70-200 f2.8 portraiture showcase thread

please could you lovely moderators explain to pleasant little me why you are so lenient :boxer:

Thanks Cobra. He has got a great cheeky attitude that is adorable right now but will probably be hell in a few years time :LOL:

Oh trust me it will be it will be ;)

heres one i took last month for a friend of mine took using a sigma 70-200 2.8. :D
Thanks for looking

I'm just working backwards through the thread (Yeah I know :LOL:)

This is pretty damned good too
Cracking looking dog (y)

please could you lovely moderators explain to pleasant little me why you are so lenient :boxer:

Ah that's the rub, we can't win. :D

We play nice and get the urine extracted,
we hit people with the ban hammer and get accused of being heavy handed;)

We only ban people as a last resort, and "short holiday's" are handed out as
a second to last resort.
At the moment the Jaffa cake cupboard is fully stocked, so all's right with the world.
As it starts to get depleted, well that's a different story :D

hi cobra, I understand how hard it is to moderate a site such as this.i moderated a site like this myself for 3 years college forum with 1500 students.but surely a short holiday is in order here.i do not mean to extract the urine so to speak but the guy is upsetting the balance and spirit of talkphotograpy as a whole. i just wanted to voice my concern.

Thanks

hi cobra, I understand how hard it is to moderate a site such as this.i moderated a site like this myself for 3 years college forum with 1500 students.but surely a short holiday is in order here.i do not mean to extract the urine so to speak but the guy is upsetting the balance and spirit of talkphotograpy as a whole. i just wanted to voice my concern.

Thanks

When you think about it, your comments are also doing that, which is why we have the contact us and rtm buttons (y)

You don't take head shots with a 50mm lens, this is not even open for discussion. It is too wide angle and you get perspective distortion. The focal length needs to be about 85mm on full frame. I am not even going to enter in to and argument about this - just go google it.

I dont think i need to Google it... Headshots are a pretty key aspect of my business and i think my 50mm 1.4 is an amazing headshot lens. Or for how i like to shoot them which is all that really matters. I actually have a 85mm 1.8 but use the 50 much more often as its just how i like to work.

Its about using the focal length to its own benifits. Which meets my style very well.. So i am very sorry Google may have told you headshots have to be on an 85mm, but it lied.

I did post a few examples of my 50 mm headshots but this thread is for 70-200 so i wont.

Last edited:
I dont think anyone needs a ban or suspension, we are all adults if you dont like what someone is saying use the ignore feature.

Absolutely loving the work on here TP'rs :clap:
What a lens

Its definitely in a play off with a d700 on my wishlist (or d800 dreamlist)

Keep em coming (y)

Just been reading through this thread over the last hour. This certainly seems to be 'one' of the lenses of choice for more or less anything. Plus the fact it looks so damn good sitting in front of a decent camera body.
As this time next year, I'll be a millionaire, this is definitely one for the wish list. :)

It's an old one, but taken with my 70-200

IMG_9121.jpg

I dont think i need to Google it... Headshots are a pretty key aspect of my business and i think my 50mm 1.4 is an amazing headshot lens. Or for how i like to shoot them which is all that really matters. I actually have a 85mm 1.8 but use the 50 much more often as its just how i like to work.

Its about using the focal length to its own benifits. Which meets my style very well.. So i am very sorry Google may have told you headshots have to be on an 85mm, but it lied.

I did post a few examples of my 50 mm headshots but this thread is for 70-200 so i wont.

Well you're doing it wrong. But don't beat yourself up about it, I used to make the same mistake too until I was corrected by someone who actually knew what they were doing.

Jason - THIS is exactly the reason people are fed up with you and just want to argue - it isn't what you say, it is the way you are saying it.

I'm from Yorkshire - we all talk like this. If everybody did the same there would be no problems in the world :D

Yeah ok. I'd rather take advice from the photographer who has sold more posters than the tennis girl scratching her bum than some random on here. But thanks for your concern.

That just proves that you have absolutely zero respect for anyone on here. So why post? It's not as if you are sharing your new god-like talent.

6806003987_bba70613fa_z.jpg

Strobist set-up with remote triggers in the local church. Snooted speedlight to model left and behind giving rim light, key light to model right, snooted light to model front left giving pool of light on the floor.

That just proves that you have absolutely zero respect for anyone on here. So why post? It's not as if you are sharing your new god-like talent.

Look, my whole point is that I got so much bad advice on here when I first started that I am surprised that I didn't pack it in. Two years later I come back and the same idiots are spouting the same rubbish to newbies. I really hate that. And then it's me that gets the moderator warnings, not the people talking crap.

I'm actually quite a nice bloke in real life! I just get wound up by morons thinking that they are better than they are. (Usually wedding togs...)

Jason

I'm getting a bit sick of this now, your attitude is poor and regardless of you being a nice bloke, you're earning yourself a reputation for being argumentative and arrogant.

you've been warned more than once, there won't be another warning before you become excluded from the site.

Jason

I'm getting a bit sick of this now, your attitude is poor and regardless of you being a nice bloke, you're earning yourself a reputation for being argumentative and arrogant.

you've been warned more than once, there won't be another warning before you become excluded from the site.

Can you tell me what I have done wrong before you ban me...?

Or is being honest a crime around here?

I didn't say I was going to ban you, don't over dramatise the situation, I said you'd be excluded there is a difference.

Honesty isn't a crime, repeated arrogance and being argumentative towards other members of the site (especially calling them morons :nono:) is highly undesirable though and that's what's going to earn you some time out.

I didn't say I was going to ban you, don't over dramatise the situation, I said you'd be excluded there is a difference.

Honesty isn't a crime, repeated arrogance and being argumentative towards other members of the site (especially calling them morons :nono:) is highly undesirable though and that's what's going to earn you some time out.

OK so let's cut a deal - I won't call them morons if you give me another word to replace the one that I use for people that stamp on newbies and give them bad advice.

You really don't get the gist do you m8, nobody is asking you to not tell people where they are wrong. People are telling you to adjust the manner in which you choose to do it. Your posting style is argumentative and is dripping with arrogance, change those to polite and constructive and you'll be able to make your point in a manner that's acceptable.

Back