Am I being ripped off? Opinion sought...

Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
In 2005, I purchased an Omega Speedmaster chronograph from a national chain local to me. It cost, if I recall correctly, around £1100.

A short while ago it stopped - on my wrist.
Rotating it gently to exercise the autowinder mechanism, a slight rasping or grating noise could be discerned.

I took it back to the same store it was bought from to get it repaired.
They were happy to oblige... Send it to Omega or they would do it themselves - very little difference in price - money upfront please.

It was the price which unnerved me, £390 - or around 35% of the price I paid for it - albeit eight years ago.
It *FEELS* like I'm being ripped off.

Until recently, there was a good independent watch repairer close to me who has since retired. Hence I thought the shop I bought it from was the best option.

Anyone care to offer their thoughts?

Did you not obtain alternative quotes?

Regrettably no. I just wanted it done. Mea Culpa.

Well I would certainly visit at least to other establishments. Clock and watch repairs are certainly not cheap (I am a clock collector) but your quote does seem high. But then that depends on what has broken.

If it helps I have an Omega Seamaster (it was my 21st birthday present a while ago), when the battery runs out on it, which seems to be every few years, it can cost me £100 to get the battery replaced if they send it off to Omega.

When they get sent off to Omega, they replace all the seals etc that make them waterproof.

Hope that puts the price in perspective :)

I had a similar situation, an expensive watch given to me as 40th birthday present became unreliable after 12 years. I took it to a local shop, they could not repair it themselves but would send it back to the manufacturer. I didn't have to pay in advance, after a couple of weeks they gave me an estimate from the manufacturer of nearly £600, more than a third of the purchase price, the repair was to take 10 weeks!

I could have sent it to an "unofficial" repair centre and it would have been cheaper, but they would not have access to parts from the manufacturer, so there was a potential risk of a poor quality repair. I decided to go for the "branded" repair as the watch was a special gift and I wanted to keep it in good order.

So I agreed to the charge of nearly £600 and after 10 weeks I had a watch that was as shiny as when it was new, scuffs polished out etc. I didn't have to pay until I had the watch back.

Was I ripped off? Probably, but I didn't want to risk a poor quality repair or worse still, a broken watch.

Chris

I have a 1912 mantle clock which inherited and does not work. I've taken it to our local (ancient) clock/watch guru, and he's advised that the entire mechanical movement needs to be disassembled cleaned and restored, but NOT replaced for new...previous sheer neglect apparently is the reason the clock topped tickin lol. It's going to be a dear do, and I have a fund going lol.....but I can't wait till she's chiming again.

So I agreed to the charge of nearly £600 and after 10 weeks I had a watch that was as shiny as when it was new, scuffs polished out etc. I didn't have to pay until I had the watch back.
I have heard before that watches which get sent off to the manufacturer for repair come back looking like brand new watches - all nicely buffed and polished
with new seals etc. So think of it as having your watch restored back to original quality in order to ease the pain of the high cost!

Its an Omega not a Timex! They 're quality watches that require servicing !
If it was a Rolex its nearer £900 for a service

Yup, my Dad's Rolex (which I inherited a couple of years ago - nice watch but I'd rather have Dad!) cost me £750 or so for a service (which included a replacement glass). They also wanted about the same for a bracelet... Watch runs fine (although not as accurate as my others) and is fitted with a £25 bracelet which does exactly the same job as the expensive one (but hasn't got Rolex stamped on it!)

I bought a "Rolex" from a bloke on a street corner in Turkey back in 2006 for £4 ,I wear it every day, never had it serviced and its used 4 batteries I got out of a multipack from poundland. :LOL:

Well this and MANY other threads on overly priced timepieces is the reason why I will be getting a Supercharger for my 50th birthday(y)

Although - I will have to endure a lot of whining :LOL::LOL::LOL:

So think of it as having your watch restored back to original quality in order to ease the pain of the high cost!

You're right there TB, it was like having a new watch, expensive, but hopefully it will keep on going for many years to come and there's something special about having a watch that never needs winding and doesn't have a battery.

Chris

I looked on various watch forums when my quartz Seamaster needed a battery and was recommended this chap who quoted me £10 including re-seal and pressure test. http://www.tictocman.com When I took it to him the battery had leaked, he tried to clean it up as best he could but in the end he couldn't revive it. I was really impressed with the service and would have had him do the work but he'd have needed the watch for 2 weeks and its strictly collection only (although you can mail watches to them, they just don't mail back).

Last edited:
Back