A thank you to TP members/Why you should handle a camera before buying

Name
Ollie Adams-Liggins
Edit My Images
Yes
First off, a thank you to TP members advising me to try out cameras before even thinking of buying a certain one over another. I learnt the following from just that. Each to their own, i'm certainly not trying to slag off Canon, just what i felt in this particular case/price range.

I went into Currys Digital yesterday to ask mainly about cover/insurance on a dSLR. They told me £159 for 10 years from them for slightly more for 3 years from Nikon themselves. :razz: That'll be a no then.

Anyway, I asked to try out the D90 whilst i was there and I was so impressed. It felt much better than the D40 we have. Much heavier, more comfortable and feels a lot more than just a plastic toy. For me, it is also so much easier to steady - having shaky hands wasn't really a problem with this one (I'm sure there are physics behind it, but the added weight made it easy to stay still)

Now, here is why you should try both out.

Whilst i was there, i asked if i may i try out the Canon 500D to see what the Canons feel like. The moment i touched it i somewhat accidently muttered "Ugh!" The lady behind the desk said "I thought you might say that". I enquired as to why and she said "Well, we get a lot of men in here who insist they have done their research and are absolutely sure they want a Canon. She hands it over and they instantly go off the idea and end up buying one of the alternatives

Those who don't go for it appear to have the same issue as me. Not only does it feel tiny, (the grip only fills half of my hand) it's awkwardly shaped as well (the shutter release is sloped - im guessing they think it would be more ergonomic, but in my case, they were so wrong :shrug:). The 500D is very lightweight and feels very cheap and plastic - not something i would even consider spending near enough £800 on :O

I also love the control scheme on the D90, the two dials and top LCD are wonderful.

ahem.. Yes, i did indeed fall in love with the Nikon D90 today - The point is though, this works both ways. You should definately try out all your options before completely disregarding them as a potential purchase.

Couldn't agree more - when I went for my first DSLR I had read up on all the specs and decided a D40 was all I needed and was going to order one by mail order. Just as well I popped into Jessops though, as when I tried one I realised it really wasn't all that comfortable for me to hold, but a D80 was.

(y) spot on! You can do all the research you want sitting at home on your pc, but until you have actually got the camera in your hands and tried it out, you can never be totally sure you have got what is best for you. I say that as someone that initially did just that, I went off recommendations and bought without trying anything else out. I don't regret it fortunately, but I would never hesitate to advise someone buying for the first time to get their hands on a body and have a play [Oi!, no sniggering at the back :nono: ] before handing over the hard earned cash.

it must be a good idea ollie,,because you picked the right one :LOL:

Transport me back about 4 years and I was exactly the same. Went along to the shop all set to buy my first digital SLR and was convinced I was going to get the canon eos 300d (I think it was - whatever the first mass advertised canon DSLR was anyway). Held it, felt like a toy. Picked up the Nikon D70 to compare. Fell in love. Been Nikon ever since :)

i thought the d90 was more comparable to the 40d than the 450d:shrug:

congrats on actually hand holding them. i have never really fancied any of the xxxd canon range, they look too small to me

i thought the d90 was more comparable to the 40d than the 450d:shrug:

congrats on actually hand holding them. i have never really fancied any of the xxxd canon range, they look too small to me

It was the 500D i held, but yes, it probably is - They didn't have a 40D on the shelf else i would have probably asked to hold that one. Still, they all have to be fairly similar. I imagine the weight thing would be less of an issue but im guessing design stays fairly uniform.

I was the same, I tried the 400D and it felt to small and very uncomfortable, but the 40D just moulded into my hand. I couldn't believe how much better it was. Definately try before you buy!

Just looking at the 50d and the 500d, the 50d looks much more solid and heavy. I would have expected the D90 to be comparable to the 50D, rather than the 500d.
However, you have found a camera you like, good luck.

It's worth saying (IMO) that the same comparison could be drawn between a 400D/450D and a 40D, so it would be worth trying the 40D as well I think.

I bought the D90 as I felt the 450D was too light and flimsy (Fisher Price!) but a friend at work finds my D90 far too heavy and likes the light weight of the Canon, just emphasises how important it is that YOU try the camera out before buying!

Yup, xxxD range is tiny! I told my mum to buy a Canon 450D after liking my 30D and she came back with a 40D cause the 450 was so awkward to hold.

I made that mistake - bought a Canon 450D back late last year over the net without handling it first and never really got on with it handling wise.

Then I had a play with a D90 at Dixons Birmingham Airport and it was a different animal altogether and had to buy it.

Mrs M hasn't noticed its a different camera yet :naughty:

I made that mistake - bought a Canon 450D back late last year over the net without handling it first and never really got on with it handling wise.

Then I had a play with a D90 at Dixons Birmingham Airport and it was a different animal altogether and had to buy it.

