A Guide to Photographing the Northern Lights

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
No
Hi All,

I have written a blog post to hopefully assist others that are interested in this subject and thinking of travelling up to see the lights some time in the future. It includes camera settings etc and specifically gives assistance to non-aurora experts (like me) who want to tick the lights off their bucket lists. I got back on Tuesday and although I witnessed no major 'storm' what I did see left me craving more!

http://squashimagery.wordpress.com/...raphing-the-northern-lights-in-tromso-norway/

I know people on here don't specifically like links but when I was booking up I found it difficult to decide where to go and when I had decided on Norway, couldn't find too much giving photographer type of info.

Anyway, I hope it is helpful to someone.

Regards

Rich

That is a great Guide Rich, I really enjoyed reading that, even after my failed attempt last night.
Was only stood for 7hrs in 2deg c though, positively warm by your standards!

Thanks Stu,

Thats cold enough for 7 hours by anyones standards! I did have a car nearby so could pop back in and warm up so to be out there all that time must've tested the old resolve somewhat!

Really glad you enjoyed the blog though, keep trying, I see the forecasters are tempting us again tonight?!

Rich

Thanks for the guide - I'm off to Iceland early March, so this is very useful info.

An excellent guide. I was in Tromso for two nights about three years ago. I found that buying food from the supermarket there was about the same price as having a meal cooked for you at a restaurant in the UK! Well worth a visit though. I just did a couple of organised tours that I think cost around £30-£35 pp for around 3 hours. They were arranged through the tourist information office down by the harbour, so I would recommend that to anyone that doesn't fancy driving. The host was friendly and informative. I was the only one there that had any idea about what to do with a camera, so I ended up e-mailing my shots to one American couple on the tour. It's amazing how many people turn out with compacts expecting to get good photos.

Thanks for the guide - I'm off to Iceland early March, so this is very useful info.
Good luck to you and glad you found it helpful!

An excellent guide. I was in Tromso for two nights about three years ago. I found that buying food from the supermarket there was about the same price as having a meal cooked for you at a restaurant in the UK! Well worth a visit though. I just did a couple of organised tours that I think cost around £30-£35 pp for around 3 hours. They were arranged through the tourist information office down by the harbour, so I would recommend that to anyone that doesn't fancy driving. The host was friendly and informative. I was the only one there that had any idea about what to do with a camera, so I ended up e-mailing my shots to one American couple on the tour. It's amazing how many people turn out with compacts expecting to get good photos.
Thanks for the support and delighted it was informative. Prices are high for everything. God knows how the Norwegians do it! I think the tours have got wind of what they are onto. We went to the Tourist Info place and the cheapest there was £90 with food and snow suits etc on top! Lots of people not sure of how to take pics, my guide was telling everyone to have noise reduction setting set to 'on'. I guess thats fine if you aren't processing RAW but he was quite cross I wasn't taking his advice! Love your avatar btw!

Thanks. That was from Levi in Lapland last April. The trouble with going in April after the clocks have gone back is that it's not worth going out until after 2300. I was on a ski holiday so had something to do during the day as well. A week's half board was just over £700 including flights and transfers and that location where I took the shot was about a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel. Here's a couple of low res shots from that trip. I was typically using a Canon 10-22 on my 450D, 1600 ISO and about 30-40 seconds.

Really good guide, thanks Rich.

We went to Kiruna in the north of Sweden to see the lights a few years ago and you're right, you do immediately want to go back to see them again.

We haven't yet returned but we're hoping to get to see them again in Iceland either this year or next.

Thanks again

Mark

Thanks folks, really appreciate the comments. Its good to know people found it interesting!

Peter, they look amazing, Lapland sounds an interesting destination for the lights.

Mark, I was in Kiruna a few years ago for a wedding, we weren't looking for the lights and didn't see them but had an amazing time! Bloomin' cold mind!!!!

Thanks for the guide- what hotel did you stay in? Might nip up there this year!

If anyone goes to Norway or Sweden for the aurora I recommend a weather app called yr.no

Last edited:
Thanks folks, really appreciate the comments. Its good to know people found it interesting!

Peter, they look amazing, Lapland sounds an interesting destination for the lights.
Thanks, and that was on a low level performance night, which just goes to show you can't take anything for granted. I think the activity level that night was 2 or 3, but then the sky just erupted and the display lasted for about 45 minutes to an hour before fizzling out.

Thanks for the guide- what hotel did you stay in? Might nip up there this year!

If anyone goes to Norway or Sweden for the aurora I recommend a weather app called yr.no

Hiya, we stayed in the Radisson Blu on the harbour front. Nothing special but all clean with good facilities. Perfect for us.

