Another what camera thread...

Edit My Images
No
Ladies and Gents

I am looking for my first DSLR and I am currently tossing up between:
New Nikon D3100 with kit lens, tripod, SD card and bag
OR
A refurbished D5100 with kit lens.

The refurb is cheaper by nearly £50 but what are your views on refurbished cameras?

The camera will be used for surveillance work predominantly but I am also going to be using it for photographing people, mainly in a studio type environment.

I have been thinking of going for the D5100 as it has the night vision mode which pushes ISO to 102,400 (I appreciate only in monochrome) but i'm not sure how good this is in real life e.g. would it show a face from a distance at night.

I appreciate the lenses will play a part as well which may mean I don't have to push the ISO quite as high which is why I'm in a bit of a quandary!

Any and all views are appreciated.

Last edited:
I posted this in Talk Equipment but asked the mods to move it here as I think I posted it in the wrong place initially.

Your views would be gratefully received.

Well then!
banana_sad.gif

:nikon:

... but since it's 262 days since ph80 posted his request, I guess it doesn't really matters anymore!
biggrin.gif

Ph80,
Personally I would go for the D5100, I've just sold my D3100 body only and bought a D5100 body only. I think you should go with the latest camera you can afford, it saves upgrading later, and you would only say in 6 months I wish I'd bought that. Nothing wrong with the D3100 I just felt like an upgrade and I got a good deal!!! Having now used the D5100, I'm glad I changed, it has got some mods which are very usefull, and slightly more pixels. There are some great deals to be had on D5100, especially now the D5300 has been released. Refurbished cameras are as new if bought from a proper dealer.
The D3100 has the guide mode which some people find useful. A good guide book would replace the guide mode, and I can recomend Nikon D3100 from Snapshots to Great Shots, and also D5100 from Snapshots to Great Shots by the same author.

Good luck.

My guess is, that Ph80 bought the D5100 some 260 days ago... (y)

At least according to info page, where it says, he has (had?) one.

Info page also says, he hasn't posted here since May...

Back