2 in the late night dew:

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
2 in the late night dew: a dead and wet drain fly, and a globular springtail.

Exif:
Copyright: Paul Iddon - A View of the UK
Camera: Canon EOS 70D
Lens: EF100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
Exposure: Manual exposure, 1/250 sec, f/10, ISO 160

Paul.

Nice springtail! Great dof coverage. What on earth is it standing on?

Weird how the drops on the fly look like eyes and a nose (to my eye anyway).

Cheers Nick - the globby is on the waste bin in the garden.

Paul.

Late night hunts, always fun :)

Nice finds again Paul. The drain fly is another one that has a habit of tucking it's head under making it difficult to figure out what's what, but again you have captured it nicely here.

Late night hunts, always fun :)

Nice finds again Paul. The drain fly is another one that has a habit of tucking it's head under making it difficult to figure out what's what, but again you have captured it nicely here.

Neighbours must reckon I'm loopy m8 :rolleyes: :LOL:

Paul.

How do you go about finding things like this?

I've not used my 105 macro on my new 7D yet so I think this could occupy my evening...

How do you go about finding things like this?

I've not used my 105 macro on my new 7D yet so I think this could occupy my evening...

I use extension tubes as well Mark - the lens alone will not magnify this large, plus there has to be some cropping too.

The globbies come out in droves this time of year - by day under leaf litter, and at night - all over the garden!

Paul.

Couple of really good shots there Paul, great composition and detail and your lighting looks to be very good.(y)

George.

I use extension tubes as well Mark

Thanks I've been seeing a lot of people talking about the 1.4 and 2x canon extension tubes lately.

I always thought they were best suited to this kind of thing but now I'm seeing people using them for almost everything. I mainly shoot motor sport but even there tubes might help get a bit more reach out of my 70-200.

I'll have to look in to them & see if there are any used ones on here or LCE.

Couple of really good shots there Paul, great composition and detail and your lighting looks to be very good.(y)

George.

Thanks George - for these two I had the flash in my hand, with the remote trigger on the hotshoe - allows me to vary the proximity of the softbox to try and keep ythe light even.

Paul.

Thanks I've been seeing a lot of people talking about the 1.4 and 2x canon extension tubes lately.

I always thought they were best suited to this kind of thing but now I'm seeing people using them for almost everything. I mainly shoot motor sport but even there tubes might help get a bit more reach out of my 70-200.

I'll have to look in to them & see if there are any used ones on here or LCE.

Be aware there are 1.4x extenders (which increase distance) and there are extension tubes (which increase magnification).

Paul.

Great couple of shots and that bin has been a bit of a good luck charm for you there is none on my compost bin though mine is about 4' tall.

Neighbours must reckon I'm loopy m8 :rolleyes: :LOL:

Paul.

Yet again you say reckon.... they DO THINK you are loopy as we all do. :p

Cheers Bryn.

@Tintin124 - the area of the garden where the globbies reside is shown below - and they tend to inhabit the right hand wheelie bin and the right hand compost bin the most, though each of the compost bins have their fair share. Oddly enough, I rarely see them on the brown bin...

garden.jpg

Paul.

Last edited:
The springtail is superb Paul the water drops really make the shot

Back