weekly Bebop's 52 for 2022 - Week 52: Showcase

Week 1: New

Here we have my pristine set of watercolour paints. They won't stay like this for long. Unfortunately I had already taken the cellophane off each of the half pans before I thought of this as a subject. Taken at f/10.

I tried a focus stack with my Canon R5 and Affinity and was not successful, so I have learnt something, which is always good. Unlike the Olympus Em1iii that I have, it won't allow me to use flash and automatically adjust the focus position. Perhaps there is a way, but it wasn't immediately apparent. Any pointers welcome.

20220109-BCR_8946_1_week01.jpg

Last edited:
I like the tight DoF, so I'm quite glad the focus stack didn't work! Sometimes I think technology tries to be too clever by half - why shouldn't you use flash and change the focus point?

Nice image and I hope the new hobby goes well (but not so well you give up the photography).

I like the tight DoF, so I'm quite glad the focus stack didn't work! Sometimes I think technology tries to be too clever by half - why shouldn't you use flash and change the focus point?

Nice image and I hope the new hobby goes well (but not so well you give up the photography).
Ha ha! Thanks Paul. I could have manually changed the focus point and used flash. I was also trying to do a double whammy where our camera club has a challenge to use a new option/ menu item on your camera. I tried without the flash but didn't cover the whole focus range - more to learn.

I'm utterly rubbish at painting so far, but I do enjoy the process even if the end result leaves a lot to be desired.

I just like to make life as difficult as possible :ROFLMAO: I did do as you said with it on a tripod and a half second exposure, but I failed to cover enough of the focal range... so it was an overall fail. I had it on almost the widest differential I could, so I suspect I still need to use something like f/10 when I'm this close to the subject, or maybe take a load more shots.

I do fancy a Fuji, but I couldn't justify yet another camera system, and any failings can only be blamed on me.

Great Colours Bebop. And Looks so new. I'm like you I like art but am terrible, I have a set of pencils I have not used since I bought them 12 years ago, I just like to look at them, then use my old ones.

I have never thought of using flash to focus stack, it's just another complication.

Pete

Really nice & colourful Be. A good start :)

Works well for me does that :)

A lovely and colourful start to your 52 Bebop. I like the composition and I think the DOF suits the subject.

I love it! Great shot, and for me, for the shot the focus is fine.
I love the tip of the brush in shot making the composition work so well.

I have had quite a lot of success using the focus stack on the R5 and then processing using the dedicated routine in Canon DPP4. Nice photo anyway.

Like it, colours and composition work well for me.

The shock of the colours against the whites/greys is really nice.

I'm not usually a fan of shallow DoF but I think it works better in this sort of shot than your focus stacking option would have.

Good pic to use to see how closely your colours appear in prints compared to the originals!!!

I was going to do a shot of a paint box but I had started to use mine, your shot is crisp, colourful and perfect. Very interesting.

That’s a nice picture especially with the tight crop and DOF. The colours make the picture pop too.

I was going to do a shot of a paint box but I had started to use mine, your shot is crisp, colourful and perfect. Very interesting.
Thanks Shirley. I was a bit stuck for ideas... and it's only week one ha ha! They do get messy quickly don't they?

That’s a nice picture especially with the tight crop and DOF. The colours make the picture pop too.
Thanks Simon. I tried a few different angles and crops. I almost went as fas as rearranging the colours :ROFLMAO:

I'm not usually a fan of shallow DoF but I think it works better in this sort of shot than your focus stacking option would have.

Good pic to use to see how closely your colours appear in prints compared to the originals!!!
Thanks Nod. Great idea - especially for printing too!

The shock of the colours against the whites/greys is really nice.
Thanks Nick. It did have a bit more impact than I expected.

Liking the colours in this Bee, I can't paint either.
Thanks Dave. I just enjoy the process... although I've only just started, so I might get fed up - we will see :)

Nice strong start - punchy colours.

I think like a few others have said, the limited focal plane helps.
Thanks Kell. Yes it's probably a good thing the stack work out :)

Great Colours Bebop. And Looks so new. I'm like you I like art but am terrible, I have a set of pencils I have not used since I bought them 12 years ago, I just like to look at them, then use my old ones.
I have never thought of using flash to focus stack, it's just another complication.