Mrs M hasn't noticed its a different camera yet :naughty:

Everyone seems to try these things out at airports :O Are they cheaper there or something?

Everyone seems to try these things out at airports :O Are they cheaper there or something?

I think boredom waiting for flights has something more to do with it...

Definately try before you buy and this is the reason. You could spend a lot of money and be unhappy with the camera.

I've not tried the latest bread of Nikon's so can't comment on those, but I do now I was amazed at the difference when I upgraded from my 300D to the 40D. A heavier, more sturdy feel, but also that bit larger and fits perfectly in my hand. (y)

so what you're all saying is that we're all shallow, we only care about the look and feel :naughty: of things, and not about what's important, what's inside :(. I'm outraged at the slur! ;)

That said I upgraded from a 400d partly for this very reason, so I couldn't agree more!

and that's a 100, hurrah! please don't ban me!

Much heavier, more comfortable and feels a lot more than just a plastic toy. For me, it is also so much easier to steady - having shaky hands wasn't really a problem with this one (I'm sure there are physics behind it, but the added weight made it easy to stay still)

It's inertia, it's harder to get something heavier in motion or change its direction.

I foresee people sticking wheel weights to D40's now, cheap VR :LOL:

I shot Nikon (F2 and FM) from the late 70s, and started digital with a Dimage 7i and a couple of compacts. I wanted a DSLR, but didn't like the very small/entry level models and couldn't afford the next step up. Bought a new Canon 30D with the 17-85 as a kit a year ago, probably one of the last ones in South Africa, and I'm glad I waited. It's all very well insisting that it's the lenses that matter, which has a great deal of truth in it of course, but I still feel you'll regret buying an uncomfortable body every time you use it.

I'm not invested in Canon, beyond the camera and an external flash, because I still have a fondness for Nikon and used a D300 for a bit at my son's wedding. Another story, but the pro gave me one of his backups to try during the reception. I liked it, a lot, but I don't know. The Canon is good, switching to Nikon won't improve my photography, but................... We'll see.

I must admit I made the mistake of buying without holding. I spent 3 months researching my 1st DSLR and had finally got it nailed down to a 400D.
Bought it and was very happy with the feel (I had never held another DSLR) I bought the grip which made it more sturdy and even more comfy to hold.

I wanted to move into the XXD range and decided to go to a shop and have a play/feel. As soon as I handled the 40 and 50D, they felt even better than my 400D. Just the solid and sturdy feel.

The fact that I bought and got used to handling and using the 400D, it was a natural progression onto the xx range
I think I would have had exaxtly the same experience with Nikon if I'd have gone through the same purchasing process.
Just my 14 shillings worth
Ian

It was a D50 I bought as my first DSLR, a decision made purely on what I believed it was capable of, together finding a starter kit (body, lens (X2), bag, etc) for a great price. Sometime later I got to hold the equivilant starter Canon that my brother had bought around about the same time, and well, it just felt wrong - too small, buttons in all the wrong places, plasticy...... Felt rather pleased with myself for going the Nikon route at the time :D

BTW - am using a D300 now, and the D50 feels all wrong everytime I go back to it these days :LOL: :LOL:

I have to admit, I did all my research and thought that the new canon 500D was the one for me. I currently have a 20D and wanted something lighter and more up to date.
Went into the shop and knew it wasn't for me as soon as I picked it up.

Now I'm back to the drawing board.

I have to admit, I did all my research and thought that the new canon 500D was the one for me. I currently have a 20D and wanted something lighter and more up to date.
Went into the shop and knew it wasn't for me as soon as I picked it up.

Now I'm back to the drawing board.

500D
Body Materials - Stainless Steel/Plastic
Dimensions (WxHxD) - 128.8 x 97.5 x 61.9 mm
Weight (Body Only) - Approx. 480g

20D
Body Materials - Magnesium Alloy/Plastic
Dimensions - 144 x 105.5 x 71.5mm
Weight (body only) - Approx. 685g

quite a bit smaller the 500D. plus we all know the 20D shutter is made from cast iron from the noise it makes so its a fair bit heavier too..

you guys should pick up a 5D :p

Though the feel of the xxD is pretty close to the 5D I think, even side by side comparison, the xxD does not disappoint.

Just don't ask to try out a D700 or you're going to be leaving the store with a maxed out credit card ;)

I did absoloutely no research other than ......

"Oh, PCworld are selling a DSLR kit I can afford "

went in, asked to look at the 300D kit, bought it :D

never even noticed who made it !!!

I must admit, the 400D did feel small for my hands, and I dont have big hands (according to my gf at least!!), especially after you add some substancial lenses.

Good excuse to add the grip which improved feel and handling no end, brilliant addition. However, it was another £100 on top. I'm planning on upgrading to a 50D and hoping I dont need to grip that as well!

