weekly 52 in 2013: Brian of Bozeat : COMPLETE

Melt - Bastard, I'm hungry now!
#2 for me, a nice image from a mundane subject. Good colours and textures, you can feel the heat almost.

Left is a great spot, and it works as an image. Nice comp and colours.

Hi Brian

Bit of catch up

Live - cracking shot. Good comp with the leading diags, the tree RHS adding a stop and the receding perspective. Lovely treatment of colour - altho as a semi - Luddite i thought aviary was a big bird cage

Reflection - just great . Very original and well handled.

Melt - I think that the top image is sufficient. Good strong colour, the feeling that the plate is melting too by its curves and a real conveyance of the heat of the grill.

Left - good spot and interpretation. Good angle and cpture of the moss, colours of the grass and the stone. My interpretation would be that the crosses had been taken down for the H&S issues that some Cemeteries have. And recently too I would guess because the horizontal elements have an abundance of moss whereas the crosses are generally free of it which may be because they were vertical until relatively recently

Melt - Bastard, I'm hungry now!
#2 for me, a nice image from a mundane subject. Good colours and textures, you can feel the heat almost.

Left is a great spot, and it works as an image. Nice comp and colours.

Thanks Nick. Hope you got some food! :)

Hi Brian

Bit of catch up

Live - cracking shot. Good comp with the leading diags, the tree RHS adding a stop and the receding perspective. Lovely treatment of colour - altho as a semi - Luddite i thought aviary was a big bird cage

Reflection - just great . Very original and well handled.

Melt - I think that the top image is sufficient. Good strong colour, the feeling that the plate is melting too by its curves and a real conveyance of the heat of the grill.

Left - good spot and interpretation. Good angle and cpture of the moss, colours of the grass and the stone. My interpretation would be that the crosses had been taken down for the H&S issues that some Cemeteries have. And recently too I would guess because the horizontal elements have an abundance of moss whereas the crosses are generally free of it which may be because they were vertical until relatively recently

Thanks Alan, I appreciate your comments :)

Hi ya Brian

Left.....interesting find , love the vibrance of the moss & the placement of the crosses...wondering if a lower pov would have been possible ?

week 45: food.

week 45 - Food.jpg by Brian of Bozeat, on Flickr

Meh, not feeling it this week. I'm not thrilled with this attempt from earlier in the week, I wanted to shoot something better to replace it but life got in the way so it's a just place holder for a re-shoot.

Please just move on without comment, thanks :(

Last edited:
Liking 'Left' matey - works well from the POV you've shot it and the lighting is spot on as well (y)

Food... makes me crave a Bacon buttie but not sure its working as a shot for me... sorry :)

Hi, missed a few :nono:

Melt #2 for me. Nice detail and colours. Looks a litle dark to me?

Left, like it. Nice an sombre. Well composed and the slight vignette works well.

Cheers.

Nutter.

:)

Good show here. The processing on the banana is great, no sign of any extraneous stuff. Good expression.

I'd prefer if the BG was a little darker and you popped a bit more. I'm sure OCF would sort this out.

Nice one.

Cheers.

Good concept Brian, another 'selfie' ;)
As Andy mentioned, a darker background would make it 'pop' more. If not that, I would prefer the reflection of the light in the window behind you was cloned out, I feel it draws my eye a little.

Other than that, good work on the set up and execution of this (y)

Thanks fella's. Fair comments. I might have a look at darkening the BG tomorrow. And that light reflection is a gonner! :)

Hi Brian :wave:

Food....I love it just as is....cracking pp ,fab idea ...can't crit as couldn't do it (y)

Art.....good idea but just not quite working for me.....too central & that plate's one that looks like it's on the squiff but the eye's look level :cautious: Maybe crop it in half so the face starts at the edge of the image...or maybe not :coat:

Food is good. I love the sharp banana, and then the falloff of focus, as if it was taken conventionally, that's a really nice touch (was the focus on the fingers?). I don't mind the background, or the fact that you are a little dull (IYSWIM) it gives it context and sets the ordinary against the magical. Clever stuff.

I can't help comparing Art to your still life shot in your avatar, and it doesn't do the same for me. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not my favourite.

Whimsical is indeed whimsical, in a WTF way. Love the DOF, and the idea, but I can't figure out why the photographer wouldn't want the Taj Mahal in shot?:D

Food is good. I love the sharp banana, and then the falloff of focus, as if it was taken conventionally, that's a really nice touch (was the focus on the fingers?). I don't mind the background, or the fact that you are a little dull (IYSWIM) it gives it context and sets the ordinary against the magical. Clever stuff.

I can't help comparing Art to your still life shot in your avatar, and it doesn't do the same for me. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not my favourite.

