Any malt whisky fans in?

DorsetDude

Spud
Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
Who drink the stuff that is, not look at it in a cabinet.

Just ordered a Pulteney 21 year old and a sampler sized bottle ea of 18 year old Talisker and Highland Park. :love:

Can report back with tasting notes once it all arrives if desired! :nuts:

My current orgasmotron whisky, about half a bottle left, is Macallan Fine Oak masters edition. Exquisite stuff.

Wondered what other people rated and enjoyed?

:beer:

Last edited:
Talisker fan at the moment.

Was a wee bit disappointed with quarter-cask Laphroaig a few months ago, very, very sweet.

Mind you it was only £26 a bottle then and it required quite a few to confirm the sweetness:p

Last edited:
I've recently got into Whisky. In fact, I've not had beer/wine in ages. I only seem to drink Whisky at the mo.
Having said that, I'm a complete newbie.

I have a bottle of Glenfiddich 18yo which I managed to pick up at Tesco on clearance for £20. Whilst it's lovely and smooth, it's too good for me to fully appreciate the moment.
Right now, my baby taste buds prefer the taste of Grants Sherry Cask (blended). I'm sure this will change as my taste for whisky develops :D

Yes dont mind the Islays but I am (generally) more sherried finish types. Had a caol ila moch recently, that was very pleasant. Although today's purchases don't really show that!

The first malt I ever got was laphroaig quarter cask one christmas and it was good stuff. Better than Lagavulin 16 yo I thought when I tried that later.

If I push the boat out again I'll probably go for a Glenfarclas 18 or something similar.

Last edited:
The first malt I ever got was laphroaig quarter cask one christmas and it was good stuff. Better than Lagavulin 16 yo I thought when I tried that later.

58%+ :D

I tried a few after reading the barry eisler , john rain books (where the main protagonist is in to his single malts) - to be honest I couldnt see what the fuss was about so i went back to drinking the much cheaper glenfiddich - then I went teetotal anyway so the point became moot

I'm by no means an expert or connoisseur, but I love Lagavulin. I'd have a glass every evening if a) I could limit myself to that and b) If I could afford it.

My ex used to love a drop of malt whiskey - when he left (leaving them behind) I took great delight in using them in coffee :D

number one imho: ardbeg uigeadail
number two: lagavulin

not tried ardbeg corryvreckan yet but will seek it out

I'm not an Islay fan, two of my housemates are though so we have a few bottles of Ardbeg knocking around.

My preferred malts at the moment are The Balvenie Signature and Doublewood, when i have the funds I intend to get a bottle of Dalmore 15, Dalmore Cigar Malt and a Macallan 1990.

Tried a Dalmore King Alexander III and my god... It's excellent, however at £120 a bottle it's a little out of my price range

My ex used to love a drop of malt whiskey - when he left (leaving them behind) I took great delight in using them in coffee :D

:clap:

As with everything, especially booze, do what you like with what (or who!) you like - as long as nobody gets hurt (unless they want to be...), job's a good 'un!

I enjoy a good malt (and even a reasonable one) but other than an inherited bottle of 12yo Glenfiddich, we don't have any in the house. A few years ago on a visit to Edinburgh, we ended up being treated to a few glasses of assorted ages of Glenfiddich (at their expense) and we both found that it improves with age - maybe the angels taking their share smooths out some of the less refined edges of the younger whisky. TBH, I've not done an in depth study of malts to see which most tickle my tastebuds - could be an expensive exercise!

Personally, I'm a Highland/Speyside man. Tried one or two Lowland Malts (Auchentoshan was very nice, I recall), but in general not a huge fan of island/Islay whickies (with a few exceptions). That said, I'm slowly warming to them... Just need to keep trying.

Huge fan of Dalmore, Glenlivet, Balvenie, Aberlour, Glengarioch, Tomintoul, and Dalwhinnie to name a few... I find the Tomintouls actually on average get worse with age. The 10 and 12 are subtle and fantastic, the 16 is nice, but I found the 33 to be a little brash and unforgiving. Next bottles for me will be the Glenfiddich 21 / Balvenie 17 DoubleWood / glenlivet 18.

There is also a blend I'm very partial to called Bailie Nicol Jarvie. Really very drinkable and very cheap in the grand scheme of things.