I think everyone has done the exact same thing.

2 years ago when I went into Jessops I was either going to get the 400D or the D40x and didnt mind which as it was my first SLR and so I didnt have any allegiance to either camp.

I picked up one of each and fell in love with the controls of the D40x and have been Nikon ever since.

This thread could go on forever, but then why not? It's a good way of reinforcing the point :).

I bought my first DSLR (Olympus E420) based on impulse and about an hour's worth of Internet research, as it was on (very :naughty:) special offer (240GBP with twin lens kit). I didn't handle it, or any other DSLRs in the shop, so when I got it home and opened the box, that was the first time I'd even held a DSLR.

Great little camera though it was, I have huge hands and it has no front grip at all, so it soon became irritating to use due to being fiddly and easy to drop :(.

Once I decided to upgrade it, I made the classic mistake of choosing with my eyes and (after more Internet research), set my heart on a Canon 50D :love: - a very 'pretty' camera, IMO :p! Luckily, I received the same advice as the OP and even though I had no intention of buying my new camera here in Germany (cheaper in the UK), I went and asked to try a few out anyway (mainly to see how ergonomic the Canons were). Purley by way of comparison, I held a Nikon D300 too - :| oh crap ... I became an instant Nikon fanboy!

After more Internet research, I realised that my (new) dream camera was the D700 and that's what I bought. Now, I see it as just a "tool", but like any any good tool, it works more as an extension of the brain and body than as a "machine" that you have to wrestle with.

Of course, other people will have their preferred brand too, but unless you try out a few models, you'll never know :shrug: ...

Great little camera though it was, I have huge hands and it has no front grip at all, so it soon became irritating to use due to being fiddly and easy to drop :(.

The ultimate reason I got rid of my Oly, along with other factors. I now have a D40 and I wish I'd handled it as it too is rather small, though with a battery grip it makes life easier.

The ultimate reason I got rid of my Oly, along with other factors. I now have a D40 and I wish I'd handled it as it too is rather small, though with a battery grip it makes life easier.

(y) Don't you find that there's a world of difference between the ergonomics of the D40, compared to the E420?

I love carrying my D40 around by the front grip and just clicking away with it all day. It balances on the tips of two fingers when carried this way and so is no burden at all - the Olympus needed to "pinched" between thumb and fore-finger to hold it with one hand and I was always scared of dropping mine :( (not to mention the aching fingers I had after 20 minutes :p).

It makes a world of difference having the fore-grip on the D40, but I'd still prefer something a little more substantial. And only having the one dial is a pain. The battery grip is ok, but as Nikon never produced one for the D40, the grip I have, and indeed most if not all of the 3rd party grips, are all IR operated, which is a pain in the ass. So much so, that I very rarely use the shutter button on the grip.

I must admit, the 400D did feel small for my hands, and I dont have big hands (according to my gf at least!!), especially after you add some substancial lenses.

Good excuse to add the grip which improved feel and handling no end, brilliant addition. However, it was another £100 on top. I'm planning on upgrading to a 50D and hoping I dont need to grip that as well!

As soon as I was decided on the 50D I sourced a battery grip. I fitted the grip as soon as I got the body out of the box. I had the Canon wrist strap on the 400D and it made so much difference to the handling, so I wanted this on the 50D, a god send with a heavy lens fitted while out and about. Plus the extended battery life, sturdier on a tripod, and easier when taking portrait style shots.
Expensive I know, but worth it IMO.

Ian.

As soon as I was decided on the 50D I sourced a battery grip. I fitted the grip as soon as I got the body out of the box. I had the Canon wrist strap on the 400D and it made so much difference to the handling, so I wanted this on the 50D, a god send with a heavy lens fitted while out and about. Plus the extended battery life, sturdier on a tripod, and easier when taking portrait style shots.
Expensive I know, but worth it IMO.

Ian.

When i decided to get the 30D, i bought the grip before i got the camera !

500D
Body Materials - etc
20D
Body Materials - etc

quite a bit smaller the 500D. plus we all know the 20D shutter is made from cast iron from the noise it makes so its a fair bit heavier too..

I think that what I was trying to say was that after using the 20D I had convinced myself that I needed a lighter camera. I realise that size wise etc they are not really comparable. Just emphasising the point that it's always a good idea to try out a range of cameras before parting with hard earned cash.

if you want a newer body what about a 40 or a 50 similar to 20d size wise and similar cost wise to a 500d

This was my other plan but I am such a ditherer. I'm now thinking of concentrating on lenses and other ancillaries and learning how to make the most of the 20D before I upgrade the camera.

Problem is, there's now talk of a 60D this year, so I'm wondering how much will that affect the prices of the 40 & 50.

Back