annoying lightroom crashes due to gpu

Name
alastair
Edit My Images
Yes
I was reading a thread on slr lounge about speeding up lightroom, I done as they suggested and enlarged the cache file which has helped, but i also stupidly turned on "use graphics processor" but now its god awful slow and I cant turn it off without lightroom crashing.

Any suggestions?

please help this is driving me insane

Ali

I had, what I suspect, was the same problem. I upgraded to Lightroom CC and switched to "Use graphics processor" as advised and all seemed ok.
Just recently I have been getting "Lightroom not responding" messages on start up and had to shut down via task manager. Things were usually fine on second start up.
The past couple of days I have been getting "Lightroom not responding" at random times (sometimes in the develop module).
I switched the "Use graphics processor" button to "Off" and all is well. It did take a few tries though as the action of switching it of triggered the warning message
Give it a few more tries.

The Lightroom GPU system truly is crap. I've just splashed £2.5k on a new iMac with the top CPU, 32 Gb RAM, the best GPU available and SSD, and still Lightroom is much slower with GPU enabled.

As far as I'm concerned it's just b******t marketing.

You mention enlarging the cache helped. Can you describe how to do this? It might be worth a try for me.

@mickledore , go to file handling and increase camera raaw cache settings, put it to something like 20 or 50gb, it did help speed things up a bit for me before i enabled gpu crap thingy! more found here

The Lightroom GPU system truly is crap. I've just splashed £2.5k on a new iMac with the top CPU, 32 Gb RAM, the best GPU available and SSD, and still Lightroom is much slower with GPU enabled.

As far as I'm concerned it's just b******t marketing.

Totally agree, if you turn on GPU acceleration for some reason the system becomes unstable, mine just locks up with it turned on.
If you look on adobe for Lightroom +GPU accleration there are quite a few articles and from my reading it does not make a great deal of difference when it works, it seems to cause more problems than it solves

I had, what I suspect, was the same problem. I upgraded to Lightroom CC and switched to "Use graphics processor" as advised and all seemed ok.
Just recently I have been getting "Lightroom not responding" messages on start up and had to shut down via task manager. Things were usually fine on second start up.
The past couple of days I have been getting "Lightroom not responding" at random times (sometimes in the develop module).
I switched the "Use graphics processor" button to "Off" and all is well. It did take a few tries though as the action of switching it of triggered the warning message
Give it a few more tries.

this is exactly whats happening with me, i did give it a bunch more tries but still cant without it crashing, was hoping someone here might have a workaround.

@mickledore , go to file handling and increase camera raaw cache settings, put it to something like 20 or 50gb, it did help speed things up a bit for me before i enabled gpu crap thingy! more found here

When you did that did it work OK or did it fall over when you enabled GPU acceleration?

Good point. I somewhat naively read it to mean that the cache increase worked fine. It is just the GPU tweak that is causing problems.

cache worked fine, enabled gpu then broke it!!! only way i can see to fix this is to delete and reinstall, as its so damn slow and everything i do now is painful even swapping from library to develope is slow

quick update, deleted and reinstalled lightroom, strangely the tickbox for gpu was still ticked but i was able to turn off withoutit crashing, lightroom running as it should now. my advice DONT DO IT!! DONT TURN ON GPU.

thanks to those who replied

Ali

I'm also suffering lag on my new iMac 5K :(

I found this information online and used it with success on a Win 10 PC... CAVEAT EMPTOR please.

"here’s a way to turn off the GPU without opening Lightroom.

Restart your machine. This is essential (especially on Mac), so that the preferences are not stored in memory when we edit them-or they will just be overwritten. When I was working on this, I hadn’t, and every time Lightroom reopened it would revert the settings back to before I’d saved.

Find the Lightroom preferences file. On Mac, hold down Option and then select Library (hidden without the Option key) from the Go menu. Open the Preferences folder and search for com.adobe.Lightroom6.plist. On PC go to C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences\Lightroom 6 Preferences.agprefs where [user name] is your login name.

