70-200 f2.8 portraiture showcase thread

Well if we're allowed to show ones shot on a Nikon too then :D

Natural light 170mm f2.8 - quick preset re skin (she didn't need much) and a slight crop, so close to straight out of camera; the warm tone is merely a red brick wall, and the gradient background is water with a brick bridge. Seen full size (which is awesome btw :)) you can clearly see the closer eye (her right) is sharper than the other, that's just how little DoF you get with these lenses shot wide open and up close :eek:

Gotta love em though :love:

Dave

Barnsley_Wedding_Photographer-019_web.jpg

DG Phototraining said:
Well if we're allowed to show ones shot on a Nikon too then :D

Natural light 170mm f2.8 - quick preset re skin (she didn't need much) and a slight crop, so close to straight out of camera; the warm tone is merely a red brick wall, and the gradient background is water with a brick bridge. Seen full size (which is awesome btw :)) you can clearly see the closer eye (her right) is sharper than the other, that's just how little DoF you get with these lenses shot wide open and up close :eek:

Gotta love em though :love:

Dave

Mate its clear you have no idea what you're doing ;-)

Paul_Westhead said:
I have to agree, the light bouncing off of the left hand wall, other than that it's not to bad if a little odd.

Agree also. That bright spot on the wall is really distracting. Also, what is she doing with her right foot? Makes it look awkward. I like the idea for the shot, the execution is lacking slightly unfortunately.

Well if we are expanding to anything 70-200, then a variety of Nikon versions to show what a flexible lens it really is.

Street - a random taken on a TP meet

Shooting beauty by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Sport - some cricket

EngvWI018 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Weddings - this one is from a shoot, not a real wedding, but it is always on one body while working

bride walking through cloisters by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

Pets at rest

Mayhew Animal Rescue Dog by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

...and on the go

70-200test-9 by Yvonne White - WhiteGoldImages, on Flickr

These are just a selection I grabbed quickly from flickr stream so nothing stunning, but do show it is definitely my favourite lens in the bag just for its ability and flexibility ;)

The photogrpah of the bride/model walking through the cloisters is simply stunning Yvonne. I have this lens and don't use it often enough, thanks for the inspiration. Iain

antihero said:
lovely shot....what distance did you shoot from to get it? (never shot with a 70-200 before so forgive my ignorance!)

I was probably around 8 feet away? This was a while ago now so I'm not sure.

Yv's set of images is all the more impressive for her overcoming her obvious disability in taking them :)

Well done Yv :clap:

Dave

PS - yes, she's a woman so its all a bit technical for her :D

Not to mention, that like your good self, I am also very short which makes it a far more difficult & heavy lens to use :p :LOL:

The Nikon 70 - 200 f2.8 is pretty much all i use for portraits these days. Sometimes i put the 50 on for headshots but the 70-200 is an amazing portrait lens.

Why would you use a 50mm lens for headshots? Do you like your subjects to have big noses?

The colors and processing are just very odd. I think its also to do with the very random looking lighting. My eyes are really drawn to the wall rather than the subject.

And maybe we need some context on what its all about.

The colours are as shot, I was using gels. I had this shot in my head for ages before doing it but also got a load of glamour shots of her in that location before giving her a make-under for this one. It was February, she was soaking wet and there were trains passing 3 feet above our heads every 10 minutes making the whole tunnel shake. It was quite an experience....

Why would you use a 50mm lens for headshots? Do you like your subjects to have big noses?

You really cant help yourself can you.do you think you help urself on here with nonconstructive criticism and your complete and utter obnoxious approach to other peoples photography and techniques. by the way i am still waiting for a reply on your other thread.a reply with an out of camera image would be appreciated.

Many thanks

pffft : slagging of the 50mm one of the most popular portrait lenses of all time for head shots .surely they taught u that at college

(sits and waits for jason to mention a far more superior lens for head shots than the 50mm f1.8 lol)

Wez (y)

i must agree that leopard is absolutely stunning. just ran round the house showing half the family.fantastic !!!

You really cant help yourself can you.do you think you help urself on here with nonconstructive criticism and your complete and utter obnoxious approach to other peoples photography and techniques. by the way i am still waiting for a reply on your other thread.a reply with an out of camera image would be appreciated.

Many thanks

pffft : slagging of the 50mm one of the most popular portrait lenses of all time for head shots .surely they taught u that at college

(sits and waits for jason to mention a far more superior lens for head shots than the 50mm f1.8 lol)

Wez (y)

Wez,
I think the best course here is to just ignore little Jason. He seems intent on mucking up a great thread. Let's all post our pics and pretend like he was never here :nuts:

Wez,
I think the best course here is to just ignore little Jason. He seems intent on mucking up a great thread. Let's all post our pics and pretend like he was never here :nuts:

i have ignored him most of the day to be honest, unfortunatly hes been posting in a thread that im interested in. but i have said my piece now :D

Many thanks

Wez (y)

You don't take head shots with a 50mm lens, this is not even open for discussion. It is too wide angle and you get perspective distortion. The focal length needs to be about 85mm on full frame. I am not even going to enter in to and argument about this - just go google it.

Blimey! Is that a Snow Leopard? Absolutely cracking shot. If that was mine it would be hanging on my wall. Best so far IMHO.

i must agree that leopard is absolutely stunning. just ran round the house showing half the family.fantastic !!!

Thanks guys. Your kind comments are much appreciated (y)

(And yes 'tis a Snow Leopard.)

He looks a right cheeky little monkey :)

2nd and 3rd really "catch him" IMO (y)

Jason - THIS is exactly the reason people are fed up with you and just want to argue - it isn't what you say, it is the way you are saying it.

So, here is the thing.... you have posted some decent pictures this evening, and do have the ability to critique, comment [and take the same in return] on others without sounding like an over inflated ego on legs, so take a step back, look at your posting style and consider how you can change it. It will make your time here more enjoyable, flatten down the hackles you have raised and make our jobs considerably less problematic. Please.

of course if a one-way ticket out of here is what you want, you only have to say, but the fact you are still coming back says it probably isn't. :)

Everyone else, can we just go back to enjoying sharing photos from this lens, thanks :)

You don't take head shots with a 50mm lens, this is not even open for discussion. It is too wide angle and you get perspective distortion. The focal length needs to be about 85mm on full frame. I am not even going to enter in to and argument about this - just go google it.

dear God

obviously the 85mm is the prime choice for portraits but for alot of people the 50mm 1.8 is a the choice because of the price and IQ.i dont want to get into a huge debate but i guarantee 95% of people on here have used a 50mm lens at some point for portrait work and got great photos.did they show you how to fix perspective distortion in college there will be a tutorial on youtube no doubt.mind you you would proberbly get into a debate with the OP for their technique lol. (y)

Here is my contribution, sadly I dont own this lens (yet!!) but I have rented it a couple of times. This was my first time out with it!

Peek-a-boo by rob_mank, on Flickr

Thanks Cobra. He has got a great cheeky attitude that is adorable right now but will probably be hell in a few years time :LOL:

A touch of deja vu from your past, perhaps you have learned something over the last 2 years, sadly courtesy is not it.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=238361

.......and please could you say which lens you have used for the images you have posted here as I asked before.

Heather

Back