70-200 lens zoo shots with f stop questions?

Name
gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I got the tamron 70-200 f2.8 new g2 lens for a project i am doing at my local zoo.But a bit puzzled with the f stops.
I usually shoot wildlife with my nikon 200-500 and usually go for the widest aperture 4.5 -f8 depending on what light and speeds i need. But i thought zoos have dark enclosures and struggle for light with pushing the iso too high. I need a smaller lens and went for the f2.8. But it has puzzled me i know this lens will give me better depth of field but will my images be soft at the edges at 2.8 or will i need to take it up to f8 to sharpness in that case why did i buy the lens?
I went out for a bit of practise and when i filled the frame with a subject at f2.8 it seemed a bit soft my speeds were fine so no motion blur,but when closed down to f8 it seemed better some how. So really it boils down to at f2.8 will i get a sharp overall picture or will i have to zoom out a bit then crop in later to get a better result. I'm shooting on a d500 body by the way

I don'y have the lens but think you would get a better response if you request this be moved to 'Talk Equipment' rather than 'Photos'. :)

When I first went to the Yorkshire Wildlife Park I noticed my Sigma 70-200 2.8 a little soft in the corners even stopped down a little, I'd only used it for motorsport and portrait stuff before so edge sharpness was never a factor. I sold it on and replaced it with a Nikon 70-200 f/4 which is very sharp to the corners.

I found shooting a brick wall is the best way to test sharpness in the corners, if you bought it new you should be able to get it replaced if it's that bad.

Try focussing on something at the edge of the frame. Not much depth of field so if your focus point is in the centre then the corners are likely out of focus rather than soft.

Back