Am I alone or in a minority

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Looking at the equipment of other users of this forum I appear to be the only one using a Bridge Camera and a Compact Digital.
Is there anyone else out there who has not yet gone down the DSLR route. (i am no ludite, I just can't afford one yet)

I've been using a bridge and a pocket compact for years, but have only taken a step onto the DSLR route this year with a second hand Canon 350D that was too cheap to refuse. Its now going to cost me a small fortune in lenses and accessories though. :puke:
At the moment my pocket camera is still getting the most use because its more convenient and I haven't built up much of a lens collection for the SLR yet.
I no longer have the bridge camera though as I passed it on to my sister for her to use.

Looking at the equipment of other users of this forum I appear to be the only one using a Bridge Camera and a Compact Digital.
Is there anyone else out there who has not yet gone down the DSLR route. (i am no ludite, I just can't afford one yet)

If you're a luddite using a bridge camera, I dread to think what that makes me, using a Film Pinhole Camera :LOL:

:agree:

Its what you can do with it that counts - I've seen some amazing pictures taken from Nikons D40 (entry level) dslr that give the top notch Nikons costing double with a "0" added at the end of the D40 price a run for their money..

I use a Kodak bridge camera and love it. Still thinking about a DSLR though.

Started with a Panasonic FZ-8 a great bridge camera.

Then I bought a dSLR to get better shots of the paintwork on my car after polishing it (detailing geek)... Now, I've spent thousands on camera stuff I can barely afford shampoo to clean my car. :bang:

Everytime I drive to work or just look at my car I want to sell the whole lot and buy a half decent compact/bridge so I can blow the money on my car, but at the same time love photography. Grrr, two expensive hobbies + one overworked/underpaid job = mental torture. :crying:

Hi Martin, this is the photography forum, not the dslr forum, like the other Martin, had a FZ8, great bridge camera very versatile lens for very close up macro as would focus from about 2cm from memory and good zoom. Then decided that I wanted a dslr so got my d3000........thats just the start! lenses, more lenses, filters, macro tubes, filters, etc..etc, then you need a bigger camera bag/rucksack. Now I fancy upgrading my camera! Think i need counselling! Getting back to bridge cameras, think they are getting better and better and may soon be snapping at the heels of dslr's (if not already), they do often have a limited aperture range though.
But at the end of the day, it just seems to feel good using a dslr, and they are what bridge cameras are chasing/catching? Whether bridge or dslr, its what you point it at that really matters.

I used a fuji S9600 bridge camera for a couple of years before moving to DSLR.

They are an excellent way of getting used to manual settings and more DSLR like handling before making a large investment in better set ups.

It seems from the comments on this thread that I am not necessarily considered the underdog.

Thanks for your replies.

Martin

I wouldn't say underdog, but the truth is that 90% of the posts on here are about DSLRs, even though most DSLR users also own a compact.

Of course everyone is welcome, but from your personal point of view, you will inevitably feel left out of a lot of discussion.

Photographic principles are the same of course :)

I still have, and use my Olympus C5050z bridge camera. However getting to grips with a complex DSLR has helped use the Olympus to better effect, and by reading a lot of the technical discussions onn here you'll pick up a much better understanding of how your camera works and how to use it.

Steve

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

It seems from the comments on this thread that I am not necessarily considered the underdog.

Thanks for your replies.

Martin

Marts,don't be daft, you are definitely not an underdog. This is a cross section of photography with a lot of people either owing or having owned compacts, bridge cameras, SLRs & DSLRs.

Enjoy & learn from here

I agree with Johnb above,you can learn loads here whatever type of camera you use....if in doubt ask as there's always someone that will help,at least that's what i have found in my time here.

All to many of us, me included get carried away with equipment - not to say that it isn't used or even needed at times, but I imagine many of us don't use what we have to its full potential...