Whimsical is indeed whimsical, in a WTF way. Love the DOF, and the idea, but I can't figure out why the photographer wouldn't want the Taj Mahal in shot?:D

Thanks Nick, I purposely focussed on the banana with a shallow dof & kept the settings the same for the shot with me in it and deliberately reached forward to create the drop off of light and focus down my arms. My intention was to force the viewer to look at my hands and the banana.

Fair comment about the fruit face thing. They are in a similar genre I suppose, it never crossed my mind!

I looked a right twit laying on the ground at the the Taj Mahal with my lego figures. ;)

Hi Brian

Food i like the concept and the main important bits of the pic are excellent :clap: but as already pointed out the BG is a bit
prominent
Art is doing nothing for me I sort of admire its childlike simplicity but it is a little too childlike
Whimsical (reshoot) I remember a few months ago you saying you didn't get the lego pic thing what happened there :thinking:

Art, on theme but unfortunately it has to compete with your avatar and it's not up to that standard. That aside, it is a nice clean, well lit (with the beard :)) and I like the eye lids.

Whimsical, good humerous submission.

Cheers.

Like the food, the banana is nice and clear but I think it's your eyes that make it for me ;)

As others have said Art has to compete with your avatar.

Whimsical is great (y)

Hi Brian :wave:

Food....I love it just as is....cracking pp ,fab idea ...can't crit as couldn't do it (y)

Art.....good idea but just not quite working for me.....too central & that plate's one that looks like it's on the squiff but the eye's look level :cautious: Maybe crop it in half so the face starts at the edge of the image...or maybe not :coat:

Thanks for commenting. :)

Hi Brian

Food i like the concept and the main important bits of the pic are excellent :clap: but as already pointed out the BG is a bit
prominent
Art is doing nothing for me I sort of admire its childlike simplicity but it is a little too childlike
Whimsical (reshoot) I remember a few months ago you saying you didn't get the lego pic thing what happened there :thinking:

Thanks, Dunno what happened, I don't remember saying that... Anyway I bought some little lego people and had a little play.

Like the food, the banana is nice and clear but I think it's your eyes that make it for me ;)

As others have said Art has to compete with your avatar.

Whimsical is great (y)

Thanks. It wouldn't work without the eyes, if you don't stare hard enough the banana stays on the chopping board!

Here you go Brian

"Lego, I do not understand the lego phenomena. :shrug: I know lots of people do it, but it's not for me. Someone more educated in the ways of the modern world would appreciate it I'm sure". :D

You said it

Here you go Brian

"Lego, I do not understand the lego phenomena. :shrug: I know lots of people do it, but it's not for me. Someone more educated in the ways of the modern world would appreciate it I'm sure". :D

You said it

You have a good memory Alan! Can't find your lego pic anymore btw...

but there you go - What could be more whimsical? :D

Serious answer:
I am following a friends 365 were she often uses plastic figures (not lego) in a scene and tells a short story like a page from a book, I wanted to try to tell the story without words, I found it quite hard. It seems to be the "eye contact" and the "body language" that makes them look like they are interacting. Perhaps that's where the challenge is that makes people want to do lots of this? Perhaps I am starting to "get it"?

Hi Brian,
Art, quite creative, I can see a bit of thought has gone into it.
I feel it needs a few tweaks to really nail it. I would go for a closer crop, possibly square to have the face really fill the frame.
I also feel the shadows a little distracting, not sure how you lit this, my guess is flash above the plate and towards the top? I think a reflector to reduce the shadows underneath the face would help.
As I do a lot of still life as is evident in my 52 this year and create my own props, I tend to suffer from, I don't know how I can put it :thinking: artistic blindness. What I am trying to say that mine isn't what you'd call award winning photography, far from it and I get caught up in what I've created. The photography isn't difficult, in fact its the subject just getting in the way of the camera.

i think your submission for art needs a little something else to uplift it from a straight record shot IYSWIM? All IMHO of course, please feel free to ignore.

Whimsical, on theme (y) I'd remove the figure in blue on the left he looks out of place in the scene but apart from that good work (y)

Hi Brian,
Art, quite creative, I can see a bit of thought has gone into it.
I feel it needs a few tweaks to really nail it. I would go for a closer crop, possibly square to have the face really fill the frame.
I also feel the shadows a little distracting, not sure how you lit this, my guess is flash above the plate and towards the top? I think a reflector to reduce the shadows underneath the face would help.
As I do a lot of still life as is evident in my 52 this year and create my own props, I tend to suffer from, I don't know how I can put it :thinking: artistic blindness. What I am trying to say that mine isn't what you'd call award winning photography, far from it and I get caught up in what I've created. The photography isn't difficult, in fact its the subject just getting in the way of the camera.

i think your submission for art needs a little something else to uplift it from a straight record shot IYSWIM? All IMHO of course, please feel free to ignore.