Pete
I bought the paints a while ago and twice, a course I enrolled on got cancelled, so I've only just cracked them open and started watching YouTube :) Flash is definitely just another complication!

I have had quite a lot of success using the focus stack on the R5 and then processing using the dedicated routine in Canon DPP4. Nice photo anyway.
Thanks Nick. I haven't delved into DPP for a while - thanks for the idea, I will have a look. I think I was over complicating it trying to use flash at the same time. Do you know if that is possible?

I love it! Great shot, and for me, for the shot the focus is fine.
I love the tip of the brush in shot making the composition work so well.
Great start to another 52s. I love the composition and the addition of the brush just set the image off.
Many thanks Simon and Stan. I'm glad you both liked the brush. I had a dilemma about where to put it and at what angle ha ha!

A lovely and colourful start to your 52 Bebop. I like the composition and I think the DOF suits the subject.
Thanks Pete. Yes I think it's lucky th stack didn't work out :)

I like the composition, the selective focus and the colours - great image!

Great shot Bebop, great colours, focus is spot on, great depth of field. I like it a lot.

That works so well with the dof and the focus point on a bright colour. Nice one. Seems a shame to use them!

Nice shot. I'm on the fence regarding focus/DOF.

That works so well with the dof and the focus point on a bright colour. Nice one. Seems a shame to use them!
Thanks Helen - I know what you mean. They will look messy soon enough :)

Nice shot. I'm on the fence regarding focus/DOF.
Thanks Brian - I'm afraid I can't put forward the stack for comparison - it's deleted now, but it didn't cover enough focal range. I will have another go at the process at some point.... Or just use my Olympus where I know what I'm doing :ROFLMAO:

Week 02: Old

I was a bit torn. My old paint set was the obvious choice (although I was given it, so it is quite new to me). However I couldn't resist the chance to share what is affectionately known in our household as a fossilised dinosaur tur*. It is a bit small for a dinosaur to be fair, at about 15-20cm long, but it is a fossilised something we think. I will check with our local expert when I next see him. It is old.

This is a jpeg that was stacked in camera using studio flash - an interesting exercise in trying to show the texture.

20220120-BC134517_week02.jpg

And here was the alternative, but perhaps a bit obvious after last week - the old paint set.. A dark background might have worked better with hindsight.

20220120-BC134450_1_week02.jpg

Yep, that’s definitely a fossilised…something :) Really like the lighting on this, very balanced, very clean.

It's definitely old! You've brought out the texture nicely and the stacking has worked well.

I'm not sure it's a coprolite - it certainly doesn't look like the one I passed earlier bought a few years ago (to prove that turds could be polished!!!) My guess would be a piece of wood/fern but that's only a guess. Please let us know if/when the mystery is solved!

As others have said, well lit and processed and definitely old!

Yep, that’s definitely a fossilised…something :) Really like the lighting on this, very balanced, very clean.
Thank you. Yes the lighting was a bit trickier than I thought it would be.

It's definitely old! You've brought out the texture nicely and the stacking has worked well.
Thanks Pete

A coprolite - that's old!
Ha now I shall be off to Wikipedia... there's always more to learn :)

Edit: Well fancy there being a name for just that!! Thank you for educating me!

I'm not sure it's a coprolite - it certainly doesn't look like the one I passed earlier bought a few years ago (to prove that turds could be polished!!!) My guess would be a piece of wood/fern but that's only a guess. Please let us know if/when the mystery is solved!

As others have said, well lit and processed and definitely old!
Made me chuckle. I have resisted other jokes about my sh*t photo :ROFLMAO: It does seem quite like a branch. It's very heavy and is rather tactile. For a little while I had a number of 120 million year old fossils in the house, but sadly because I was away for a few days I missed my chance to photograph them. Hopefully I will have another chance one day. I shall ask my friend when I see him. Actually I'll put this pic on my phone in case I bump into him.

Last edited:
Back