A thank you to TP members/Why you should handle a camera before buying

It seems the same story all round, back in the old days I had the choice of 2 canon's 350D (my first choice research wise), 20D (more than at the time I though I was willing to pay) and Nikon's D70s. Well back then canon ate Nikon for breakfast (unfortunately not nowadays) so picked the 20D because it felt comfortable to hold, add a battery grip to it and it moulds into you hand, great camera, still using it now, but have treated myself to a 2nd hand 1D MKiiN last year, boy it that good for motorsport / aviation.

If I was starting out now with the choice of different camera's, I think it would be a difficult decision, and not sure I would plum for canon. But try before you buy was the best advice I got, not sure I would go to curry, pc world, still rather go to somewhere that knows abit more about camera's, but budgets are the main driving force in these decisions.

Peter

The same thing happened to me. I was working in John Lewis over a Christmas, and was thinking of moving up from a Fuji S602Z Pro. I was stuck between a Canon 300D and a Nikon D70. Before I had a chance to touch either camera, the Canon 350D was announced, which was swaying me towards Canon. When I actually got to have a play with the demonstration cameras in the shop though, the Canon had my knuckle scraping on the lens (body too small). :( The Nikon just felt 'right' in my hands, and each Nikon I've had since has felt right. :)

It is always good advice to try a camera before you buy, especially with the price of some of these cameras. If you buy a camera you don't like th feel of, you'll be less inclined to use it, and you may even find it expensive should you decide you can't live with a camera, and decide to replace it. :bonk:

It may become increasingly hard to find a shop to actually be able to try a camera in the future. ;) :( :LOL: As while I bought the D70 in Jessops, (the best deal at the time) I bought the D200 and the D300 online.

For months my head had been turned by the billboards advertising the 350D and I knew I wanted to "upgrade" from my E520, after a rather lengthy time to save my pennies and lots of internet research, off I went BF in tow to look at the Canon 450D and the Nikon D60.

As soon as I held the Nikon I knew it was right for me, compact, light easy to use fitted into my hands perfectly. the canon id been lusting after for so long (for me) was not a patch on the D60.

DEFINITELY TRY BEFORE YOU BUY! :D

Back