Thanks, and that was on a low level performance night, which just goes to show you can't take anything for granted. I think the activity level that night was 2 or 3, but then the sky just erupted and the display lasted for about 45 minutes to an hour before fizzling out.

They are still so difficult to predict! Some our best viewings were on nights that there wasnt supposed to be any activity! Gotta be in it to win it as they say!

I'm off to Iceland in feb and will fingers crossed get a chance to try out some if your hints, great blog post full of useful info.

Thanks Alex, good luck with your trip. Will keep everything crossed for you. Look forward to seeing your pics!

Nice right up; thanks. Just need to wait for it to warm up a bit here, as standing around or sitting in a car in -20c weather isn't fun. I saw the lights over the city a couple of years ago, but only need to travel an hour or so North of here to get no light pollution. Roll on warmer weather, and then I can cross this of my To Do List.

Hi All,

I have written a blog post to hopefully assist others that are interested in this subject and thinking of travelling up to see the lights some time in the future. It includes camera settings etc and specifically gives assistance to non-aurora experts (like me) who want to tick the lights off their bucket lists. I got back on Tuesday and although I witnessed no major 'storm' what I did see left me craving more!

http://squashimagery.wordpress.com/...raphing-the-northern-lights-in-tromso-norway/

I know people on here don't specifically like links but when I was booking up I found it difficult to decide where to go and when I had decided on Norway, couldn't find too much giving photographer type of info.

Anyway, I hope it is helpful to someone.

Regards

Rich

I loved your guide and please keep it online for years to come, but I do have to say that £16 for a Burger King Meal is exaggerated - I've been living in Norway for nearly 2 years and its about £11 for a meal. Which I'm not saying is cheap but still, I've never seen anything in Burger King here for £16!

Oh and if anybody is thinking of going, its much better value going now than if you were to have gone a some months ago - the government here devalued their currency a bit to make their exports more attractive and it used to be around 8.3 NOK to £1 but now its as Rich says almost 10NOK to 1GBP so its quite a bit cheaper if you want to spend £'s!

Nice right up; thanks. Just need to wait for it to warm up a bit here, as standing around or sitting in a car in -20c weather isn't fun. I saw the lights over the city a couple of years ago, but only need to travel an hour or so North of here to get no light pollution. Roll on warmer weather, and then I can cross this of my To Do List.

-20c Sid? Come on, man up and get yer snow gear on!!! Seriously tho, that's cold, especially if there is a wind! You must do it sometime tho being so close an all.

Great guide thank you
Thanks very much Graeme

I loved your guide and please keep it online for years to come, but I do have to say that £16 for a Burger King Meal is exaggerated - I've been living in Norway for nearly 2 years and its about £11 for a meal. Which I'm not saying is cheap but still, I've never seen anything in Burger King here for £16!

Oooh, I definitely don't mean to exaggerate. I was certain it was about 32kroner but I will check with my wife and change it if I am wrong. Do you live over in Tromso? Could the prices be a touch higher there?

Anyway, many thanks for your comments and really pleased people have enjoyed the blog and found it helpful.

Rich

32 kroner would be £3.20 :) well the cities up north aren't much cheaper but I'm based in the capital.

Edit: Sorry looking back I look like a pedantic grumpy person but I didn't mean it, was just saying in case somebody should be put off by Norway's high prices, and was to be further put off by the thought that a burger king meal could be so much! :p

Last edited:
-20c Sid? Come on, man up and get yer snow gear on!!! Seriously tho, that's cold, especially if there is a wind! You must do it sometime tho being so close an all.
Rich

Rich, I have the clothing...I just worry about the camera. -20c isn't too bad when it's just the cold, but if there's a windchill factor, it hurts!!

Rich, I have the clothing...I just worry about the camera. -20c isn't too bad when it's just the cold, but if there's a windchill factor, it hurts!!

I was in Kiruna Sweden a few years ago and the temp was -30ºC and it made my nostril hairs freeze on each breath! Weird or what! Locals told us they could tell when the temp was below -15ºC using this phenomena. So yes, I agree, it hurts...

OK, I concede I got it wrong and have amended the blog for accuracy! Sincere apologies for that. My better half insists we paid 260K but I did have a shake instead of a coke (y)

I was in Kiruna Sweden a few years ago and the temp was -30ºC and it made my nostril hairs freeze on each breath! Weird or what! Locals told us they could tell when the temp was below -15ºC using this phenomena. So yes, I agree, it hurts...

It is a weird feeling when the nose hairs freeze with every breath, but at the same time it's kinda invigorating ;-)

-20c isn't too bad when it's just the cold, but if there's a windchill factor, it hurts!!
A few years ago at Yellowstone in February, we went out with the temperature at a balmy -20°C to go for a swim in the river. That's pretty surreal.

Back