Week 47 - Friendship
Week 48 - Sleek
Week 49 - Colour
Week 50 - Fantasy
Week 51 - Fit
Week 52 - Water

DSC_7735_edited-2_zps2c9b66dd.jpg

Last edited:
This is going to be a steep learning curve for me.

Already struggled week 1 with 35mm f1.8 lens with depth of field. I opened up the aperture to throw the background out but it also served to make the cigarette end out of focus in front of the drinks can. I focused on the can!

This is going to be a steep learning curve for me.

Already struggled week 1 with 35mm f1.8 lens with depth of field. I opened up the aperture to throw the background out but it also served to make the cigarette end out of focus in front of the drinks can. I focused on the can!

It's a great lens to be working with!

Not so sure on your second "season" photo - don't know if it perhaps lacks a specific subject or something. Really like the first one, though. Looks like you shot it sunrise/set sort of time? A nice golden tone to the trees, either way. Maybe a shame that light doesn't reach all the way down the trunk, but a great image nonetheless!

Hi, Carling, yeah that's a Sin :D

Nice focus and neutral BG. Smoke from the cigarette would be good.

Season, #2 for me. Well composed and whites look good. Good DOF and detail. No real crit from me, perhaps get a bit closer to the water. Seems to be a small 'waterfall near the bottom of the river. Long exposure, maybe.

Good start.

Thanks for the advice guys. Its much appreciated. For the last 18 months all ive really done is point my camera at non league football for fun.

As soon as i went out his morning to capture something different ie the "season" i realized how much i have to learn. As i mentioned previously i also really struggled getting used to the wide aperture on my 35mm. Never really had the need to use it before!

What i wanted to achieve with the "Sin" was ideally a black background but........... i don't have a black background or off camera flash.

So, tomorrow i'm off to Hobby Craft to see what i can find!

Thanks,

Alan

Thanks for the advice guys. Its much appreciated. For the last 18 months all ive really done is point my camera at non league football for fun.

As soon as i went out his morning to capture something different ie the "season" i realized how much i have to learn. As i mentioned previously i also really struggled getting used to the wide aperture on my 35mm. Never really had the need to use it before!

What i wanted to achieve with the "Sin" was ideally a black background but........... i don't have a black background or off camera flash.

So, tomorrow i'm off to Hobby Craft to see what i can find!

Thanks,

Alan

Hobby Craft, never thought I'd say this, but it's one of my places for tog props.

You can get a half decent OCF on eBay for £30ish quid.

Cheers.

I love the colour on the tree trunk in season 1, not sure about the composition of 2, the angular building/bridge distract me, but not sure how else you could have framed it to get the best bits of the river/tree contrast in?!

Sin - nice and sharp and good depth of field, maybe a bit tilted or could be because you took it from an angle

Season, the second shot does not do much for me, like the thistles at the bottom but the bland sky dominates it a bit much. I do like your wintery waterfall/stream shot, lots to look at and good detail in the snow

Week 3 - Gravity

Complete with spillage :)

Still can't get that black background effect i want to achieve.. despite my purchase from Hobby Craft :)

DSC_7812upload_zps1273263d.jpg

Looks like when i put the unit in the garage i didn't put it up square..... unless gravity is a bit wonky!!!!!!

Black background - don't shine the light on the background and have some distance between BG and subject and after that post processsing helps but if you did that you would lose the interesting shadows.

Changing heading - edit first post and then click on the Advanced button (think it is near the bottom of the edit bit) to change heading

Love your shots. Your first season shot is the best, it just appeals more to my eye. Not really experienced enough to give much feedback as I am on a steep learning curve at the moment. Your week 3 shot for gravity is very good, could almost have used it for sin as well. Drops look sharp to me. Well done:clap:

Hi, on theme and some nice detail in the drops. Bit closer for me. The fluid to the right on the surface distracts a tad as does to shadows. You need to get off camera flash and position it to the side so no light falls on the BG.

Cheers.

Thanks all, looks like i need to get a grip with understanding off camera flash (have no idea at the moment) and move my background back a bit.

Thread title changed, thanks Christine

and to Mandy, i think i'm with you on that steep hill :)

Nice start to the 52 challenge,

To get the background darker you could try reducing the flash or moving the BG further away from the subject.

plenty of good advice here about the flash you can always straighten a pic after in PP I don't know what program you use but its a basic enough function otherwise you have caught the drops well :clap:

First time visit to your thread here Alan, apologies for that.

You are off to a good start with the 52.

Sin, bang on theme well let and exposed, just a tad too central but apart from that (y)

#1 for season gets my vote, it has a better composition of the two IMHO. The river leads the viewers eye into the scene nicely.

Gravity, again bang on theme.
Alignment is an easy fix in pp. Its been mentioned about how to achieve black backgrounds ie ocf and distance between subject and background but hey we are all here to learn aren't we? As they say, everyday is a school day :D
Keep up the good work, (y) Iain

Alan, good stuff; I definitely like the first of the season pics, although the obtruding fence is a bit distracting (sorry if this has been said; deliberately trying not to read the other crits). And well done on the gravity shot, bang on theme, and makes me just a bit thirsty!

Hi ya

Season....#2 for me...extra interest & a lovely wintery scene :)

Sin.....think all's been mentioned

Gravity...playing tricks on my eye's...the drips seem vertical but the glass is on the squiff :thinking: I've learnt some stuff from reading others comments on how to get nice black BG's...result (y)

Google strobist 101 if you want to learn about lighting ratios to get the BG how you want (says the guy who messed this up this week :LOL:)

Personally I really like the shadows in your shot, and the good detail in the liquid but I don't like the spillage and the off vertical angle.

Drops and focus are really good, like the reflection but I also think the spillage detracts it slightly. Well in theme and well caught.

Week 4 - Wild

I took this whilst the better half was shopping in Sainsbury's. When i got back home and logged onto TP i saw the theme of "wild".

As i liked the colours,textures and reflections ..... (and there was a bird which i assume to be wild) i thought this would be my wild submission.

DSC_7865-1_edited-1_zps0e2c2be6.jpg

Last edited:
I like it nice colour, could do with being a bit closer (its a Coot by the way) its a little lost in the frame.

So you took the photograph before seeing the post :nono: :D

I guess it is a wild bird. Bit it's a bit small in the frame. Any chance of a crop so the bird is more prominent?

Cheers.

Would have liked it a bit tighter in on the subject but that's just my opinion. Love the texture in the ice and the reflection.

Thanks for your comments. I do agree with you all.

From my part i liked the colours up top and the bird (or coot as ive learned :)) just added a bit of passing interest as it was unusually standing on the ice.

I agree the bird is lost in the frame and that is a lesson for me to take forward.

I agree with what you say completely Alan, I'd have been tempted to crop a bit closer to the coot but then you do lose the lovely colours up top, bit of a dilemma but a very nice shot :)

Hi Alan. Good light and great reflection perhaps a little cropping from the left or a zoom in put more emphasis on the bird but well in theme and a good job!

Duh! I just scrolled to next page and saw this one above! Its spot on subject and I would imagine a difficult shot to capture. Fine shot!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Alan

why appaled with your image for Wild ? Coots are wild , exposure looks fine , good focus on the Coot & great detail in the ice...works for me :) Maybe a slightly closer crop ?

2nd image for wild.... on theme again but the focus seems a little off ( could be my screen though ?)

Back