weekly ams99 - 52 Challenge - Week 52 Water

Another novel and well executed shot - brightness differences aside, another good submission!

Thanks Graham.

I am now looking at going head first into understanding light. Absolutely fascinating what a difference light sources, positioning, distance and light manipulation makes. First steps on a long, long journey...............

Hi Alan

First food shot I am going to be really picky but it seems to lean to the right slightly and it could do with being slightly brighter.
The placement of the jars if you are going to place them needs to be perfect, gaps between them and labels, these are slightly off.
BG is a good even colour but grey isn't the best colour.
Some people will say odd numbers are better
compositionally, I think they might be right.

Number 2 is much better, tomato is nice and sharp and a good black BG, colour and lighting are all spot on (y)

Tomatoes are an excellent choice for the theme too :LOL:

Hi Alan

First food shot I am going to be really picky but it seems to lean to the right slightly and it could do with being slightly brighter.
The placement of the jars if you are going to place them needs to be perfect, gaps between them and labels, these are slightly off.
Some people will say odd numbers are better
compositionally, I think they might be right.

Number 2 is much better, tomato is nice and sharp and a good black BG, colour and lighting are all spot on (y)

Tomatoes are an excellent choice for the theme too :LOL:

Opportunities for improvement noted. Cheers Allan

Really like the tomatoe shot and that I can see its nice and juicy!
I don't dislike the first shot and I don't think I'd be so picky as Allan ;). ...however the other shot is just more dynamic and jumps out if the screen at me more :)

Hi Alan

:agree: Nicely put.

Tomato shot is fabulous mate. Well done. :)

do agree the herb jars need to be perfectly aligned for this type of shot - grey BG works well with the greens, not sure 4 is the best number to use either??

tomato is great - can really feel the wetness and juiciness of it.

Nice work on the BG, the slight red in the reflection grounds it nicely.;

do agree the herb jars need to be perfectly aligned for this type of shot - grey BG works well with the greens, not sure 4 is the best number to use either??

tomato is great - can really feel the wetness and juiciness of it.

Nice work on the BG, the slight red in the reflection grounds it nicely.;

Thanks Graham.

I can't understand what is going on here. Ive jumped on a laptop and used Chrome. The site is different and various buttons don't exist ????

Hi Alan

Food......2 good submissions......The herb jars I like ( still feel 3 or 5 would be even better ) just need to cw rotate the 2 rh jars a smidge to lose the bar codes ,colors are good with no real highlights , bg is good & fairly evenly lit with just a hint of lighter band approx 1/3 down , you may be able to overcome this by moving the jars slightly further away from the curve in the bg or by using a reflector .

The Tomato I just love....sharp as a tack , great red against the black , good texture & juice in the tom as well......top marks form me mister :clap:

Hi Alan

Food......2 good submissions......The herb jars I like ( still feel 3 or 5 would be even better ) just need to cw rotate the 2 rh jars a smidge to lose the bar codes ,colors are good with no real highlights , bg is good & fairly evenly lit with just a hint of lighter band approx 1/3 down , you may be able to overcome this by moving the jars slightly further away from the curve in the bg or by using a reflector .

The Tomato I just love....sharp as a tack , great red against the black , good texture & juice in the tom as well......top marks form me mister :clap:

Thanks Lynne.

I'm all excited now. Ive just made my first snoot. Woop Woop!

Hi Alan

Reflection - very good arrangement, I like the fade of colour from top to bottom and the colours and b/g (y)
Melt - #1 - hard to get any sort of focus on a candle flame IMO but I like the colours and i think that the crop suits ti, i.e taking off the sides.
#2 the choc cake is very well shot - nice detail and colour and texture. The 'melt' bit tho does not seem to be coming from the cake - more a melted choc in which the cake is sitting.
#3 - the sponge is well taken part from the point of focus and dof - but others, partic Marsha, have pointed out how to handle that. I think that you have caught the colour of sponge and jam well.

Left - good original idea and the tonal differences have been pointed out but immediately I thought of the explanation that you have put in post #437 i.e. that hands being exposed to the elements are often a different colour/tone and hardness/softness to the soles of feet which are kept in the dark :D Very good treatment tho. :clap:

Aah missed two

Food - agree with others about the spice jars - I think that the b/g is a bit dull, rather than just neutral and the jars need a bit of punch i their colours. Also agree with all that is said that compositionally odd numbers are better than even - you only have to look at the odd numbers of peas in DK's melt to see how an even number would have spoiled it.:rolleyes:

Tomato - is terrific - very good colour and detail and really captures the succulence of the fruit (unless you think that it is a vegetable ;))

Hi Alan

Reflection - very good arrangement, I like the fade of colour from top to bottom and the colours and b/g (y)
Melt - #1 - hard to get any sort of focus on a candle flame IMO but I like the colours and i think that the crop suits ti, i.e taking off the sides.
#2 the choc cake is very well shot - nice detail and colour and texture. The 'melt' bit tho does not seem to be coming from the cake - more a melted choc in which the cake is sitting.
#3 - the sponge is well taken part from the point of focus and dof - but others, partic Marsha, have pointed out how to handle that. I think that you have caught the colour of sponge and jam well.

Left - good original idea and the tonal differences have been pointed out but immediately I thought of the explanation that you have put in post #437 i.e. that hands being exposed to the elements are often a different colour/tone and hardness/softness to the soles of feet which are kept in the dark :D Very good treatment tho. :clap:

Cheers Alan. You are absolutely correct about the melted portion being a choc. Got the darn stuff everywhere !!:eek:

Aah missed two

Food - agree with others about the spice jars - I think that the b/g is a bit dull, rather than just neutral and the jars need a bit of punch i their colours. Also agree with all that is said that compositionally odd numbers are better than even - you only have to look at the odd numbers of peas in DK's melt to see how an even number would have spoiled it.:rolleyes:

Tomato - is terrific - very good colour and detail and really captures the succulence of the fruit (unless you think that it is a vegetable ;))

Actually, the number of peas in DKs melt is even .....1,2,3,4,5,6 ............. :LOL: :runaway:

Good work Alan on both images, #2 gets my vote over #1 for the reasons others have stated above.

The tomato is so well lit, capturing the lovely detail in there, the vibrant colours jump off the screen (y)

Well, that's a perfect exposure. The blacks are as black as can be and you kept the detail in the whites, which are white. Good contrast on the face has kept it 3D (it's so easy to go too far and end up "flat").

I think you have done an excellent job of this. :clap:

Hi
I have to agree with Brian, very good. Good exposure and contrast can't fault it :clap:

Technically very good Alan as others have mentioned (y)
Another selfie for this weeks theme, quite brave IMHO maybe because I myself have a face for radio ;)

Like it. The lighting looks good and the contemplative expression works well. The black BG is good as well.

Composition, I'd have been tempted to crop a tad more off the RHS. I wasn't sure about the very bright tie things, but feel they do stop you from floating.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Like it. The lighting looks good and the contemplative expression works well. The black BG is good as well.

Composition, I'd have been tempted to crop a tad more off the RHS. I wasn't sure about the very bright tie things, but feel they do stop you from floating.

Cheers.

Cheers Andy. Im normally floating after several beers on a friday night

Hi Alan
No shoehorn required "mans best friend"
Its a really good pic too, sharp where it should be, well lit and a great composition :clap:
I like it.

What type of dog is it?

yeah - nice low POV, nothing distracting, got the eye contact and really captured the shaggy coat of your furry friend! :clap:

Back