Any Campers Here

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
We have been camping for a few years now, good holidays and great for getting out in places that are good for photos and visiting interesting places.
We did start with a small 4 person tent, but now have a large blow up bungalow to have some home from home comforts, I am thinking of buying a small hiking tent and gear to do a bit of wild camping
during the winter months..............mad.........maybe.

Lets see your set ups.

Heres our little set up
2015-06-28%2012.44.02_zpsekz3jghp.jpg

My setup used at last years Isle of Man TT races, as you can probably tell I'm no camping expert! It did the job for 9 nights though. ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1447669853.844559.jpg

That's quite a decent setup Rich, a bit similar to one of our first tents.

Photography is not the only pastime that can suffer from GAS, we currently have 4 tents ranging from one that can just about hold two to a monster that could do eight at a push, a pile of sleeping bags and mats and beds and a fair proportion of a shed full of chairs, stoves, tables and the like.

I don't think I've got any decent photos of the typical set-up though

<edit>
just remembered we have an old steel framed job in the loft; oh, and the marquee we bought for a party we had in the garden (well it was cheaper than hiring one).

Last edited:
Ive only been camping a few times , the first was a solo wild camp just to try my compact hiking tent , the second time I had a few days off work so decided to chuck it all in the car boot and had a road trip upto Skye , the tent is great but I think I would prefer more headroom and a little area I can cook in , trying to make bacon and eggs in the freezing howling wind whilst holding my little torch proved a bit awkward

@JBuk you need a head torch it makes the work of difference, free hands and the light is always pointing where you are looking.

@Dangermouse1964 I assume your "blow up bungalow" is a Vango AirBeam? Just wondering how well it works, especially if it is windy, does it stand up OK or do the sides get pushed in?

Hi Chris, yes its an eclipse and after being out in the storms earlier I can say its far better than a poled tent, the sides do move a little bit but once the storm straps (TBS) are on you don't really notice any real movement.

@JBuk you need a head torch it makes the work of difference, free hands and the light is always pointing where you are looking.

A head torch is invaluable for camping (sorting out gear, cooking, reading, going to the toilet etc), and a whole lot of other things, for the reasons you mention. I've kept one and spare batteries in the car for years, after battling to change a wheel on a very dark night in South Africa. There was no street lighting, and holding a flashlight in your mouth while you're jacking the car up, positioning the spare and replacing the bolts is a pain!

I'd also suggest the OP chat to a good outdoor store. Winter camping in the UK means buying a tent with good wind and water resistance, and they can be expensive.

We have been camping for a few years now, good holidays and great for getting out in places that are good for photos and visiting interesting places.
We did start with a small 4 person tent, but now have a large blow up bungalow to have some home from home comforts, I am thinking of buying a small hiking tent and gear to do a bit of wild camping
during the winter months..............mad.........maybe

Went camping for the week end a little while ago, bloomin freezing. Fully clothed inside a sleeping, with a blanket over and still cold. Will probably only do it in the warmer months now, I am starting to feel the cold now :(

Was your sleeping mat insulated enough?

Last time I went I took a single sized duvet too and put it on my mat, was very comfy and warm

Was your sleeping mat insulated enough?

Last time I went I took a single sized duvet too and put it on my mat, was very comfy and warm

Who were you referring too? If it was at me, I had no proper insulation. Everything was borrowed from people, I was badly prepared :)

We use a double campbed with 15cm airbed on top then a double sleeping bag all held together with a double sheet and a 13tog quilt on top.........very cozy even in -7 and frost

2015-03-09%2006.19.00_zpsaww5qpxo.jpg

Who were you referring too? If it was at me, I had no proper insulation. Everything was borrowed from people, I was badly prepared :)

Sorry quote didn't work for some reason

When I say insulation I mean it in regards to the actual mat, my compact self inflating mat is very thin and lightweight but is warmer than my cheap single sized airbed as it insulates from the cold ground much better

Although I would still rather not camp in the really cold heh

This was my set up for my last trip to wales at the end of October. Just a Hooped bivi and a sleeping bag with a tarp over the top. The zip on the bivi broke, so there was a bit of a draft, but wasn't too bad. Did 2 nights in all with that set up, but didn't use the tarp the second night, just the bivi on its own.

