weekly Bebop's 52 for 2017 thread - week 52 Weather - done

Silky Smooth with that well-chosen backdrop - excellent lighting too :clap:

Thanks @Dave70D and @SteveSc. I've never tried photographing glass before - yes trickier than I thought! I might try and do more flash for these themes and improve my skills.

I'm feeling guilty I haven't had time to comment on everyone's photos. I can see there are some crackers in the thread

I'm feeling guilty I haven't had time to comment on everyone's photos. I can see there are some crackers in the thread

One thing I learnt from trying to do the 52 last year is that I just don't have time to comment on everyone's posts. I felt bad about it last year and was probably one of the reasons I ended up stopping but this year have decided just to make sure that I comment on some each week, that way hopefully I can comment on most peoples thread at least a few times through the year.

One thing I learnt from trying to do the 52 last year is that I just don't have time to comment on everyone's posts. I felt bad about it last year and was probably one of the reasons I ended up stopping but this year have decided just to make sure that I comment on some each week, that way hopefully I can comment on most peoples thread at least a few times through the year.
That sounds like a good plan! There is feeling that I'm failing, not only with keeping up with images, but just participating.

I've just spotted your structure one... which is awfully similar to one I was thinking I could do 'in house' :D I'll have to try a different pattern!

Very unforgiving these damn camera sensors ... as I discovered too when shooting a crystal ornament the other week. Nevertheless, nicely taken for Mineral and looks good against that plain black bg.

Hey there BeBop.

Hairy - An oldie many, but certainly a goody. Nicely on theme, well controlled noise and action too boot. :)
Smooth - I'm not sure anything by Kenco can really be called smooth, but it works well for the theme. Nicely captured textures in the background, which suits the theme too.
Mineral - Well executed. Detail in most of the facets, with only a couple reflecting too much light (I can't see how you would avoid that). I can't help thinking that the background for your coffee shot would have looked more appropriate in this shot than the black background.

Hang on in there :) very few people comment on every one each week, just add a like to the main thread if something catches your eye, that's always appreciated.

You're right about the macro and diamonds ..it does show up every flaw, you're brave to go in so close, it works well against the black.
Great idea for routine, I really like it ...absolutely perfect for the theme and the movement is really well captured.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to comment.
Very unforgiving these damn camera sensors ... as I discovered too when shooting a crystal ornament the other week. Nevertheless, nicely taken for Mineral and looks good against that plain black bg.
Mineral, great BG sets off the mineral ring very nicely, don`t you just love a macro lens to show things up :)
Yes I was shocked at the detail! One diamond had dropped out already and I can see another claw is ready to break :eek: It's been great playing with the macro lens for this. Background was the fleecy lining of some trousers and a tad tricky to get it to hold the ring in the right place!

Hairy is a great shot, Smooth, I like your silky back ground.
Smooth - Nicely lighting and sharp focus, the background suits it really well (y)
Thank you - I had terrible trouble with shadows thrown by the use of flash, but it's been a learning process.
Love that idea and you've captured it well. Good movement inside the machine and a good minimalist shot of the outside.
Routine washing, like it as you have got the blur just right :)
Thank you both.
I spent some time with the tripod getting it at 1/30s and then it the cycle speeded up which made things a bit easier. The spin was too fast ha ha!! I really must start cleaning things before I take photos of them though!
Hang on in there :) very few people comment on every one each week, just add a like to the main thread if something catches your eye, that's always appreciated.

You're right about the macro and diamonds ..it does show up every flaw, you're brave to go in so close, it works well against the black.
Great idea for routine, I really like it ...absolutely perfect for the theme and the movement is really well captured.
Thank you. Yes I have been adding a few likes now. There are some great photos in the thread, but I must comment on a few this evening!
Hey there BeBop.

Hairy - An oldie many, but certainly a goody. Nicely on theme, well controlled noise and action too boot. :)
Smooth - I'm not sure anything by Kenco can really be called smooth, but it works well for the theme. Nicely captured textures in the background, which suits the theme too.
Mineral - Well executed. Detail in most of the facets, with only a couple reflecting too much light (I can't see how you would avoid that). I can't help thinking that the background for your coffee shot would have looked more appropriate in this shot than the black background.
Thanks. I was just making the builders a coffee thinking what can I photograph, and there it was, right in front of me :D so I grabbed my camera, whipped off my nighty, and... only joking :D:D:D although the first bit is true (y)

I twisted the ring a bit to try to stop the specular highlights, but it was impossible to get none. Interesting idea of using the silky background. I might give the ring a proper clean and try it again, good idea!