Open the file in a text editor. Don’t use Word, etc, use Text Edit or Notepad.

Search for

useAutoBahn

Now on the line below this, change true to false and save.

It should now look like this:

<key>useAutoBahn</key>
<false/>

Now start Lightroom. The GPU will be off. Hopefully if the GPU is your crash issue, this should let you start Lightroom."

Anthony.

Wouldn't it be easier to just delete the preferences file rather than uninstall and re install the whole program?

As far as the GPU goes, it doesn't make LR run any faster overall, its only used for a few things, and Adobe themselves have said it can slow the overall speed down.

Yes, best avoided until Adobe sort it out (probably never going to happen in our lifetime).

Is it safe to update to the last eat version now?

Totally agree, if you turn on GPU acceleration for some reason the system becomes unstable, mine just locks up with it turned on.
If you look on adobe for Lightroom +GPU accleration there are quite a few articles and from my reading it does not make a great deal of difference when it works, it seems to cause more problems than it solves

Turned mine off at the weekend and it made the develop module slow and the book module crash. Turned it back on and all well again. This is Lightroom 6.21 and Windows 10.
Only trouble with 6.21 is they broke Import and turned it into my first adobe, but you can turn off that initial screen in preferences.

I was reading a thread on slr lounge about speeding up lightroom, I done as they suggested and enlarged the cache file which has helped, but i also stupidly turned on "use graphics processor" but now its god awful slow and I cant turn it off without lightroom crashing.

Any suggestions?

please help this is driving me insane

Ali

It makes a very noticable speed improvememnt to zooming, scrolling etc here. It's silky smooth with GPU acceleration on, and noticeably stuttery and choppy with it off, and that's with a 6 core processor running at nearly 5GHz.

What GPU do you have?

£2.5k on a new iMac with the top CPU, 32 Gb RAM, the best GPU available

Unfortunately, the best GPU available for a iMac is actually pretty crap. It's not using Intel Iris thing is it?

Last edited:
It makes a very noticable speed improvememnt to zooming, scrolling etc here. It's silky smooth with GPU acceleration on, and noticeably stuttery and choppy with it off, and that's with a 6 core processor running at nearly 5GHz.

What GPU do you have?

Unfortunately, the best GPU available for a iMac is actually pretty crap. It's not using Intel Iris thing is it?

No. The specs of my Mac are

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
4.0GHz quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 4.2GHz
32GB 1867MHz DDR3 SDRAM - four 8GB
512GB Flash Storage
AMD Radeon R9 M395X with 4GB video memory
Magic Mouse 2
Magic Keyboard (British) & User’s Guide (English)
Accessory Kit

Lightroom runs much better with GPU turned off. Very disappointing as I spent an additional £200 for the upgraded GPU specifically for LR.

The Radeon R9 M395X while not exactly terrible, is a cut back, low power version of the R9 series designed as a "mobile" version for laptops... not exactly gonna set your pants on fire compared to PC offerings, but should still cause no issues with lightroom. You are however using a rather pedestrian GPU to run a 5k screen, so maybe your expectations are too much. The M395 is pretty much a mid range GPU in terms of performance. Even so.... Lightroom is not exactly like trying to run the latest version of Battlefield on a 5K screen, so no idea why it's slower without it, as it shouldn't be at all, at worst, it should make no difference.. not slow it down, particularly as your processor is not exactly cutting edge either. This must be an issue with Mac OS and Lightroom, not a hardware issue at all.

All I know is that it makes visual rendering, zooming etc, silky smooth here when activated, but then again, A) I'm only running at 2560x1600 and I've got a far more powerful GPU.

Last edited:
would agree with pookey, turning on GPU acceleration with a mediocre graphics chip isnt really going to speed things up. but at the same time it should be smart enough to know when using the CPU is more beneficial.

Back