1st Attempt

Name
George.
Edit My Images
No
I've been so "Impressed" with the images and comments that go into making up this section that I thought I'd try and get into it and give it a go myself. So this is my 1st attempt at close up/macro photography. It was taken on a Fuji X-T1 with the 55-200 zoom lens together with 10mm + 16mm Pixco extension tubes. There'll be more rubbish on the way to bore you as I try to improve.

George.

Orange Dalia-1288 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

You should see the rubbish in my folders that will never see the light of day, I should really clear them out.

I like it , I like the colours.

Thanks Poacher, Your comments are very much appreciated. I'll keep trying to improve.(y)

George.

Nowt wrong with that shot George, it's a good start and I'm sure you will get some good comments about it.

I like it. The colours are very pleasing and the shallow depth of field works for me as it draws the eye to the middle of the flower. Well done.

Thanks John, Much appreciated, at the moment I'm absolutely buzzing with this section and can't wait to really get cracking on some more shots.(y)

George.

Nowt wrong with that shot George, it's a good start and I'm sure you will get some good comments about it.

Thank you Graham much appreciated comments. There's still a very long way to go yet.(y)

George.

top effort George- I like that a lot

Les ;)

Thanks Les, I appeciate your comments very much. I'm honoured to get them from someone with your experience.(y)

George.

Thanks Les, I appeciate your comments very much. I'm honoured to get them from someone with your experience.(y)

George.
<--- sniggers withal crafty smile ☺

Oooh! i like that, it is almost hypnotic, no matter where you look yours eyes end up back in the same place.

Great close-up. The shallow DOF really draws your eye to the centre. Nice one!

Oooh! i like that, it is almost hypnotic, no matter where you look yours eyes end up back in the same place.

Well thank you TOp cat, those comments are very much appreciated.(y)

George.

Great close-up. The shallow DOF really draws your eye to the centre. Nice one!

Thank you very much Jackie for those kind comments, Appreciated.(y)

George.

First attempt. Blimey. That's good. Colours, clarity, composition (including a "non-standard" crop that works very well), all looking good to me.

Thank you Nick for your kind comments they are much appreciated.(y)

I should say though that I'm far from new to photography it's just that I've never done close up/macro work before and I'm really enjoying the challenge.:)

George.

Good work George, I like the composition combined with the square crop. My personal preference would be for slightly more DOF. I don't think it needs extending throughout the image but another row or 2 of petals in focus would be beneficial IMO. There are also some strong highlights in the center of the flower, so I think you should look into adding some kind of diffusion.

Not really a crit as such, but something worth checking into. How does the colour match the original? I have no way of knowing of course, but some of the techniques Nick details here are very useful for retaining more accurate colour rendition. I think these are a must for flower shots, looking at the stark difference in colours on some of my flower shots.

Last edited:
Good work George, I like the composition combined with the square crop. My personal preference would be for slightly more DOF. I don't think it needs extending throughout the image but another row or 2 of petals in focus would be beneficial IMO. There are also some strong highlights in the center of the flower, so I think you should look into adding some kind of diffusion.

Not really a crit as such, but something worth checking into. How does the colour match the original? I have no way of knowing of course, but some of the techniques Nick details here are very useful for retaining more accurate colour rendition. I think these are a must for flower shots, looking at the start difference in colours on some of my flower shots.

Many thanks for your comments Tim I appreciate them all very much and will take them all on board.(y)

With regards to colour balance etc it's pretty accurate. I already use the grey/white card system (which I used on this shot) and sometimes a colour meter together with a properly calibrated computer & monitor system.
I need this as a lot of my photography is catalogue and product shots for clients that obviously need accurate colour to show off their products.

George.

I wish my first attempt was as good as that.

Great shot I really like it.

Many thanks Bryn I'm flattered and appreciate your comments. I have a long way to go to catch up to your standard though.(y)

George.

Many thanks for your comments Tim I appreciate them all very much and will take them all on board.(y)

With regards to colour balance etc it's pretty accurate. I already use the grey/white card system (which I used on this shot) and sometimes a colour meter together with a properly calibrated computer & monitor system.
I need this as a lot of my photography is catalogue and product shots for clients that obviously need accurate colour to show off their products.

George.
Ah cool! Top marks in that case!

Looks like you will fit quite nicely in this section just watch out for the mischievous ones ;)

The image is beautiful, gorgeous colours nad i love the crop you've done, right up my street:D

Looks like you will fit quite nicely in this section just watch out for the mischievous ones ;)

The image is beautiful, gorgeous colours nad i love the crop you've done, right up my street:D

Thanks T, I really appreciate your comments.(y)

I don't mind mischievous banter of any kind (I have very thick skin).:D

Constructive crit is very good for anyone who is trying to improve or even for an expert, and in my book it's always worth a polite reply even if you don't agree with it. We all have different views on images as well as everything else around us.

George.

Back