Got my canvas and......

Bit disappointed I must say.

1. No coating
2. Pictures has been framed slightly off centre
3. Patch on the picture has missed out some printing, so just shows up as white
4. Don't like the folds on the corners
5. Seems a little 'loose'
6. Also added the extra space to the edges and it's still went over the edge

Thanks for the heads up... I never got round to choosing a image to use but might still place an order and see what happens...

Got my canvas and......

Bit disappointed I must say.

1. No coating
2. Pictures has been framed slightly off centre
3. Patch on the picture has missed out some printing, so just shows up as white
4. Don't like the folds on the corners
5. Seems a little 'loose'
6. Also added the extra space to the edges and it's still went over the edge

Sorry to hear that - a bit odd that everyone else seems to be very happy, so it looks like you've been very unlucky.

No, they're not laminated, but would you expect them to be for £20?

Not sure what you mean by No 3 in your list?

The folds - I wasn't expecting them either, but they're impossible to see once hanging on the wall.

My first one was a total loss - hadn't left enough space around the edges - just adding what they recommend from the edge of your subject isn't nearly enough; you need at least double that; this also allows for slightly off centre mounting.

Sorry to hear that - a bit odd that everyone else seems to be very happy, so it looks like you've been very unlucky.

No, they're not laminated, but would you expect them to be for £20?

Not sure what you mean by No 3 in your list?

The folds - I wasn't expecting them either, but they're impossible to see once hanging on the wall.

My first one was a total loss - hadn't left enough space around the edges - just adding what they recommend from the edge of your subject isn't nearly enough; you need at least double that; this also allows for slightly off centre mounting.

number 3 I must edit....just check the image and for some reason a patch of colour was missing on the upload....very strange.

tbh I dont know what I was expecting....personally for me, they are 'ok' , but if I am offering these to customers I would not do it, I would rather go back to my higher prices with a different company etc.

Although, its good to be able to offer clients the option, show them the snap mad one, and my other higher priced style and let them have the option.

So I suppose there is a good out come :)....

Darn, how much did you add? I did the 3cm they suggested.
Got the email saying it was despatched, yesterday.

I added the suggested size and the edge of the frame was probably still halfway down the side of the frame.

They say add 35mm all the way around, I'd say add twice that to be safe unless your subject is well in from the edges.... probably add the 35mm they say, and then make sure your subject edges are at least the same again in from that - 70mm total from edge to edge of nearest subject line.

Mine arrived yesterday, first time I've had a canvas printed so nothing to compare it to but I'm very pleased with it for £20...definately be ordering m0re when i get suitable shots.

glad to hear you are happy Chris, I was wondering what you though of your new purchase.
Dave

Well, for £20 it's OK. But I do agree that the stapled, folded corners look fairly horrid. Now all I have to do is find a bare bit of wall where it'll look OK.

Mine arrived today :)

If I hadn't have seen this thread, I wouldn't have know of the 'failings' of this canvas.
The corners could have been done nicer, the fabric could have been pulled tighter, and it could have been varnished.

However, there is nothing that quite compares to having your first big photo, done to 20"x18" which you can put on the wall. With nothing else to compare it to, the finish has come out really quite nice.
I wouldn't have spent out £90 (looked in a shop saying they were the cheapest around), just to see what my image looks like big. But for £20, it really is 'nice enough for me'
I'll put a couple of shots up later, for people to judge for themselves on the corners.

Thx for the heads-up :eek:)

Just stumbled across this thread. Never ordered a canvas before due to the huge cost but this has caught my attention.

Here is the image as uploaded to snapmad (actually re-downloaded). I sent it as per the dimensions in this thread, and checked that 3cm from each side, wouldn't crop anything important.

Image of final item, reasonably well placed I think.

My photo shows it redder than it really is. However, the white in the clouds, did come out a little grey in comparison with the original.
Corner close-up

Mounting bracket thingy (not worked out how it goes on yet).

Thanks for putting some images up, I must confess to being tempted.

Thanks for putting some images up, I must confess to being tempted.

to be honest, for the price, its worth it to get one of your nice pictures done that would normally cost a bomb.

if its for a client, I would say its a no.

Well I've had 4 of these done now - for £80 which is probably about what one would cost normally. :)

I am very happy with the quality - the corners are slightly ugly I suppose but it doesn't really notice once up on a wall. They have all come out a teensy bit darker than I would like, but I don't have a calibrated monitor and often seem to have this problem.

Here's a pic of the 4. Bear in mind the lighting is bad in my house so these were taken at 1.7/ISO 800 (which is a little grainy on my camera) - I think only the front one is properly in focus.

P1200779.jpg

Last edited:
Graham - very nice indeed. As Robbo said, probably not suitable for a client, but for purely personal use on a budget, perfect.... (y)

If these are falling a little short of the quality suited to a client can anyone recommend a canvas supplier who will do a great job on an 18x12 for £40 tops?

