24-70mm f/2.8L II - also built like rubbish?

There is even a law that describes how goods need to be fit for purpose for at least 2 years from the date of sale. If canon cannot meet that they shouldn't be selling junk in the first place.

Well instead of harping on about it why don't you put your mouth into action and try and apply the EU law with the company whom sold you the lens rather than moaning to us!

P.S - you do realise that nothing in life is ever perfect!!!!!

Fact of life - things break/fail/go faulty irrespective of cost

There is even a law that describes how goods need to be fit for purpose for at least 2 years from the date of sale. If canon cannot meet that they shouldn't be selling junk in the first place.
So how many of the items which Canon manufacture do you think should meet the quality control standards? 99%? 99.999%? 99.9999999%? And are you prepared to pay for that?

your lens should be covered under warranty sent it off to the service centres of your choice for repair.

although would recommned getting in touch with the service centres to make sure a) it is a warranty repair b) if they gonna coer postage c) get an inspection on what needs to be done to the lens before the work is carried out so you can reference the work schedule with other people on the net who had similar problems.

americans seem to have a much better and helpful community for this sort of things, probably explains why they started a law sue against Nikon when D600 had the oily shutter mech...

appreciate your frustration and also lack of constructive comments here..

Last edited:
For all I care it can weigh 2.5kg and over if it needs to be.
You are not the average consumer. It is not YOU Canon are building lenses for, it is the masses...

There is even a law that describes how goods need to be fit for purpose for at least 2 years from the date of sale.
If it is within spec. it is fit for purpose.

Incidentally Tamron makes as sharp lens that is also built like junk at half price
So sell the Canon and buy that. At least it won't have cost you so much. And good luck with waiting for Sigma to produce a zoom lens that is as sharp as a Zeiss prime. It will be along with the flying pigs in a little while.

P.S. This is entirely different to what canon told me personally. They said they use a device (collimator?) for calibration and judgement of sharpness.
A collimator works well for getting the centre point sharp. It is a single point device (especially with a complex lens that has multiple adjustment points) and its shortcomings will be one reason why Lens Rentals have invested a lot in their olaf system: http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2014/04/olafs-lens-art. Roger reckons he is the only place in the US that deals with lenses that has that level of analysis capabilities INCLUDING all the manufacturers. Until one of the repair centres have something like that, it will be pure guesswork to get it as good as YOU want it. The lens will be well within spec. before it gets anywhere close to optimal though, but you won't be happy with that.[

Last edited:
So how many of the items which Canon manufacture do you think should meet the quality control standards? 99%? 99.999%? 99.9999999%? And are you prepared to pay for that?
I'm sure they'll all meet Canon's quality control standards, it's just that Canon's quality control standards are different to daugirdas' quality control standards.

and also lack of constructive comments here..
I don't believe daugirdas will be satisfied with anything any of the service centres can do for him. I just don't believe they have the equipment to get the lens to within his specs.

Reactions: ST4

How many of your customers receive a good lens? 60%? 99%? 99.999%? 99.9999999%?

Why do you think Canon is somehow excused from consistently building good and reliable products? They should get a good legal lesson just like Nikon had in the USA.

I'm sure they'll all meet Canon's quality control standards, it's just that Canon's quality control standards are different to daugirdas' quality control standards.

Are you trying to suggest that a £1600 lens with excellent MTF figures doesn't have to resolve anything outside the center spot to be within 'Canon UK service' spec and we all have to accept this gospel? Do you not think that badly equipped service centre invented an excuse to fob off screwed over customers? I can smell b******t here.

I don't believe daugirdas will be satisfied with anything any of the service centres can do for him. I just don't believe they have the equipment to get the lens to within his specs.
Actually I think if he persist he might get an exchange from canon.

If I was in the same position I would probably go down the same route...

Are you trying to suggest that a £1600 lens with excellent MTF figures doesn't have to resolve anything outside the center spot .....

The MTF chart shows quite a steep fall off towards the corners for any fine detail at both the wide and telephoto ends. Is it fine detail that's giving you the problem or simply that the overall contrast declines markedly.