DSCF0381 by Tom, on Flickr

I prefer the comforts of my caravan. Hot water, fridge, Bed, heating, TV, oven, etc.. I'll let you decide if its still camping or not.

We use to do a lot of camping using a tent, these days we prefer to be more mobile, we have another trip
to the Highlands planned for a couple of weeks beginning next week, hoping to see some more good birds and of
course the Aurora.

This is what we use these days, its a converted Transit Van with all mod cons inside including a good hot air blown heater
which I feel sure will be seeing a lot of use soon.

Fanny the Tranny by Mike, on Flickr

I'm Brian and I'm a Tentaholic

At least that's what my wife says :D

I've got tents for all seasons.... hiking tents to Gin Palaces..... depending on where, when & how long for :)

Can anyone recommend a decent lightweight 2 man tent? Been thinking about getting one for a wee while now but never done anything about it, some experienced views would be appreciated.

Sorry quote didn't work for some reason

When I say insulation I mean it in regards to the actual mat, my compact self inflating mat is very thin and lightweight but is warmer than my cheap single sized airbed as it insulates from the cold ground much better

Although I would still rather not camp in the really cold heh

Nope, just a sleeping bag lying on blankets, yes mad I know but it was a last minute thing, I was only told on the day. Next time I will make sure I have the proper stuff :)

Can anyone recommend a decent lightweight 2 man tent? Been thinking about getting one for a wee while now but never done anything about it, some experienced views would be appreciated.
Depends what you want to do with it...
Hiking will end up with a lighter and slightly more expensive tent.
Year round use including surviving storms in mountainous areas will end up with a more substantial design, heavier and probably more expensive. Desirable to have a big enough porch to cook in during wet weather.
If wild camping, then a design that isn't overly dependant on getting pegs in exactly the right places is desirable.
In Summer mesh should allow decent ventilation while keeping the midges out. In winter also highly desirable to be able to seal the mesh to keep the heat in.

For summer car camping I have a Gelert double skinned pop-up tent - spacious, well aired and quick to erect.
For 4-season camping including wild camps in the high mountains I use a Quasar Ultra (bit heavy but utterly bombproof, load can be shared while hiking), or a Goretex bivvy bag (not ideal in wet weather except as a refuge).

When I'm away in one place for a week, Outwell Texas XL. It's a 6 man tent but fits me perfectly ;)

tent1.jpg

When I'm away for a few nights and want some space, Outwell Rockwell 3. It's only a 3 man tent but I squeeze in :)

tent3.jpg

When I'm away in hard weather, a Vango Halo 300. A 3 man tent with reasonable headroom & door either side

tent2.jpg

I've got a Vango Banshee 200 for trekking / wild camping but not used it yet....it was going cheap & I couldn't help myself :D

According to someone, any of those should be pitched at the bottom of that lake to prevent your snoring from disturbing other campers, Brian!!! ;)

According to someone, any of those should be pitched at the bottom of that lake to prevent your snoring from disturbing other campers, Brian!!! ;)

That's why when I camp I go away from anyone else :)

Ps. That's not a lake, it's a Sea Loch on Skye :)

Looks pretty!

Too old and creaky for camping these days but used to do a fair bit. Ended up with a 6 man ridge tent for the 2 of us with a double air bed and duvet plus blanket(s). On a motorbike! Now firmly in the hotel department.

Looks pretty!

Too old and creaky for camping these days but used to do a fair bit. Ended up with a 6 man ridge tent for the 2 of us with a double air bed and duvet plus blanket(s). On a motorbike! Now firmly in the hotel department.