I've been asked if I will offer to shoot a pet portrait for a fund raising auction, which I'm happy to do, with the expenses coming out of my own pocket. So while I want to keep the price to a sensible figure (under £40) I don't want the winning bidder to feel cheated or disappointed. They might well be paying £50 or £100 for the print. This £20 deal sounds great in terms of value, but if the product quality is not there I'd really prefer to aim a little higher. Having never bought a canvas before I'm not sure who would be best for that sort of size and price.

p.s. if the bidding only goes up to £10 or £20 then I think one of these canvases will be perfect. I'm hoping the bids will be a lot more. :)

Last edited:
We charge £45 for a 16x12" canvas print which includes delivery. You would have to go to my profile to find out more as I'm not allowed to mention the business name :rules:

Thanks, Derek. Price is right in the ballpark. If the quality is there that will do nicely. Off to do some more research. Thanks.

EDIT : Cheers, Nookie. Will take a look.

We charge £45 for a 16x12" canvas print which includes delivery. You would have to go to my profile to find out more as I'm not allowed to mention the business name :rules:

Why can't you mention your name?

Surely it's the same everyone advertising their own website in the sigy?

I guess I could put it in the siggy, though it doesn't seem to show up much these days :thinking:

I'm really pleased with mine, an absolute bargain - brilliant for friends & family (I'd have one in my house) but I wouldn't use it for clients - you get what you pay for and the comments made by others are pretty accurate

Some hastily taken (and not that good) photos for comparison.

Snapmad
IMG_3987.jpg

One Vision
IMG_3993.jpg

Snapmad - just canvas behind
IMG_3989.jpg

One Vision
IMG_3994.jpg

Hope that helps!

Try Catch In Colour, they have stretching wedges in the back the corners are neatly wrapped and the rear is finished with brown tape. You can have coatings and finer grades of canvas.

I have probably supplied about 30 canvas wraps to clients over the past few years, only ever had one client unhappy as she thought the texture was too grainy!!! What is that saying about the customer is always right? (I have it as part of my product portfolio) Catch in colour did a replacement on a finer grade of canvas for no extra cost to me.

Trade prices are very good, not sure on public prices, but I think they are very reasonable.

Snapmad, £19:99, includes postage, well pleased, small pin into wall at a downward angle, hung no probs, great service, well packaged, used them twice and will again, make sure there is room on the print for the wrap on the edges,
Jim

This has been an interesting thread to date, and thank you to everyone who has shared their experiences of these canvasses.

One question that springs to mind though - would a client know how a canvas is 'supposed' to be finished at the back (ie would they think it was of poor quality or not really know any better)? :shrug:

One question that springs to mind though - would a client know how a canvas is 'supposed' to be finished at the back (ie would they think it was of poor quality or not really know any better)? :shrug:

Guys... just buy a roll of framing tape like THIS (check the width first) and you can improve the finish yourself. (y)

That looks handy, can you get them in black and white to match the image?

That looks handy, can you get them in black and white to match the image?

If you mean the tape then no, only brown... but it's at the back where nobody sees it, just gives it a more 'professional' finished look.

Oh, I see - I thought it was to edge black, but thinking about it more that wouldn't look too good!

I just got mine today, It's ok for £20 but can anyone tell me if the colours are off? I will post a photo of mine but I this is the photo I got on canvas and they are not the same! Which I'm not really happy with.

ME, KELLY AND BABY by brendanwest, on Flickr

Canvas

DSCF4049 by brendanwest, on Flickr

Sorry about the bad pic lol but as you can see you can't see my partners jeans on the canvas and its abit off centre.

Canvas.... B&W can be a real challenge for it. You don't get the same tonal graduation as you do in print; probably nowhere near it, and B&W is mostly about tones and contrast. I find that once you get nearer the darker/black tones that's when canvas printing really struggles, and your own canvas has just proved that, although I do think they could have done better with the light/white tones in your image.

Canvas.... B&W can be a real challenge for it. You don't get the same tonal graduation as you do in print; probably nowhere near it, and B&W is mostly about tones and contrast. I find that once you get nearer the darker/black tones that's when canvas printing really struggles, and your own canvas has just proved that, although I do think they could have done better with the light/white tones in your image.
Hi thanks for the reply :) I don't mind he white/light tones, so you think if I got it printed on A3 it should come out abit better?

Why don't you send it to DSCL and get a small-ish print of it first? In fact, their 12" x 18" prints are only £1.10, but you have to add around £4 postage onto that - A3 is also an option with them. You'll have to decide if you want to let them correct it for you, or if you already have a calibrated monitor and use their colour profile to let them print it 'as sent.'

I suppose since you're paying the postage anyway you could order two and let them correct one for you, and leave the other as is, the result of this would also help you a lot with any future orders..... just an idea.

Last edited:
Why don't you send it to DSCL and get a small-ish print of it first? In fact, their 12" x 18" prints are only £1.10, but you have to add around £4 postage onto that - A3 is also an option with them. You'll have to decide if you want to let them correct it for you, or if you already have a calibrated monitor and use their colour profile to let them print it 'as sent.'

I suppose since you're paying the postage anyway you could order two and let them correct one for you, and leave the other as is, the result of this would also help you a lot with any future orders..... just an idea.
Thanks good idea :)

Just received my first ever canvas print, very pleased considering the cost and quick turnaround. I would use them again.

Back