Bob

Are you trying to suggest that a £1600 lens with excellent MTF figures doesn't have to resolve anything outside the center spot to be within 'Canon UK service' spec and we all have to accept this gospel?
Define anything.....

Actually I think if he persist he might get an exchange from canon.

If I was in the same position I would probably go down the same route...
Goodwill is not that expensive. Whether the second will be to daugirdas' liking is pot luck really.....

How many of your customers receive a good lens? 60%? 99%? 99.999%? 99.9999999%?
Completely, totally, utterly irrelevant. I could choose to aim for 50% if I wished, or 10%, and people would be free to choose whether or not they want to pay for that level of quality.

I asked you what you think Canon should be doing, and you didn't answer the question.
Why do you think Canon is somehow excused from consistently building good and reliable products?
Define "consistently". Oh wait, I forgot, I did ask you and you decided to lash out at me instead of answering. Like that's going to help.

I wasn't sure which manufacture we were talking about from the title - I thought to myself, thats bound to be a Canon !

Sorry to here of your grief, hopefully you will get your money back or a replacement lens.

This thread reminds me of the speed trap on the M8 thread. It was fun watching daugirdas explode then too

This thread reminds me of the speed trap on the M8 thread. It was fun watching daugirdas explode then too

Still waiting for a love letter from the dibble :p :)

Completely, totally, utterly irrelevant. I could choose to aim for 50% if I wished, or 10%, and people would be free to choose whether or not they want to pay for that level of quality.

It is very relevant as you supply Canon lenses serviced by Canon Elstree who apparently can only calibrate the center spot. If you imply that less than 99% reliability is acceptable and / or expected this certainly has implications on your stock. I find lensrentals.com stance much more in line with the reality and if I were living there I wouldn't hesitate using them.

The MTF chart shows quite a steep fall off towards the corners for any fine detail at both the wide and telephoto ends. Is it fine detail that's giving you the problem or simply that the overall contrast declines markedly.

Bob

It has pretty much smeared right side, and it is slightly visible even at f/13 with a frame focused to infinity. Even the sunstars look a bit weird on that side. I know the MTF; I wouldn't call it steep fall off and from new it was certainly OK even wide open in the corners. That didn't last long though; I've had the first signs of trouble shooting wide open back in March (after hardly any use) and it got worse. I had to bin a landscape snapshot at f/8 because right side was unusable, about as bad as 17-40 wide open.

It has pretty much smeared right side, and it is slightly visible even at f/13 with a frame focused to infinity. Even the sunstars look a bit weird on that side. I know the MTF; I wouldn't call it steep fall off and from new it was certainly OK even wide open in the corners. That didn't last long though; I've had the first signs of trouble shooting wide open back in March (after hardly any use) and it got worse. I had to bin a landscape snapshot at f/8 because right side was unusable, about as bad as 17-40 wide open.

The fine line detail falls below 50% in the corners (wide open) but, I agree, it should be much better than the 17-40. I have both and I'd judge their performance as reflecting their prices quite well. (Incidentally, the 17-40 performs very well with IR converted bodies)

Bob

you supply Canon lenses serviced by Canon Elstree who apparently can only calibrate the center spot. If you imply that less than 99% reliability is acceptable and / or expected this certainly has implications on your stock.
Why do you feel the need to keep having a bash at my business instead of answering the question? If I made any claims regarding the quality or reliability of the kit I hire out, then I would make sure they were based in fact. Since I currently make no such claims, it's not relevant.

But back to the topic in hand, if you still care about that rather than just lashing out at all and sundry: On the basis of ONE lens here which appears to be faulty, you have apparently concluded that this type of lens suffers a design flaw and/or that Canon are not capable of "consistently" building reliable products. But you have repeatedly declined the invitation to clarify or quantify your claims. Maybe you might have over-reacted a bit? Or if you think your reaction is reasonable, then you would do yourself a service by explaining what level of quality and reliability you expect from Canon.