Routine works nicely. As others have said, you've got enough blur to show the motion.
It must have a bit of a struggle to get the outside of the washing machine that sharp whilst it's in use, I know ours vibrates a bit when working.
Only concern would be that the lighting isn't even, and you lose the camera left side of the door, which tends to make it look off centre in the frame.

Like the simplicity of routine and the tight crop around the washer door

i'll be honest...i'd have like to have seen more round the edges of Routine. i feel the door shadow is being lost.. overall though epic shot for its simplicity (y)

Nice composition and lighting. Works well mono.

Thankyou @Dark Knight @Paulie-W @Hertsman @SamuelSlade007 @sirch @Emja @LC2 for taking the time to comment. I've been away from home so much this year I am really struggling to keep up! I'm not giving up yet though... hopefully in another month things will get easier, and I'll have more time to comment too.

Flash is still a bit of a mystery to me too @Emja but I hope this 52 will make me improve.

I had a number of more complicated routine pics in mind, but plumped for this, after over feeding my goldfish! :D

Hi @Bebop,
Structure - I like the way you've used the rail as a leading line, you've certainly considered the composition of the shot.
Good colours, plenty of DoF to allow you to look around the image.
:)
Numbers - I don't know that you're off the vertical, certainly not on the LHS anyway. A close up like that is always going to have perspective issues. FWIW, it took about 5 seconds in PS's transform tool to straighten the rhs so that it was vertical, have a play and see what you can achieve :)

I like your structure very much. (Almost) perfect symmetry and great PoV. And perfect weather :)

You are all managing so much better than me to keep up! I'm swimming under the surface, but not giving up yet :D Thank you for commenting!

Hi @Bebop,
Structure - I like the way you've used the rail as a leading line, you've certainly considered the composition of the shot.
Good colours, plenty of DoF to allow you to look around the image.
:)
Numbers - I don't know that you're off the vertical, certainly not on the LHS anyway. A close up like that is always going to have perspective issues. FWIW, it took about 5 seconds in PS's transform tool to straighten the rhs so that it was vertical, have a play and see what you can achieve :)
I'd forgotten about the tool in Lightroom! I had to wait a while so no-one was in my 'Structure' shot.

Love the Structure shot, how the eye just looks and follows the railing from bottom to top, good clear shot :)

Numbers looks good to me, and like the pov :)
Thank you :)

I like your structure very much. (Almost) perfect symmetry and great PoV. And perfect weather :)
Thank you. I was visiting relatives (and taking in the Photography Show) and this was the only fine day so I was looking for opportunities for the TP52. I did spot it wasn't perfectly symmetrical after I'd posted it ha ha! :mad::D

A bit of a quick catch up from me I really like your image for structure and numbers, all the images fit the theme nicely.
Thanks Mandy - you're ahead of me. I really need to catch up!!

Last edited:
Well done for hanging in there, and don't give up! Having almost completed my own mega catch-up, this is my first visit since the first week (still love that misty landscape!) so there are a few images to see. My favourites so far are the bold cubes on the black background in Order, especially well done when away from home, the coffee and ideal backdrop for Smooth, the perfect subject and motion in Routine, and the striking shot for Structure, with the steps leading up to the memorial set against that great sky. Keep going :clap:

Like Above, a nice shot having the gulls,plane and moon in the frame :)
Thanks Dave. I've just had trouble remembering how to link it all together - doh! Bottom of the class ha ha :)

Well done for hanging in there, and don't give up! Having almost completed my own mega catch-up, this is my first visit since the first week (still love that misty landscape!) so there are a few images to see. My favourites so far are the bold cubes on the black background in Order, especially well done when away from home, the coffee and ideal backdrop for Smooth, the perfect subject and motion in Routine, and the striking shot for Structure, with the steps leading up to the memorial set against that great sky. Keep going :clap:
Yes, hanging by my teeth now :D I'm going for the interesting order - trying really hard not to resort to archive pictures. Well done you for catching up on so many weeks and thank you for taking the time to comment!!
Onward and upward.....

Back