said:

I did that once when I was about fourteen and I've been intensely paranoid about it ever since.

Wind on a frame before closing the back, visual check and check with the rewind handle that the film is tensioned.

It's one thing I don't like about using the T90 and EOS 3 that I can't do that with the automatic take-up and advance. Leaves me feeling nervous. :-/

Yes, I agree about the paranoia. I'm used to a Pentax ME which has excellent "white needles" that really work; loading film is a doddle. The "new" MX also has white needles, but for some odd reason they don't work nearly as well. Several times I've loaded the film and after a few shots realised it wasn't winding, so now I do the whole "wind right round before closing the back" thing!

I did that once when I was about fourteen and I've been intensely paranoid about it ever since.

Wind on a frame before closing the back, visual check and check with the rewind handle that the film is tensioned.

It's one thing I don't like about using the T90 and EOS 3 that I can't do that with the automatic take-up and advance. Leaves me feeling nervous. :-/

Yes, I agree about the paranoia. I'm used to a Pentax ME which has excellent "white needles" that really work; loading film is a doddle. The "new" MX also has white needles, but for some odd reason they don't work nearly as well. Several times I've loaded the film and after a few shots realised it wasn't winding, so now I do the whole "wind right round before closing the back" thing!

Yep makes me feel a little unnerved too...... I wind the film on more than necessary before closing the back....sometimes only end up with 33 or 34 frames on a 36 roll but better than ending up with no results imo.

No. 46: Put it through a Kodak Hawkeye Folding camera. :(

fMHOTur.jpg

Going to Hawaii, trekking across a volcano to where the lava meets the sea, getting plenty of amazing shots then finding out that the film hadn't engaged properly on the sprocket and the film is blank!

Last edited:
Going to Hawaii, trekking across a volcano to where the lava meets the sea, getting plenty of amazing shots then finding out that the film hadn't engaged properly on the sprocket and the film is blank!

That's terrible :eek: and no need for digital lurkers to gloat as they have made mistakes as well.

oh nooo :( I've done that before, with a load of shots of a friend who is sadly not with us any more. Gave the ilm to Snappy Snaps, on picking it up the guy unrolled a completely blank strip of negatives.

Ooh. Looking at the date on that box of 120 film... it expired in 2001. Maybe the camera isn't to blame. I might run it through a Holga to check :/

Ooh. Looking at the date on that box of 120 film... it expired in 2001. Maybe the camera isn't to blame. I might run it through a Holga to check :/

Yeah... because they're notoriously reliable bits of kit aren't they :LOL:

well - helga managed to be light tight with the aid of half a roll of gaffa tape. Of course, after she "ate the sponges" the tension on the film rolls was a wee bit lacking, and we still managed to gather the odd leak after removal from the camera.

Ramming negatives back into their holders is another great way, the one shot I wanted to enter into the comp is now crumpled (scanned it before hand though, phew)

Ramming negatives back into their holders is another great way, the one shot I wanted to enter into the comp is now crumpled (scanned it before hand though, phew)

ditto, got mine developed at asda, and the guy there crumpled 1 strip, thank god it was a bad blurry out of focus composition so no foul there:bang:

another one is don't leave your loaded camera unattended with kids around! Was helping in the kitchen at a party, came back to find the roll count maxed out, after developing was just overexposed pictures of feet and tables :bonk:

another one is don't leave your loaded camera unattended with kids around! Was helping in the kitchen at a party, came back to find the roll count maxed out, after developing was just overexposed pictures of feet and tables :bonk:

Alternatively, gaffa tape child (ren) to dining chair(s) to ensure camera "safety" :D :D :D

ditto, got mine developed at asda, and the guy there crumpled 1 strip, thank god it was a bad blurry out of focus composition so no foul there:bang:

Or leave a roll of film lying around...kids only know about digital and my Grandaughter pull the 35mm film out of the cassette lucky it was only a practice film.

Forget that 4 on the light-meter doesn't mean 1/4 of a second, it means 4 seconds... Not the best start to POTY i could have had but hey ho

When I was a medical photographer, I went to a ward in a hospital and shot a couple of rolls of Ektachrome 64 of a bed bound patients condition.
On the way back to the studio my bleeper went off, and was asked to attend one of the operating theatres, which I did.
It was a chest operation in which there were powerful x-rays being used.
Can you guess yet?
I changed into theatre greens, donned my lead lined apron, masked up,and went in.
Like an idiot I left my camera case, with the exposed film inside, on the floor, but not behind the protective screen.
When I put the tranny film through the soup, all fogged.
Damned X-rays.
Fortunately, I could re-shoot the ward patient, so nothing lost except time.

In 1982 my cousin travelled to Southampton to see his brother coming back from the Falklands

He borrowed a sound cine camera but sound film was sold out for 50 miles so all he could get was silent

The fleet arrived , dozens of ships, small boats, fireboats saluting, sailors on parade on the decks , thousands of people cheering and waving

He'd got there early to get a good spot, he'd have taken some really nice footage, if he'd taken the lens cap off

He didn't find out until he sent it off for developing, it was completely blank

Back