Ace Aspire One A150 - £150

Would be interested to know if you think its worth the extra.

I'm not sure if I'm going to do it now :LOL:

After watching / reading the guides & reading the reports on incompatible memories I'll wait until I'm bored & got nothing else to do :thumbsdown:

mine runs photoshop OK, not great but OK. I've heard the 1gb upgrade can help alot but the Youtube tutorials will give you a heart attach :D

To be honest though, it is a great little bit of kit to keep in the bag. it fits perfectly in the top of my Lowepro bag and i use it with Irfanview to look through pics/ settings at lunch (when covering events). Helps me to tweak my settings as the day goes on.

I don't have this one, but £150 is a bargain judging from reviews. I have the XP HP/Compaq 702 instead, but the spec on these little netbooks is pretty standard. Runs very well but I wouldn't use it with CS4 because the space isn't there for the menu's and way too much scrolling would be involved. I use mine for storage, back-up and viewing only, plus web and email and strictly as a travel tool. With a range of codes and discounts I got the Compaq for around £210 delivered and glad to spend the extra. The keyboard is better, comes with proper CD's for XP and Works and has blue-tooth. Cheaper and way better than the typical back-up devices.

wow, my girlfriend turned hers on and she started using it with linux and loves it and she's been with windows all her life and knows nothing about computers. bizarre

i quite liked linux on mine, the only problem i had was getting a few different softwares to run, thats when i swapped to xp. if you only use what it came with, it is perfect

Wohoo ordered one now they are back in stock on ebuyer :D was tempted to try one of the other places I had never heard of.

I just tested mine as a Photo-Backup device. I copied five full 16Gb cards onto the HD & still had about 10% battery left.

Should be plenty for a weekend away :)

I bought 2 of these from Asda earlier this year (one for daughter). I have 512Mb Ram & 160Gb HDD.

I rebuilt mine with Windows 7 (Beta then RC1). It runs OK and is great for a bit of web browsing (via moble broadband) and for backing up photos while away from home. Can be a bit slow loading applications but after reading the instructions on how to upgrade the memory I decided I could live with it

Used an external HDD containing the files from the RC1 ISO to install Windows. Found that for apps that will not install because the screen resolution is too low the easiest fix is to attach an external monitor and set to higher resolution.

I just tested mine as a Photo-Backup device. I copied five full 16Gb cards onto the HD & still had about 10% battery left.

Should be plenty for a weekend away :)

How much free disk space is there with the linux installed?

I might get one of these for photo back up when travelling. Does the Linux have an app that can read canon RAW files?

Can I have first dibs when you sell it next week? :LOL:

Wont sell it, been after one for an age but didnt want to pay more than £200 new
Have a couple here at work and they are great for browsing and general stuff (easy for backing pics etc when away for example0

Did you get my PM earlier Andy?

How much free disk space is there with the linux installed?

I might get one of these for photo back up when travelling. Does the Linux have an app that can read canon RAW files?

I installed Windows 7 + Canon software as soon as I got it. It leaves me 100Mb to use for backup / other stuff :)

I installed Windows 7 + Canon software as soon as I got it. It leaves me 100Mb to use for backup / other stuff :)

I've ordered one now :eek:

I shall try the linux, if not perhaps go for Ubuntu, or if necessary XP.

Using mine now to post this. Damn it is tiny! Gonna take a while to get use to this small keyboard.

Ive had one of these for a while now, got the 160gb one from Asda a while back and i absolutely love it. Now runs 1.5gb RAM and WinXp, ive trimmed it down a little and its flies, boots to a useable state in seconds, i only use it for basic stuff so havent tried anything taxing on it, but for the money its well worth it.

I also use it when i go out along with a CF card reader to download the pics of my card as the thing is so small it fits in my bag easily.

anyone know a good idiot proof guide for installing xp on these from a usb stick? I understand the principal, make bootable usb stick, add xp files, boot from it and instal XP, but struggling for a aspire one specif guide that will take me step by step :(

Mine arrives monday apparently, leaving me a week to decide Linux works for me or get it over to something else before we leave for Namibia. Scary.

anyone know a good idiot proof guide for installing xp on these from a usb stick? I understand the principal, make bootable usb stick, add xp files, boot from it and instal XP, but struggling for a aspire one specif guide that will take me step by step :(

PM'd

What's it like viewing web pages on that tiny screen, is there a lot of scrolling side to side, or is it just very tiny text? Also does the card reader read SDHC cards?

screen is ok, most sites set to 1024 wide anyway. 600 high is a pain though

What's it like viewing web pages on that tiny screen, is there a lot of scrolling side to side, or is it just very tiny text? Also does the card reader read SDHC cards?

yes to SDHC. The only website that can be a pain sometimes are flash website. Most (forums especially) will scale fine.

My advice to people looking at buying these is if you are after a laptop look elsewhere. They are great for work on the road, and for web surfing but if you are looking for something to use 4-5 hours at a time you are probably going to be better off with a similar spec laptop (which can be had with the same spec for around £250-300 nowadays).

They are great little machines and i have probably used it beyond its means but i certainly wouldn't buy one as a workhorse for photo editing etc.

Most annoying thing I have found so far, is that the trackpad buttons are on the left/right, rather than below the trackpad itself. Getting used to it though.

Built mine with XP last night in 5 minute :D

fantastic little laptops for the money and suprisingly quick for the money/size

recommended from me

Mine just turned up, that's remarkably quick given I went for free delivery.

Now on charge.

OK, I like it, a lot.

I think I'd like to try staying with Linux, though might go for unbuntu which I'm told is much better than the version installed. Apparently you can get it on a stick from ebay for about £4.

I've copied across the RAW files from my CF card using a card reader but it can't open them. It can make them into thumbnails though they are more like little finger nails on this size screen.

Is there something i can download from somewhere that would enable me to view the RAW files properly? I'm not looking to edit them. I have the Canon Software on a disk and CS3 on a disk, but I want to give up as little storage space as possible to software.

OK, I like it, a lot.

I think I'd like to try staying with Linux, though might go for unbuntu which I'm told is much better than the version installed. Apparently you can get it on a stick from ebay for about £4.

I've copied across the RAW files from my CF card using a card reader but it can't open them. It can make them into thumbnails though they are more like little finger nails on this size screen.

Is there something i can download from somewhere that would enable me to view the RAW files properly? I'm not looking to edit them. I have the Canon Software on a disk and CS3 on a disk, but I want to give up as little storage space as possible to software.

Irfanview- best image viewing (and some editing) software ever- and its free.

I've got Gimp working now. It wouldn't work before but I worked out that the downloader hadn't selected enough of the associated applications so I selected a few others and it made it work.

Just bought one, looking forward to tinkering around with it.

These are sold out from Ebuyer, but still available from Expansys for the same price (within a quid or two)

Back