Alternative RIAT viewing locations

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
Going to RIAT tomorrow, but thinking of not buying a ticket and staying outside the airfield.
Anyone know of any decent locations near the airfield for good views?

TIA

Not so good view of the airfield, but used to be good for the fly overs is the walk from the village down the banks of the river. Park in the center of the village on High Street, then walk down Back Lane which is off the A417 running through the village.

Lovely walk at the best of times, but you get some very low flypasts on RIAT days. There used to be a lake near the end of the straight section of the walk that I used to camp next to with my bike. On days like this, I used to ride my bike through the lake to cool off!
Havent been there for many years, so not sure what its like now.
If you hit the lake and turn right over the bridge over the river, you eventually hit the perimiter fence, but you cant see a great deal as its the wrong end. Its the second bridge on the walk, the first is near the start and goes into a playing field. Keep straight on past all the lovely houses that back onto the river.

You'll probably have to stay outside as i saw a tweet today from them saying all tickets are sold and asking people not to turn up without tickets.

Excellent info, thanks mate will bear that in mind. Going to try one of the farms, but I'll be there quite late, so your idea may be the only option!

Thanks again

The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust thank those who actually pay to watch their efforts.

The Royal Air Force Charitable Trust thank those who actually pay to watch their efforts.

So you are saying you believe it immoral to watch aircraft from a public place?

Not everyone wants to spend £50 to be crammed into an airfield and ripped off on drink and food.. Some people want to enjoy the countryside and watch some aircraft that happen to be flying around overhead.

You must be involved with the Welshpool show.. Increasing the price at the gate because too many people are choosing to watch from the mountains rather than pay to go in.

When you stage an outdoor event, its inevitable that some people will see it from outside the paid arena. I'm pretty sure the trust make good money, have you ever seen how much it costs to run a small stall the for the weekend? The aviation museum charity I'm involved with had to stop going as it cost more to have the stall there than we could ever hope to make back on the weekend.

Think you are wasting your breath Tom....

Anyway, discovered Rhymes farm and WOW incredible!!
Ringside views for a fraction of the price.

Happy days!!

to be honest i was a bit disappointed with RIAT this year i think the americans pulling out spoilt it a bit
i don't mind the entrance fee but considering i'm traveling nearly 2 hundred miles to get there i really do want to be at the side of that runway and see all the show has to offer

no idea what the fields have to offer but if for some reason i couldn't get a ticket i would in one of them fields somewhere :)

I have to agree actually.

Although I didn't arrive until 1130, I did think the flying display was a bit poor, certainly on Sunday.

But on a separate note, Rhymes farm is utterly incredible! Sorry RIAT, but I shall never again pay to go inside, the views from Rhymes is a million times better. You are literally yards from the main taxiway, and not much further from the runway.

The planes fly directly over your head. At one point, one of the reds done a low (VERY LOW!) fly past over us. Like 100 ft maybe less.
That's something you don't get when inside the show.
Also when the Typhoon is buzzing overhead, low altitude and full reheat, now that's a feeling!!

I have to agree actually.

Although I didn't arrive until 1130, I did think the flying display was a bit poor, certainly on Sunday.

But on a separate note, Rhymes farm is utterly incredible! Sorry RIAT, but I shall never again pay to go inside, the views from Rhymes is a million times better. You are literally yards from the main taxiway, and not much further from the runway.

The planes fly directly over your head. At one point, one of the reds done a low (VERY LOW!) fly past over us. Like 100 ft maybe less.
That's something you don't get when inside the show.
Also when the Typhoon is buzzing overhead, low altitude and full reheat, now that's a feeling!!

im considering going to rhymes farm tomorrow. one concern i have is i will be going with my 10 month old daughter. she does have ear defenders and we go to alot of motorsport etc. will this be too loud for her?

many thanks. again im travelling a long way for this

Been to rhymes today, fantastic place to be for viewing the planes as they fly directly overhead.
The loudest today were the Typhoon / F-18 /Gryffen.
I would definately take ear defenders for the children, maybe also for the adults.

On a couple of the F-18 passes i had to stop taking pics and put my fingers in my ears. seriously loud but awesome as well :)

Back