Whimsical, on theme (y) I'd remove the figure in blue on the left he looks out of place in the scene but apart from that good work (y)

Thanks Iain. Your comments are always very helpful and welcome. Being a "face" I found that it only really worked with "overhead" lighting, It's natural light btw (the plate was on the floor near a window) I see your point about the shadows, I tried fill flash but i couldn't get the balance right, so you are right, a reflector would have been better. I also tried a square crop but somehow that over emphasised the lack of symetry in the fruit peices, perhaps off center would have been better, I never thought to try that!

:eek:, easy to slip behind......

I actually liked the bacon shot - thought it was more than up to the standard, esp with the rising steam you caught in the bottom corner..

And the magic banana works well too, it's one on my list that I've still yet to do, nice new twist on it though..

The Lego men work well, just the people themselves seem a bit random, I suppose you've used what you got. The lady looks like a bride, but with blue trousers, and the groom with a red crowbar? So i suppose its therefore pretty whimsical.

And the fruit face could well be art - how would I know?? possibly a bit simple, and lacking some depth after the last effort.

Nearly at the end. (y)

the hand of friendship..like the idea.. although I can well imagine it being withdrawn at the last moment in favour of a thumb to the nose and waggled fingers (assuming it's your hand Brian) :LOL:

couple of things... first being the "scribbling" around the index and middle finger, then the lighter part under the little finger, and then the shadow triangle at the bottom of the wrist..

First 2 look like PP quick touchups gone bad, third is a natural shadow, so while distracting, I could live with that one.

Good detail and light though, catching all the wrinkles and lines well! :exit:

the hand of friendship..like the idea.. although I can well imagine it being withdrawn at the last moment in favour of a thumb to the nose and waggled fingers (assuming it's your hand Brian) :LOL:

couple of things... first being the "scribbling" around the index and middle finger, then the lighter part under the little finger, and then the shadow triangle at the bottom of the wrist..

First 2 look like PP quick touchups gone bad, third is a natural shadow, so while distracting, I could live with that one.

Good detail and light though, catching all the wrinkles and lines well! :exit:

Thanks for the feedback Graham, the "touch ups" were not visible on my home monitor (calibrated), here at work (uncalibrated) I see them clearly. I will have a retouch later and use the black blinkies to make sure everything is as it should be. [I've done this now]

The lines and wrinkles were an important to me while I was making the image. Hence the side lighting to pick them out. No need to run , we're still friends :D

Last edited:
much better!

Sometimes a fully black BG doesn't work, I think generally if the object is sitting on something, but when it's clearly in mid-air it works.

Hi Brian
Food - very good shot of banana with detail and colour but I find the kitchen b/g very distracting. The shot seems to be based on the 'magic' of making the sliced banana rise by the power of the hands and the b/g is mundane.
Art- good colours and has immediate impact. A smiley, happy pic.
Whimsical - spot on theme for me (y) but I agree with others that the surly looking blue figure is out of context and the crowbar puzzles me :thinking:
Friendship - lots of detail and good lighting of the hand to highlight the texture and patterns. But the wrist is a bit dark - I think that I would crop out a bit more.

much better!

Sometimes a fully black BG doesn't work, I think generally if the object is sitting on something, but when it's clearly in mid-air it works.

Thanks. That's an interesting thought, I think I agree. I did a shot a couple of weeks back where I lit a flower in a minimalist vase and I remember that it only worked when I lit part of the table it was sat on, I suppose you expect to see a hand in mid air, but not a vase!

Hi Brian,

The hand of friendship fits the bill. The hand is well lit with a nice black bg. The big shadow on the wrist is slightly distracting.

Thanks, You would be surprised how odd it looks with the wrist/arm brightened up!

Hi Brian
Food - very good shot of banana with detail and colour but I find the kitchen b/g very distracting. The shot seems to be based on the 'magic' of making the sliced banana rise by the power of the hands and the b/g is mundane.
Art- good colours and has immediate impact. A smiley, happy pic.
Whimsical - spot on theme for me (y) but I agree with others that the surly looking blue figure is out of context and the crowbar puzzles me :thinking:
Friendship - lots of detail and good lighting of the hand to highlight the texture and patterns. But the wrist is a bit dark - I think that I would crop out a bit more.

Thanks for commenting:

I'm such a wizard in the kitchen. :LOL:

The whimsical shot has an easter egg in it, or at least I thought it did! Seeing as no one got the joke it clearly failed! :rolleyes:

Back