A guide for photography at Oulton Park.

Matt Sayle

2017MSA Young Photographer of the Year(Motorsport)
Name
Matt Sayle
Edit My Images
Yes
RIght then, I have been threating to do this for a while now so I cracked on and did it last week. I am chuffed to bits with it :) TOok me a bloody age though so I hope you like it :LOL:

http://www.mattsayle.co.uk/OultonParkPhotographersGuide.pdf

See here for circuit map

For events I recommend, then track days have to be the first for me. Hardly anyone there so plenty of time to practice!! You also dont have to wait for the chips in the restaurent (which are lovely btw :LOL:)

As for race events I would say:

The Gold Cup THE event of the year IMO. I have been waiting for this one all year! Some of the best cars you will see at Oulton all year round. Plus rally cars and a load of Owners Clubs makes for a fantastic weekend!

750 Motor Club Non stop action all the way with this lot usually. Great racing and well run!

AMOC The Aston Martin race meeting is a superb meeting with some really lovely motors!

The FInal Round of BSB It is the Superbikes. It is the last race of the season for the BSB. It is going to be amazing.

So I hope this helps and we get a few new photographers up at Oulton Park :)

Thanks Matt, lots of info and a good comprehensive guide to the track, shame it so far away, although making the effort to get to Cadwell Park at the end of the month for the BSB, so should really put the effort into getting to Oulton Park sometime soon.

Cheers Peter

Track days were quiet till you just advertised the fact!! :LOL:

Not just an excellent photography guide but a superb spectator guide too!

A great effort.

Thanks Matt, lots of info and a good comprehensive guide to the track, shame it so far away, although making the effort to get to Cadwell Park at the end of the month for the BSB, so should really put the effort into getting to Oulton Park sometime soon.

Cheers Peter

Yeah Peter, you should :LOL: IT is a fantastic circuit and great to watch racing at!!

Thank you very much.

Track days were quiet till you just advertised the fact!! :LOL:

Not just an excellent photography guide but a superb spectator guide too!

A great effort.

LOL!!!

Thank you very much Tim :)

Wow, first class guide - I'll be using it

Thank you very much!

Well done Matt, very nice read.

Made me want to go OP tomorrow now..... Shame i cant make it :(

THank you very much mate!

:( Tis a shame. Should be a great day tomorrow!

great idea Matt & nice work!

Thank you very much :)

Hi Matt,

Nice read, very informative - added to fav.

--------------
Graham

nice work Matt I think you have covered nearly everything apart from a review of the fast food. Dont forget the VW Funcup at the end of the season, this gives an opportunity for another angle .... the young ladies on the grid walk.... one of the highlights of the year

Thanks for doing this Matt, will check out the PDF in the morning.

Aston Martin event sounds good.

I really, really want to do some track days but it's hard to reach without a car, nearest train station is quite far away - I'm trying to convince my cousin to come with me so he can drive me there but he doesn't realize I will leave him in the stands to get some closer shots hehe. :naughty:

Steven.

nice work Matt I think you have covered nearly everything apart from a review of the fast food. Dont forget the VW Funcup at the end of the season, this gives an opportunity for another angle .... the young ladies on the grid walk.... one of the highlights of the year

Thank you very much Chris!!

THe food is good. The chips are awesome :D THe curry is lurvely to :) I had that today as I was STARVING :LOL:

Thanks for doing this Matt, will check out the PDF in the morning.

Aston Martin event sounds good.

I really, really want to do some track days but it's hard to reach without a car, nearest train station is quite far away - I'm trying to convince my cousin to come with me so he can drive me there but he doesn't realize I will leave him in the stands to get some closer shots hehe. :naughty:

Steven.
Thank you very much Steven.

You can get a taxi ;)

Hah, that's true Matt.
But taxis cost money which is something I don't have.

I have a car, but no license, insurance or least of all any idea how to drive the damn thing lmao.

That's why I call shotgun, I can shoot but I can't drive :LOL:

Well done Matt, an excellent piece and very informative. :clap:

A "don't leave home without it" guide, especially for those who have not been before / limited experience of the circuit. Something like this would have been invaluable for me when I went to Croft last year for the first time. :clap:

Good work. But I get the feeling its going to be more crowded in future.

Cracking guide there Matt, wish I'd read that before yesterday. It was good to see you again.

Hah, that's true Matt.
But taxis cost money which is something I don't have.

I have a car, but no license, insurance or least of all any idea how to drive the damn thing lmao.

That's why I call shotgun, I can shoot but I can't drive :LOL:

T'is well worth the money though!! IF you cna get yourself to the Gold Cup, DO IT!!!

Well done Matt, an excellent piece and very informative. :clap:

A "don't leave home without it" guide, especially for those who have not been before / limited experience of the circuit. Something like this would have been invaluable for me when I went to Croft last year for the first time. :clap:

Thank you very much Andy, I am glad that you find it handy :)

Good work. But I get the feeling its going to be more crowded in future.

Is that a bad thing?? Means that most 'action' should get covered so we now what went on :LOL:

mint idea matt

Cheers buddy :)

Cracking guide there Matt, wish I'd read that before yesterday. It was good to see you again.

Thank you very much mate!!

Yeah, it was great to see you as well. I was tempted to mug you of your press pass though :LOL:

Never been there, but what about Shell Oil Corner?

Just read through matt, very informative thanks again!

If you're bothered about improving it then one suggestion I have is to include smaller version of the course overview and colour key on each page. I found myself constantly scrolling up to the upper page to reference which bit of the track you were talking about and which way you were facing.

Other than that, brilliant guide nice work.

Cheers, Steven.

nice one matt.. sorry for moving it, couldnt resist :)

Thank you Gary :)

LOL no worries :D

Never been there, but what about Shell Oil Corner?

It is unavailble to the public so I have never been there before!!

excellent, im hoping to get weekend tickets for the BSB and have never been there before.. thank you

Thank you!!

It is going to be a great weekend is the BSB :)

Just read through matt, very informative thanks again!

If you're bothered about improving it then one suggestion I have is to include smaller version of the course overview and colour key on each page. I found myself constantly scrolling up to the upper page to reference which bit of the track you were talking about and which way you were facing.

Other than that, brilliant guide nice work.

Cheers, Steven.

Thank you very much Steven!! Yeah, I see what you mean about that!

What a great article :D

I wonder if anyone has done one for Donington:

redgate: distant and fenced in

and here we have the old hairpin, distant and fenced in

macleans: fenced in

oohh, foggy esses: get there early in the morning and you might get a good spot not already taken, otherwise: fenced in...

etc etc etc :LOL:

Yeh really good idea Matt, enjoyed reading it. Only been to Oulton once but it's a wicked track, just about every corner is very shootable :)

thank you very much Az.

In terms of fence at Oulton there is next to none. there are only to catch fences but you can easuly shoot through them :)

Only Catch fences at lodge, old hall, and entrance area to Knickerbrooke. And only on the outside of the track.

As I said elsewhere, great guide Matt, well done! It will be put to good use next Wedsnesday at the MSV trackday and hopefully the folks behind the lens will get some good shots of the Hondas (all 17 of them :))

Back