In which case, take some pictures that show it, gather those with some that show it performing perfectly on the same body/same aperture & shutter speed, talk to Canon and send it in. If it is as bad as you say, then it should be fairly easy to detect which lens element has slipped out of alignment and improve it - especially if you can show some photos from when it was good. I still don't think any repair centre has the means to properly align the lens (I could be wrong though) but at least they will know how to align it as best they can - if they can see the problem in the first place.

Get it fixed and sell it, if you are after a replacement try being a bit more pleasant to whoever you deal with than you are on here.

Before I retired my last job was a complaints manager for a multinational, trust me bad manners are not the way to get a result

Last edited:
Reactions: BBR
Get it fixed and sell it, if you are after a replacement try being a bit more pleasant to whoever you deal with than you are on here.

Before I retired my last job was a complaints manager for a multinational, trust me bad manners are not the way to get a result

I can bet there is 50% chance it will return as "within spec, no service needed" since the centre is still pretty much spot on. They've done it with my 1st mk1 the first time. I was very professional communicating to them and they didn't take me seriously until I got pretty angry (that was the 4th time in 2 months with the 1st mk1). Sometimes you can't just smile and pretend you want more stick up the back side.
I really don't fancy selling at all if I'm honest and then going through this again next year.

Male Menapause anyone

Thanks for sharing with us.

Yay! Kenny Everett was the dog's b*****ks!

Daugirdas, will you please for the love of God sell all of your Canon kit and move to Nikon. I've never known anyone complain about their equipment as much as you do.

And remember - it's the photographer that makes the photos, not the bloody camera!

The thing is WHAT is there to service in a lens? the optics are already ground and the only thing left that effects the image is the distance and alignment of the optics.What does soft mean? blurred ,not sharp what? :confused:

What does soft mean? blurred ,not sharp what? :confused:

Take something that's in sharp focus and defocus it slightly. You'll get a soft image. It's subjective though, different people have their own opinions of what is and isn't acceptably sharp.

I think Kenny was a bit calm, I tend to be more like this guy.

Lol, there seem to be fair bit of canon lovers. I wonder if I will get the same reception if I started a thread saying why is Nikon camera built like s*** :).

Lol, there seem to be fair bit of canon lovers. I wonder if I will get the same reception if I started a thread saying why is Nikon camera built like s*** :).
But that is never going to happen :)

Daugirdas, will you please for the love of God sell all of your Canon kit and move to Nikon. I've never known anyone complain about their equipment as much as you do.

And remember - it's the photographer that makes the photos, not the bloody camera!
Good God no!

I can`t put up with the moaning windbag slagging off another perfectly good system.

if a element shifts then it can basicaly look soft and odd no matter what.

of course no one has come close to the simple solution to the problem, Daigirdas, take the lens, line up the shot, then...................................

Let someone else fire the shutter

But that is never going to happen :)
There plenty things for Nikon too tho.

For the camera I have used the D7000 had major front/back focus issues and it wasn't consistent with different lens nor was it consistent between bodies which suggest QC issues.

The infamous D600 oil shutter mechanism. And plastic body (some would argue for a £1500 body it should have something better than hard plastic)

The D800 with the low pass filter in front of the sensor.

The D610 with its focus mechanism as well as the plastic body and the lack of weather seal.

Etc...Nikon isn't perfect either. Although they do make decent and robust lenses. Not sure I have heard of nikon 24-70 f2.8 focus creeping after a while. I thought the canon one has this problem because of the plastic tube construction. So maybe they do cut corners in the spirit of maximising profit and end up with some sub-par product.

Last edited:
Reactions: ST4
Sadly the OP's draconian belief that nothing should ever develop a fault if it is expensive means he could do a full circuit of all the main camera brands and never be happy!!!

£1.5k pro grade lens can't last 9 months of regular but careful use... Great. I hope they choke with their plastics. There is titanium, high strength aluminum, but he'll no they use some s***ty plastic.

I'm sorry, I was happy reading this ping pong match until I read this.

£1,600 lens made with aluminum and/or titanium. Possible, but it won't be the 24-70 referenced here. Manufacturers use high grade plastics for reasons, cost is one, but lightness and the ability to mould into any shape without expensive machining.

I believe there was a reference to engineering made here also.

Back