weekly Alet's 52 for 2015 - Week 8: Relaxed

Watery - I like this. It has a lot of potential. Maybe a mono shot with a good dose of contrast and maybe a hint of noise would work...?

Bold - This one isn't working for me either I'm afraid. Sorry :(

Hi Alet

Watery I like.....but can't quite say why , like that it's not central & I like the glint of light on the base of the 1st fountain :)

Companions - The chickens brought a smile to my face. I’m not convinced our dogs would allow that

Elegant - White against white brings an elegant feel. Some of the petals are a little darker than others which takes away from the theme slightly. I may have gone for an odd number of flowers as well - something about groups of odd numbers for some reason attract the eye more.

Watery - I like this an kind of has an atmospheric feel to it because of the watery mist form the fountains

Bold - Not as keen on this one I’m afraid although I am wondering what that pair are doing

Thank you everybody for looking, and for your comments.

I do like your watery image, I know you said about the lighter grass in the background, and think a conversion to mono would be the solution. It would emphasise the repeating pattern more too, which I really like about the image.
I tried that, sadly, but the lighter grass still bothers me... I'll just have to keep trying at different times of the day (and hopefully the dark trees in the background will cast their shadow in the right direction).

Watery I like the concept but I think its a bit dark and flat.
I doubt that a re-shoot is possible, but I think that you would have been better off using a long exposure rather
than a stopper. Just my opinion of course :)
The aim was to try and use a long exposure (it was 45s). It is a bit dark - so I guess that means I should have tried a longer exposure. More practice needed methinks.

Companions - The chickens brought a smile to my face. I’m not convinced our dogs would allow that

Elegant - White against white brings an elegant feel. Some of the petals are a little darker than others which takes away from the theme slightly. I may have gone for an odd number of flowers as well - something about groups of odd numbers for some reason attract the eye more.
Yeah, our dogs (two greyhounds) have calmed down A LOT in recent years. Elegant - it was just a spur-of-the moment shot really, at a club evening (using somebody else's lightbox and flowers). Had I known it would come out as nicely as it has, I would have spent a bit more time on it. I keep meaning to go back and process to see if I can get more from the colours.

It seems a number of people didn't think my "Bold" image fit the theme. I took the image as those two were line dancing (as far as we could tell) in the only open space for miles around on a busy Saturday morning in a notoriously congested car park (I had to crop the image a lot to get rid of waiting cars and people). We initially thought they were two teenagers but they are actually two adults, and the last I saw of them they were skipping down the road, hand in hand. This is pretty unusual/bold in my book, but it seems what was powerful to me didn't come across that way in the image. Something for me to think about, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Relax - there is just something about puzzles I find relaxing I have several my self. That puzzle shows plenty of nice brightly coloured jelly beans, I rather like it my only niggle is the lack of space to the right side of the image. I would like to see a little bit more space.

Nice vibrant colours in the puzzle, not really my idea of relax, looking at that puzzle I think it may send me mental. Nice shot.

Cracking image, but that particular puzzle would not relax me inthe slightest :LOL:

Not my idea of relaxing if I'm honest. When I first saw this I thought it was for bold (works on many levels). However I do like the shot, the bold colours really bring the image to life (y)

I'd find more relaxation moving 100 ping pong balls from one bowl to another then back again rather than do a jigsaw puzzle like that. Still, each to their own but....why? :banana:

Assuming you really, really find this relaxing then top marks for an imaginative entry to the theme.

:D:D

Last edited:
I think they're kind of relaxing ... so, on theme.

The image is a bit uniform for my un-OCD ... I might have cropped it so there's no BG visible top and left.

Colourful and nicely composed, Alet.
But am I the only one that doesn't find those things relaxing? :D

Hi Alet, my first thought was the same as Chris Heathcote - it's a great image for bold, a good image in any case, I'm just not getting a relaxed feel - sorry

:agree: I thought this was bold and again I hate jigsaws with a passion but I got the link with just a few pieces to go you can almost relax :clap:
As for the picture its self nothing to crit i think its nicely taken (y)

Back