In my youth I used to go camping with the girlfriend on the Motorbike with 5 stone of kit :)

(My wife reckons that anything less than 4 star hotels is roughing it)

I've recently reached to the age where you daydream about campervans!!
Unfortunately after a little research, it seems the one I want starts at around £30,000 for a used model.....

started to go camping in Newquay back in 1999 it all started when me n the wife decided to go down south to watch the eclipse so threw a 2 man tent and some essentials into the boot of the car and ended up in Newquay for the weekend
16 years on and we still camp at the same camp site 2 or 3 times a year but it's turned into a real family event

it's gone from this, just the 2 of us in 1999

to this plus 2 tents behind me not in the snapshot

i think there was 24 of us this august, it's great fun but were not wild campers by any stretch of the imagination we use it as an excuse to have a proper family gathering

Last edited:
another tentaholic here - i have a bivi, a 1 man, a 2 man a four man and a collosal one thats big enough to get a motorbike inside ... though my favourite is a warm sleeping bag under the stars , or with a tarp if it looks as though it might rain

Depends what you want to do with it...
Hiking will end up with a lighter and slightly more expensive tent.
Year round use including surviving storms in mountainous areas will end up with a more substantial design, heavier and probably more expensive. Desirable to have a big enough porch to cook in during wet weather.
If wild camping, then a design that isn't overly dependant on getting pegs in exactly the right places is desirable.
In Summer mesh should allow decent ventilation while keeping the midges out. In winter also highly desirable to be able to seal the mesh to keep the heat in.

For summer car camping I have a Gelert double skinned pop-up tent - spacious, well aired and quick to erect.
For 4-season camping including wild camps in the high mountains I use a Quasar Ultra (bit heavy but utterly bombproof, load can be shared while hiking), or a Goretex bivvy bag (not ideal in wet weather except as a refuge).

Thanks for that, most useful.

I'm thinking it'll start with summer camping and not too far from where I park the car. Maybe up to an hours walk? Something like that anyway. The thinking behind getting a tent is that in order to be out in the countryside (highlands of scotland, Glencoe etc.) at the golden/blue hour I can either leave the house at about 2am or I could just go the night before and camp for the night.

I'm thinking it'll start with summer camping and not too far from where I park the car. Maybe up to an hours walk? Something like that anyway. The thinking behind getting a tent is that in order to be out in the countryside (highlands of scotland, Glencoe etc.)

I'd definitely go for lightweight then. I have a Vango Spectre (which now seems to be called the Vango Banshee) which is pretty light (about 2.5kg IIRC) and I think very good value for the money but you may want to spend a bit more and get something a bit bigger or lighter. Personally I always make an effort to go and look at a tent before I buy because it is often the little details that make the difference, things like where the zips are, can you sit up to cook, etc. If you haven't got a shop with a display near you a trip to a mountain camp-site on a bank holiday weekend is a good place to start looking and you can ask people what they think of their tent.

been right through the spectrum over the years ,had a few cabanon canvas frame tents ,,followed by a 6 berth caravan ,as the family got older ,then sold up spent 15 years flitting off round the world while we were both working ,and bought a 6 berth folding camper to take grandkids and great grandkids on holiday over here ,that got to much like hard work with passing years sold it and managed to acquire this off a mate who had used it as a spare room ,totally bedraggled when we bought it but a long long weekend cleaning it up made it the best £500 i have ever spent ,2 berth ,blow air heating ,shower ,lightweight easy to tow, does the job for the two of us
grey nomads tour vehicle by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Thanks for that, most useful.

I'm thinking it'll start with summer camping and not too far from where I park the car. Maybe up to an hours walk? Something like that anyway. The thinking behind getting a tent is that in order to be out in the countryside (highlands of scotland, Glencoe etc.) at the golden/blue hour I can either leave the house at about 2am or I could just go the night before and camp for the night.
Then the decision is fairly easy - your photography means it is likely to be a settled period of weather so anything will do, carrying needs it to be light, location definitely needs it to be 100% midge proof!

I know a photographer who uses a Vango Banshee 300 and is very happy with it.
Review
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_zMxrj9_Wk

Plus points are the side door is great for sitting in the tent with your camera on a tripod (great for comfort and keeping dew off the camera). Door on both sides means you can get out when there is cooking or camera gear in the main doorway.
Negative points - No mesh on the doors so can't see out when the midges are attacking and the mesh can't be covered up to reduce ventilation in extreme cold weather.
Still a solid recommendation though....

realistically midge proof is a fiction anyway - i tied a midge proof suit once , within 20 minuites there several midges inside it desperately trying to get out

Back