I am running a photography course for 10 year old's who all own compact cameras, and none of whom have ever taken them off auto - it is a struggle to make them think, and while setting them themes and projects it seemed only fair that I used my old compact.
It is limiting in some ways, but it is also great mental exercise as I am having to think harder and find different ways of achieving the pictures, so maybe in some ways it can be an advantage...
Right, must pack my 5 1dsmk1v's into the bag with the 18 lenses I need for todays snap of a rotting leaf....

Nothing wrong with bridge cameras, I only bought my DSLR a few months back but I have still kept my two bridge cameras (Fuji 8000fd and Fuji 9500) both excellent cameras and the 8000fd is very good at macro shots

These were all taken with the Fuji 9500 which cost me £50 off ebay (y) I see they are going for a LOT more these days, maybe people have realised how good they are

Field%20of%20Corn.jpg

Snowy%20Forest%20Trail.jpg

Unused%20Track.jpg

New%20Day.jpg

This (and many other macro photos) was taken on the Fuji 8000fd

GRASS%20BUG.jpg

Last edited:
I bought my other half a Lumix FZ38 last year and it's a fantastic camera. She has got some great results with it some of which are being exhibited by the local arts group. Having thousands of pounds worth of equipment doesn't make you a photographer.

Nope I know of others and TBH I drag out mine now and again as its less bulk.

T

I've got the Fuji S100FS as a spare now, it's a great camera. Superb noise, even at 1600-3200.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using TP Forums

It is very impressive. Just can't seem to find any program that will open it's raw files - iPhoto, Aperture, Cs - nope! Even converting them to dng does nothing :thinking:

There's nothing wrong with a compact or bridge camera! often they're better suited for the job, I once read about a Magnum photographer using one as they were more discreet and people felt less threatened by them.

Frankly I wish I had a compact or bridge cam to take around with me. I don't have nearly as much gear as I used to but my camera bag still weighs a ton!

It is very impressive. Just can't seem to find any program that will open it's raw files - iPhoto, Aperture, Cs - nope! Even converting them to dng does nothing :thinking:

Is that the Hyper-Utility Software ? I am sure I had some fuji software around somewhere :thinking: maybe only the viewing software though I will have to check

I agree with the view that it isn't the camera that matters but what you do with it.

My first digital camera was a bridge camera, a Fuji S602, and it took lovely pictures but the metering and focus were so slow that it was absolutely useless for anything even thinking about moving and manual focus was pretty difficult as there was so much movement on the focus ring, also the EVF wasn't brilliant but the actual pictures were fine.

If more modern bridge cameras have fixed those problems or they aren't an issue for the user then they must make a perfectly valid choice, if noise and DoF are ok too.

I agree with the view that it isn't the camera that matters but what you do with it.

My first digital camera was a bridge camera, a Fuji S602, and it took lovely pictures but the metering and focus were so slow that it was absolutely useless for anything even thinking about moving and manual focus was pretty difficult as there was so much movement on the focus ring, also the EVF wasn't brilliant but the actual pictures were fine.

If more modern bridge cameras have fixed those problems or they aren't an issue for the user then they must make a perfectly valid choice, if noise and DoF are ok too.

I think the camera that fixes all those things, and is also much smaller and lighter than a DSLR, is called a MILC - mirrorless interchangeale lens camera. Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. Much better image quality too.

Started with a bridge, think it was a fujifilm 430 or 340 (it was bulky but had x6 optical and 4 megapixels).