I have a small collection building, but I'm by no means a cabinet admirer - I love the taste too much :D. That said, my bottle of the Dalmore King Alexanfer III is staying sealed until a special occasion!

Last edited:
My other half loves his but he was a tad cross when i used some in the marmalade i was making but it was only a 12 year old, been told if it had been the others...

I suspect this thread will run. My favourite is Blair Atholl. My idea of an all encompassing dram.

I bet P loves that marmalade though Terri!

Nod the whole section loves it he takes it over with him.. lol

542456_10150641144938667_1064340795_n.jpg

The Bailie Nicol Jarvie as mentioned by Woodsy is surprisingly good for a blend. I got given a bottle for Christmas, and it does the job quite nicely when I don't fancy cracking a glass of the better stuff.
I'm a relative newcomer to the world of whiskey drinking, I would love to visit some distilleries and learn a bit more about the "art" of whiskey. I have a few choice bottles at home, my favourites being Macallan Whiskey Makers edition, Laphroaig Quarter Cask (which is very peaty - but delicious) and a Talisker Distillers Edition, which is my second bottle of the stuff. I really enjoyed the first. I also like a Smokehead for everyday drinking (as in not special occasions, not that I drink it EVERY day)

I tend to switch between the speysides lighter fruitier ones to the heavy peaty ones.

As an aside I also live about 20 mins from the English whisky co - and their Chapter 6 is very nice as well.

Finally colleague bought me back a bottle of Amrut from India.... I blind tested my dad on it, (has a half decent collection) who loved it until I showed him the bottle...

Highland Park
Auchentoshan
Glenfiddich
Glenmorangie
Red Breast
Connemara
Dalwhinnie
Jura Superstition

Have yet to try Aberlour and Balvenie Signature

Last edited:
Yes dont mind the Islays but I am (generally) more sherried finish types.

If I push the boat out again I'll probably go for a Glenfarclas 18 or something similar.

Good shout! I went to a longditudinal tasting with George Grant of the Glenfarclas family a couple of years ago, and the best Glenfarclas seemed to be the 18 and 20 year olds. The 25s and over were just heavy and no better. [In fact George himself looked quite 'matured' for his thirty something years! :LOL: ]

But if you want a sherry finish, there are some early 1990s cask strength Glendronachs, albeit more expensive, that are HUGE! :love:

Grendel can confirm it, though the 1993 bottle I took round to visit him a few years ago is long gone! :D

WhiskEy should only be used in coffee. Malt whisky, could have been used to seduce a better bloke! :naughty: ;)

Yes dont mind the Islays but I am (generally) more sherried finish types.

Had the pleasure of trying some of the Family Casks from Glenfarclas a while back, but the pricing here is a little out of my reach, and sadly just special order only. Quite partial to their 15 Yr Old and export only 17 Yr Old (which is our biggest seller in BC). The 105 Cask Strength is a real chest warmer!!!

Was always a fan of the peaty side of Whisky, too...but recently I've found them all too astringent and overpowering. If I had to go for a specifc brand, then it would have to be Bruichladdich, their Classic line and Rocks inparticular.

Last edited:
Good shout! I went to a longditudinal tasting with George Grant of the Glenfarclas family a couple of years ago, and the best Glenfarclas seemed to be the 18 and 20 year olds. The 25s and over were just heavy and no better. [In fact George himself looked quite 'matured' for his thirty something years! :LOL: ]

But if you want a sherry finish, there are some early 1990s cask strength Glendronachs, albeit more expensive, that are HUGE! :love:

Grendel can confirm it, though the 1993 bottle I took round to visit him a few years ago is long gone! :D

But the memory lingers strong :love: :)

Malts are overrated a good blend is my choice and I am a whisky drinker. BNJ mentioned earlier is as good as any malt I have ever tasted. Just my opinion of course.

Steve

Favourite must be 18 year old Highland Park but at £80 a bottle, my wife rations it :LOL:. So tend to normally partake either Macallan or a Balvenie.

Last edited:
15yo Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Bowmore 15 & 25 are my faves.

I've got a collectors edition of Glenfiddich - Snow Phoenix (posh metal box etc) - can't decide whether to drink if or flog it

Phil

Back