After advice please, anyone ever photographed London on NYE?

Edit My Images
No
Hello there

So, really this is a bit of a late post to say the least. Im thinking of trying to photograph the fireworks on the Thames on new years eve on Friday. Id love to know if anyone has tried it before, what it was like and is it a good or bad idea? or slightly bonkers being there will be alot of people! :wacky:

Cheers

S

I have never tried before but have attended all the good displays at some point in time. So can offer two words of wisdom

- I think the best site for setting up would be by the Eye/ southbank / maybe Embankment

- get there EARLY.. I am honestly talking like 5/6pm as the crowd will quickly reach thousands and trying to setup a tripod in the midst of all that will be impossible. Get there early at the front and stake claim to some ground. A chap last year also wore a reflective coat thing (like a steward / someone official) so people gave him more room and moved when he politely asked

Last edited:
I have never tried before but have attended all the good displays at some point in time. So can offer two words of wisdom

- I think the best site for setting up would be by the Eye/ southbank / maybe Embankment

- get there EARLY.. I am honestly talking like 5/6pm as the crowd will quickly reach thousands and trying to setup a tripod in the midst of all that will be impossible. Get there early at the front and stake claim to some ground. A chap last year also wore a reflective coat thing (like a steward / someone official) so people gave him more room and moved when he politely asked

Thanks Mel, getting there early is a good idea, I was a bit concerned re the numbers and my camera/triopd etc...

the reflective coat is genius! not sure Id have the "balls" to carry it off! lol.....

thanks! (y)

Sara

I went there twice, 2007 and 2008; both times were amazingly cold and crowded.

As suggested, the Embankment is the best place to be. In 2007, I wasn't well prepared for the cold and crowd, or the long wait. You have to keep in mind that the police close off entry by 8pm (or thereabouts), so make sure you're at the Embankment before then. If you want a vintage view point, then you'll need to go early and do take warm clothes, water, something to eat and a three-leged stool.

Don't think of trying to buy anything from a pub or a fast food outlet, the queue is just unbearably long; hence why I suggest take food and drink with you.

A better view point is to book a cruise boat dinner. That's what I did for 2008. How expensive you opt to go is up to you, some are relatively cheap and some can go up to £500 per person; but these are well worth every penny. Good food, drinks, amazing viewing deck, and lots of happy folks to dance with.

I went there twice, 2007 and 2008; both times were amazingly cold and crowded.

As suggested, the Embankment is the best place to be. In 2007, I wasn't well prepared for the cold and crowd, or the long wait. You have to keep in mind that the police close off entry by 8pm (or thereabouts), so make sure you're at the Embankment before then. If you want a vintage view point, then you'll need to go early and do take warm clothes, water, something to eat and a three-leged stool.

Don't think of trying to buy anything from a pub or a fast food outlet, the queue is just unbearably long; hence why I suggest take food and drink with you.

A better view point is to book a cruise boat dinner. That's what I did for 2008. How expensive you opt to go is up to you, some are relatively cheap and some can go up to £500 per person; but these are well worth every penny. Good food, drinks, amazing viewing deck, and lots of happy folks to dance with.

Thanks ! The boat is certainly an interesting idea and u would get a very different point of view to shoot. It's sounding a lot like I need to set up camp with food and drink lol...no toilet breaks either I guess ! :cautious:Def a lot more to consider than I first thought .

Thanks
(y)

Last edited:
There will be loads of portable toilet booths all over the place; however, there will be a very looooong queue. I wouldn't want to be holding it while waiting in that queue.

For 2007, we had a very good sitting spot on the Embankment facing the London Eye; but because it was our first time there, and we weren't well prepared, we walked back to our flat before midnight. We didn't want to risk drinking, in case we'd need the loo, and we started to get a bit too hungry. Yes, the crowd does get a bit too much, especially the drunks. So, we didn't get to see the fireworks from there. However, there's plenty to see all over London at that time of the year.

For 2008 we opted for the boat cruise, and that was just perfect. It was a rather expensive option, but we figured how many times we'd be in London for the New Year, and said "what the heck".

I'd highly recommend the boat option; and it's not too late, but they do get pricy at this late time ... well worth every penny.

Oh, a mono-pod would do you well, or a reasonable beanbag, in case you can't take the tripod.

There will be loads of portable toilet booths all over the place; however, there will be a very looooong queue. I wouldn't want to be holding it while waiting in that queue.

For 2007, we had a very good sitting spot on the Embankment facing the London Eye; but because it was our first time there, and we weren't well prepared, we walked back to our flat before midnight. We didn't want to risk drinking, in case we'd need the loo, and we started to get a bit too hungry. Yes, the crowd does get a bit too much, especially the drunks. So, we didn't get to see the fireworks from there. However, there's plenty to see all over London at that time of the year.

For 2008 we opted for the boat cruise, and that was just perfect. It was a rather expensive option, but we figured how many times we'd be in London for the New Year, and said "what the heck".

I'd highly recommend the boat option; and it's not too late, but they do get pricy at this late time ... well worth every penny.

Oh, a mono-pod would do you well, or a reasonable beanbag, in case you can't take the tripod.

Thanks Wail, Ill see how the land lies tomorrow I think and make a decision, Id be going on my own so Im not sure if the crowds maybe too much.... maybe get organised for next year and find a boat!

Have a great new year(y)

Any updates from people that went to the fireworks since they started charging? I have tickets for the Blue Zone opposite the London Eye - will be my first time.

I often thought about doing this myself but I after a few experiences this year taking photos around 5th November, I don't think i'd be able to stand it.

On the second night, I went to a local football ground where I was moved all over the place by the stewards, before eventually plotting up by some wheelie bins to give me sanctuary from a couple of sides. That said, I still got the tripod knocked a fair few times and it had me on edge thinking someone was going to kick £3k worth of gear to the floor.

That said, I got some great images (I.M.O.) for my second attempt. Just random styles and colours and absolutely nothing like the experts efforts, but I guess it depends what you want from your trip. I'm sure the London ones will be much more 'clean', symmetrical and expensive and showy, so if you do go, you'll hit the jackpot

thumb_FB.008_1024.jpg thumb_FB.014_1024.jpg thumb_FB.023_1024.jpg thumb_FB.014_1024.jpg

For those that have braved London, you have my full appreciation and good luck to those that have a go this year too

Last edited:
I do a bit of stock photography and was tipped off to the power of Hi Viz early on. You can actually order hi viz waistcoat type things off ebay with "security" on them. Not breaking any rules AFAIK (it's not impersonating a police officer or anything!) but mine has worked wonders for me in terms of being able to get on with taking shots in places where i'd otherwise get questioned. We're so used to "official" people wearing hi viz that it basically makes you invisible ;)

Reactions: dkh
Back