Upgraded to a Konica Minolta 5d as it gave you more control and 6 mega pixels... or something around that. Plus it was end of line and I found a 24mm lens on ebay for 30ukp :)

After a few years that started playing up so upgraded again to a d300, chopped almost all the previous kit to get a 105mm macro :)

Now gazing enviously at the d700 and d7000 hehe ... not gonna happen

A DSLR isn't the be all and end all of photography. A lot of users ( me included) have had dslr's for years and have now sold them and use different types. Micro 4/3rds has a big following of ex dslr users and there are more cameras coming along with large APS-C size sensors that will outperform many of the higher end dslr's without the weight and bulk and sometimes sheer inconvenience of lugging around a rucksack full of gear..
So, don't be blinkered thinking you have go down that route to upgrade from a bridge camera. theres a lot of choice out there.
Allan

Last edited:
Adam,

I also have a Fuji S9600 bridge camera I bought in 2007 and it has been a fantastic camera. Since going full DSLR last September, I don't use it now and will probably be putting it up for sale rather than let it just sit around gathering dust. But it was a great buy before making the leap to a good DSLR.

I shoot on a bridge!! S9600 for me, still learning....

I'm currently looking at "upgrading" to a dSLR. I've currently got a FZ-28 and some of the images it is capable of producing are really good - combined with the added benefit that it is a lot smaller and lighter than a dSLR and the focal range and zoom is immense.

When I look at what I paid for it, compared to what I will eventually end up paying for a dSLR and several lenses it almost makes me want to carry on within the limitations of what I've already got! I find with the FZ-28 it's very easy to take (as an extremely amateur photographer) what I think are quite good photographs. The Nikon D200 dSLR I'm borrowing at the moment takes a lot more "work" to use in general, and the images aren't comparing at the moment - obviously this is entirely due to the fool trying to operate the camera rather than the camera itself, but it does show how easy and capable (in real life situations) most bridging cameras are these days.

I think the camera that fixes all those things, and is also much smaller and lighter than a DSLR, is called a MILC - mirrorless interchangeale lens camera. Olympus, Panasonic, Sony and Samsung. Much better image quality too.

I know, I have one :)

Some of my own favourite photo's were taken with a bridge camera (Canon S3iS) before I started to take a real interest in photography. I've printed a couple of them out at A4 size for a friend after the concert and, although a bit noisy, they looked fine :)

I was never that bothered about not having RAW files as I never really did any editing with the shots, I've only just bought PS Elements 9 & some books on it and I haven't got a clue where to start with it!

These were taken from about 5 rows + stage/pit area of the arena at Newcastle.

1434198437_31ff781322.jpg

1434199563_815cb72732.jpg

Nothing wrong with bridge cameras, I only bought my DSLR a few months back but I have still kept my two bridge cameras (Fuji 8000fd and Fuji 9500) both excellent cameras and the 8000fd is very good at macro shots

These were all taken with the Fuji 9500 which cost me £50 off ebay (y) I see they are going for a LOT more these days, maybe people have realised how good they are

Very impressive images John, even more so that they were taken with a £50 camera. Thanks for commenting and showing whats possible.

Martin

Some of my own favourite photo's were taken with a bridge camera (Canon S3iS) before I started to take a real interest in photography. I've printed a couple of them out at A4 size for a friend after the concert and, although a bit noisy, they looked fine :)

I was never that bothered about not having RAW files as I never really did any editing with the shots, I've only just bought PS Elements 9 & some books on it and I haven't got a clue where to start with it!

Nice clear images Pui. Thanks for showing them.

Martin

I was looking at the images on a calendar produced by Joe Cornish,a landscape photgrapher based in the northeast who has done commerial work for the National Trust and others.
Under the images are details of the cameras used such as Linof 5x4 view cameras, Hasselblads and one image was taken on a Panasonic LX3.

So a guy who produces images for a living uses a P&S compact. Its not the camera its the photographer.(y)

Best wishes, Mark

Very impressive images John, even more so that they were taken with a £50 camera. Thanks for commenting and showing whats possible.

Martin

Thank you, and thanks for being the first to comment... I have actually sold copies of those images (a few times) but always nice to hear feedback (y)

I see you have a Konica Minolta, I also had one of those before the Fuji and again a really good camera. Also Excellent for Macro work, I took the dragonfly below with mine
(yes it was alive - and watching me closely)

DRAGONFLY1.jpg

Last edited:
Back