Any malt whisky fans in?

My brother-in-law gave me a bottle of Jura Superstition last week which I've been enjoying this week. It's 43% and with just a few drops of water it is absolutely beautiful.

I had heard that Superstition had gone downhill a bit. Glad to know its still pleasurable!

Ive got my eye on a Bowmore small batch release thats on offer in Sainsburys. Or at least it was on Monday.

I had heard that Superstition had gone downhill a bit. Glad to know its still pleasurable!

Ive got my eye on a Bowmore small batch release thats on offer in Sainsburys. Or at least it was on Monday.

It's funny you say that about Superstition going downhill. I had always preferred the standard Jura to the Superstition so was quite surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Might need to do a comparison with the two tonight. :naughty:

So my comparison of Jura Origin up against Jura Superstition was interesting to say the least. And quite enjoyable!

For a long time Jura Origin was my 'go to' malt. I had tried some of the other Jura bottlings, including Superstition but always preferred the Origin. But not now it seems.

Having just tried Jura Origin I was actually disappointed with it. I found it quite clinical on the nose and with a very metallic finish that went on and on and on.

The Superstition on the other hand I really enjoyed. The nose is full of fire and smoke but when you taste it there is some gentle spice but it's also quite sweet. No long finish with this one.

Superstition has just usurped Origin as my favourite single malt I think.

I have only tried Origin before, but was in Sainsbury on Tuesday and they had Superstition reduced from £33 to £24 and was therefore obliged to buy a bottle for scientific comparison, hopefully this weekend! ;)

Just noticed this thread.
My new favs are Dalmore, Glenfarclas and Penderyn.
My taste seemed to have changed over the last year, less peat, smoke, seaweed now liking more sweet after tastes.
Also now drinking a dram with just one drop of water is my norm.

I have a bottle of Glenfiddich that I bottled myself at the distillery about 8 years ago. Not sure if you can still do that but it cost me £60 at the time - comes with a unique label, registered in a book and in a nice wooden box.
Saving it for retirement (or to light the fire for my coffin if I don't get that far:))

I've been enjoying a few drams of cask strength Ardbeg Corryvreckan tonight.

Not everybody's cup of tea but a good one for the peaty / Islay lovers.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying a few drams of cask strength Ardbeg Corryvreckan tonight. Not everybody's cup of tea but a good one for the peaty / Isla lovers.

The Corryvreckan is up there in my all time favorite Islays, along with the Arbeg Uigeadail :love:

I tried the Glenfiddich 15 yo Distillery edition 50%, disappointed. Very harsh. Ended up with 3 teaspoons of water in and was still a bit "rip your throat out" even then. Also not as tasty as the Glenfiddich Solera was the last time I had it.
Meanwhile the Bowmore small batch reserve is safely ensconced in my "not opened yet" cupboard.

Oi get back to your prezzie wrapping :naughty:
You'll have plenty of glasses of whisky on Christmas Eve ;) :beer:

My brother-in-law gave me a bottle of Jura Superstition last week which I've been enjoying this week. It's 43% and with just a few drops of water it is absolutely beautiful.

Superstition is on offer at our local Saino's so I picked up a bottle today (@ 24 quid). Will report back after a couple of snifters during the course of the weekend. Always fun trying a new whisky

I have only tried Origin before, but was in Sainsbury on Tuesday and they had Superstition reduced from £33 to £24 and was therefore obliged to buy a bottle for scientific comparison, hopefully this weekend! ;)

Just spotted this. Snap!

Back