5D v 7D

Name
pretty obvious really.
Edit My Images
Yes
as a second body to compliment my 1D mkiii I'm considering either a 7D mki or 5d mki. pros and cons, 7D more reach. 5d full frame and wider angle for people shots, 7d crop sensor for more reach,5D full frame image quality. help!!!thinking about 1D with 120-300 f2.8 siggy and 5d with 24-105 f4l but then theres 1d with 24-105 and 7d with 120-300 for more reach. I have to mention I also have a Canon 1.4x convertor and a Sigma 2x convertor.. confused ..

I'd personally take a 5D as find it's IQ far superior to that of the 7D. However, the handling, speed, AF, screen, weather-sealing, interface and most other aspects of the 7D are more modern/better.

Another vote for the 7D. I have owned both and it really is a no brainer. IMO the 7D is just as good as the 5D in IQ terms and a much more advanced camera in all other respects. I wished I had kept the 7D as a back up camera. Having gone totally FF I occasionally miss the extended reach provided by lens on a cropped body.

I had a 7D many years ago and couldn't stand the noise, I did and would again take a 60D over the 7D.

Also many years ago I had the 7D classic and found it a very acceptable camera and it was my first full frame, if somewhat basic.

What you need to let us know is your general preference of subject - if its birds in flight avoid the 5D like the plague, it its portraits go for the 5D, also an idea of budget would help - I'm guessing around £500.

Two very different cameras, I have owned both and still have the 5D. Lot depends on what you want it for, but purely on image quality I would have to say the 5D is best

what I want it for. I shoot a lot of motorsport particularly British Superbikes but as well as the racing I shoot people going about their business and find these shots very popular. Two prime examples of why I am considering another body. Last weekend at Brands I was shooting through the fence at the bottom of pit lane with the 120-300 and 1.4x convertor then walking back down through the pits I could have done with the 24-105 which meant taking off the rucksack and changing lenses. second example. after the racing was finished I set up across from the podium with the 120-300 for some shots of the trophy presentation and the winner (Josh Brookes) came down the start finish straight, jumped off his bike,ran over to the fence where I was and climbed up it. My 120-300 was too much for this and all I got was a head and shoulders shot that could have been anywhere.I,m also thinking with the 7D I could have managed without the 1.4x for a lot of shots and also used the 1.4x instead of the 2x in places.my budget is flexible but probably around £400-£500 mark. Fortunately theres no rush now as the seasons over till next April so I've plenty of time to decide. Its also possible that if i wait till next spring a 7D mkii might fall into my price range,who knows.

Damn, thats a hard one - you need wide and long... hmn, I do see how two bodies could be very handy and to top if off he was moving at speed, so that could rule out the 5D as AF isn't its strong point.

All in all you might be better off with a good full frame, as you can always crop but cannot go wider - I could suggest the 5D3 (as you're on Canon - 750D if Nikon), but thats waaaaay over budget - I'm a little out of touch Canon and I don't think they have the D750 sweet spot

Well, I know I wasn't keen on the 7D, but theres one in classifieds for £300! Now at that price and with all the other features (and good noise reduction software) thats pretty hard to beat!

I would pick the 7d for the much more competent focusing system. Much better than the 5d mki and mkii.

Two prime examples of why I am considering another body. Last weekend at Brands I was shooting through the fence at the bottom of pit lane with the 120-300 and 1.4x convertor then walking back down through the pits I could have done with the 24-105 which meant taking off the rucksack and changing lenses. second example. after the racing was finished I set up across from the podium with the 120-300 for some shots of the trophy presentation and the winner (Josh Brookes) came down the start finish straight, jumped off his bike,ran over to the fence where I was and climbed up it. My 120-300 was too much for this and all I got was a head and shoulders shot that could have been anywhere

From this example, it sounds like you could have done with a wider view point - then the 5D would suit best and give you the option that I think you're after ...

all of your lens' are compatible with the 5d so that would be my suggestion, could you stretch to a mkii though? I would suggest saving up until you can afford the newer tech which will last longer. or wait for the 7d mkii falls into your price range and then use the mkiii for your secondary wide

For £500 you're not far off what you need for a second hand 5dmkii, owning a 5dmki it's a good camera but if you can get the mkii I'd go for that.

Sounds like you've got all the reach you need so the extra zoom a crop offers isn't really needed, I know I'd want to be shooting in FF for both but that's only an opinion.

Back