SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Seen mixed reviews.

Trying to track down a new Canon 5ds and the usual grey places are out of stock, On Buy have one at £1350 which isn't terrible but it seems like a market place so not entirely trusting of it.

Has anyone here used it?

@SFTPhotography. Avoid mate...

Can you find me a new D5 and a "grey" price?

Last edited:
@SFTPhotography. Avoid mate...

There's one on Amazon at £1700 or so, I know it'll come but that price, you could get them not much over half that 8 months ago. That an a 100-400 and I'm set. MPB prices are crazy for them.

Onbuy would be a no from me. Have they been officially discontinued yet? I can see MPB have an 'excellent' one for around £1500.

Onbuy would be a no from me. Have they been officially discontinued yet? I can see MPB have an 'excellent' one for around £1500.

I think they have. It bugs me to buy a used one, they were £1100 or so on the grey sites. Amazon have one but at £1750 or so, seems a lot if I had just pounced a few months earlier. There is always evil bay.

Apparently the OnBuy one is new, but I have no real way of verifying that. B&H in the US are out of stock but they expect more in, and maybe importing from the USA might work out.

Yep - when I was living in Malaysia - they dropped locally there as low as £1000 - I was so tempted, but at the time money was tight - so I didn't get one... There was a time when they almost couldn't give them away - but now they're scarce again, the price is creeping up.

Yep - when I was living in Malaysia - they dropped locally there as low as £1000 - I was so tempted, but at the time money was tight - so I didn't get one... There was a time when they almost couldn't give them away - but now they're scarce again, the price is creeping up.

There's one on Evil Bay I'm asking about. Seller has 4 brand new ones, probably bought them when they was dirt cheap.

I've seen some images off them and honestly I was very impressed tbh and used/seen enough Canon camera's to know this is very good indeed.

I'll find a 100-400 either new grey or used off here and boom I am sorted, someone on here has a 70-200 2.8 L gen 2 which has caught my eye.

I don't use Facebook. Would prefer an actual new, un-used body. I've seen how folk treat cameras running workshops, seeing other professionals around and shoddy DIY scratch the sensor cleaning.

The guy in evil bay says his brand new, just eqnuiring re boxes/packaging etc.

Another dude has one in the USA, new, from an insurance pay out, tempted but the import duty is going to kill it.

Secured the 5DS - went for the new one in the USA on a submit best offer of $1300 USD - the import charges eBay make you pay drive that up to £1300 delivered but it's brand new, never been used so I am happy. Bought through PayPal so have that buyer protection stuff. It's around £200 over the odds but with the grey importers out of stock, and it being a discontinued body this might just be the lay of the land.

I think time to find a 100-400 thing.

Last edited:
Back