Adapter for the Canon R-series - what should I get and why?

Name
Erika Tanith
Edit My Images
No
All my lenses are Canon EF mount and, seeing as I need to upgrade my old 5Div body, they won't fit the latest R-series cameras. I was going to buy the standard adapter ring, but then I've seen that Canon offer an EF-EOS R Control Ring Mount Adapter that allows users to "Programme this lens control ring to adjust aperture, shutter speed, ISO or exposure compensation while your EOS R camera is still at your eye." My question is is it worth the extra £100 for this feature? Is it easy to use?

I don't entirely understand what it does (I usually change the aperture without looking on my 5D), but I assume it's because I've never used a mirrorless camera before? Interested in hearing anyone's thoughts on this.

If it makes any difference, I primarily shoot weddings: https://www.erikatanithphotography.co.uk/

I bought the basic Canon one, I can change all 4 settings on the body without the control ring, not quite in the same way as on my 1DX mii or 7D but still easy enough to sort the controls out, I imagine you're going for an R5 or R6mii in which chase the dial setup is pretty similar to what you have on the 5D

I bought the basic Canon one, I can change all 4 settings on the body without the control ring, not quite in the same way as on my 1DX mii or 7D but still easy enough to sort the controls out, I imagine you're going for an R5 or R6mii in which chase the dial setup is pretty similar to what you have on the 5D
yeah, I'm getting the R6ii. I looked at the R5 but it's geared more towards video and I don't need the functionality for the price tag.

Good to know it's similar to what I'm using; I'm really nervous about changing systems but my old camera feels like it's on its last legs.

It’s bringing the functionality available for RF lenses to adapted EF ones.

Would an extra programmable ring be useful for how you shoot? If not then get the basic one. Personally I use the basic adapter. It works really well.

When I first bought my F5 I had the basic adapter which worked just fine. I've since moved all my lenses over to RF and I still never use the ring on the lenses.

I'm sure they come in handy for some photographers so ask yourself of you really need the programable ring.

I was originally planning to buy the control ring adapter but was advised that a friend who had done so felt it wasn't really worth the extra cost, so went for the basic one. As said above, I've not felt I'm missing out at all - save the money!

As others, I have the standard adaptor.

However, now I have a few RF Lenses with control rings, but I haven’t used them yet.

Should I start to use the control rings on the lenses, it’ll make sense to buy the control ring adaptor. But I’m not holding my breath.

I have one of each but I have just never got used to using the ring. It is slightly heavier than the other one too IIRR.

I usually use manual mode with auto ISO and I have my control ring set to control ISO for the odd occasion, but only when I also depress the shutter button. I found it too easy to accidentally change a setting if I just used the ring as it is, hence it is a two handed operation, so to speak :)

Last edited:
I think that if I hadn’t spent the last 20+ years shooting without an aperture ring on the lens, that’s what I’d set it to.

But alas, the muscle memory:(

Cheers everyone, that's all really helpful info and you've given me plenty to think about. Much appreciated!

Basic one there and I have never felt any need or regret of not getting the 2x more expensive one.
The ones with filters do cross my mind at times. Since I don't have any bulbous lenses this would only really benefit if rear filters are so much better for ghosting and all that. But that price! Maybe as you all are dumping perfectly good ef mount lenses to get the new fancy letters Rf maybe I will pick one at bargain prices eventually unless I will be all Nikon by then which is more than likely

I've got the control ring one and it's utility definitely depends on what body you have it on. If you're limited on controls, that extra "dial" is a boon. Put it on something like an R6 Mk2 though (my daily driver) where you already have 3 dials built in, you'll find it's only useful on the times you set auto iso and want to quickly dial in some exposure compensation. Just my 2p.

I've got the control ring one and it's utility definitely depends on what body you have it on. If you're limited on controls, that extra "dial" is a boon. Put it on something like an R6 Mk2 though (my daily driver) where you already have 3 dials built in, you'll find it's only useful on the times you set auto iso and want to quickly dial in some exposure compensation. Just my 2p.
Good point, even so with a 3 dial model you can set one of the dials for that.

That is a good point as Tim says. I think the R7 has lost a few buttons and dials compared to the 7Dii, so that could make up for it.

Back